Re: Wattpad Immigrant

Hi, I'm new here. I had been reading books on Wattpad for about seven years but only recently mustered enough courage to try and publish a book there. Then I realised that I had a very romanticised version of Wattpad in my head while, in truth, the website is a shadowy husk of its former self. Depressing, really. But then I found this website and it looks incredibly promising.

I can't wait to start publishing a book here. The community seems a lot more sociable than that of the current iteration of Wattpad. I mostly switch between writing urban fantasy and high fantasy. Currently, I'm writing a vampire story set in London, and I'm having a lot of fun! I just received my first review and I can't wait to engage with more people on this website.

Probably_an_author Wrote: the website is a shadowy husk of its former self. Depressing, really.
From your lips to God's ear. I coudn't agree more. Especially about the depressing part. 

I used to have so much fun on Wattpad. I became a Top Ninety Percenter and won numerous contests, with 25 stories posted there. I had two short stories published in anthologies created by an international award winning author, and had a reading at an event in Toronto, and won Best Story in a contest hosted in India. 

I watched many of my friends back then go from Brand New Wattpad Authors to signing publishing contracts, some of them getting six figures. And then -- The Apocalypse. 

So now, I am here! And Welcome! I wish you the best of luck! 😻

Hello fellow Wattpad immigrant! I post on Wattpad, but kind of only as a formality. Ever since the forums were taken out, its felt like the site is dying. If you're trying to get some exposure, I'd recommend also posting on some other sites in addition to Royal Road. Scribblehub is pretty good I think. Fictionpress is okay. Inkitt sucks, don't waste time on Inkitt.

Welcome to Royal Road. Used to be on Wattpad myself so I can relate. I think you'll find your stories will find many more readers here. The Forums here are quite good and are much more geared to writing discussions. If you have any questions just ask, people here are always willing to offer advice and help. To learn more about the site check out the FAQ's under Support. Hope you enjoy Royal Road and that you get many readers. Good luck.

Thanks for replying everyone! I haven't figured out how to reply to each comment yet. So I'll just do it like this.

ArDeeBurger
I used to be so inspired by some authors on Wattpad. Namely Sarah Slater and Taran Matharu. They made me believe that, however slim, there was a chance that even I could be successful. And then, as you so eloquently put it, the apocalypse ☹️

And everyone else. 
Thanks for all the tips and motivation! You all seem so kind. 😊

Probably_an_author Wrote: I have a question. It's pretty normal on Wattpad to leave a small sentence at the bottom of each chapter, reminding the reader to review and leave their thoughts, but I can understand why some people might find that annoying. Would it be out of place to write something similar at the bottom of each chapter on Royal Road?
I believe you can use the post-chapter author note to do it. :)

Probably_an_author Wrote: I have a question. It's pretty normal on Wattpad to leave a small sentence at the bottom of each chapter, reminding the reader to review and leave their thoughts, but I can understand why some people might find that annoying. Would it be out of place to write something similar at the bottom of each chapter on Royal Road?
It wouldn't be out of place. But I wouldn't encourage you to spam it every chapter. The people who want to do it had already done it by the time they see the prompt for the umpteenth time. The readers who haven't, likely never will. So, after the first couple of "reminders", they won't serve much of a purpose. Maybe every couple of chapters is a perfect balance? I know that I, personally, don't really like seeing it.  

Also, maybe wait at least several chapters before asking that question. Readers who aren't fully hooked or immersed yet simply won't care and will ignore it

Probably_an_author Wrote: I meant Sally 😂 Paladin was amazing, and I pre-ordered all of Taran's books. Unfortunately I just don't believe Wattpad has the same environment to harbour such gems anymore.
Yes. You are correct. Sally Slater was such a good friend of mine, back when Wattpad was the place to be. We had a lot of laughs and helped each other become better writers. I was happy being able to watch Sally become successful.

I'm trying to remember how I came to know Taran. Like, maybe he was involved in some contests I was in, or perhaps we wrote or commented on articles together for Wattpad's SciFi Magazine, called Tevun Krus. 

Either way, those days are now long gone. I would love to hear some stories about people having fun there, like what used to happen all the time. 😺