Re: Confusing chapter view counts

I think this is more a question for readers than writers but I know there is a huge crossover here (I'm both!)

I'm slightly confused by my individual chapter view counts! For example, on Chapter 13 I have 12 views but on Chapter 12 I have only 5! 

Does this happen to anyone else/can anyone else shed some light on it? Surely most people start a book at Chapter 1, no?

Yes! I've noticed this!! 
I think it's normal.

Chapter 18= 75 views
Chapter 19= 135 views
But they're part 1 and part 2 and continues directly from the other so I find it funny how part 2 has more views.

But...

I'm wondering if it has to do with conversations happening on the comments at the bottom? Or readers being directed to your chapter 13 from somewhere and just diving into that before deciding whether to read on?

I keep a cheeky spreadsheet of my daily views for each chapter and there really isn't an obvious way to interpret the reads, except for the reader drop off nearly all people get from chapter 1 and 2. 

EnhancedBeing Wrote: I'm wondering if it has to do with conversations happening on the comments at the bottom? Or readers being directed to your chapter 13 from somewhere and just diving into that before deciding whether to read on?
I have zero comments but the same problem, but I think you're onto something on the second part. It's possible it has something to do with the story coming up in the newly updated, and people clicking on the chapter instead of the story.

WillNewbie Wrote:
EnhancedBeing Wrote: I'm wondering if it has to do with conversations happening on the comments at the bottom? Or readers being directed to your chapter 13 from somewhere and just diving into that before deciding whether to read on?
I have zero comments but the same problem, but I think you're onto something on the second part. It's possible it has something to do with the story coming up in the newly updated, and people clicking on the chapter instead of the story.

I think it must be that! Otherwise, I have no idea

DrakanLaugh

I always click on the chapter link, when browsing Latest Updates / New Releases. It also lets you immediately skim the writing quality without wasting more clicks 

And yeah, it makes sense if there's some comments and replies, that people would load the chapter again and again each time. But I was pretty sure each registered account can only add 1 view per chapter, so idk

I wouldn't waste too much time on it, you need pretty big numbers to be able to draw conclusions with any sort of security. There's just a huge amount of variance and randomness 

The traffic varies a lot, day-to-day