Re: A Question About Reviews/Review Swaps!

So I have been wondering this for awhile, but given I noticed on the side here the last three threads posted were all Review Swap threads, it made me want to ask, are Review Swaps really that useful/a good idea?  

I mean, certainly I wouldn't mind getting one or two myself for sure, though personally I would prefer to do it because they wanted to themselves.   Plus, I feel like id probably hope/want for said reviewer to stick around and keep reading also, so that they could update their review as more chapters get posted and the story becomes more complete, so that things make sense and I dont have to spoil anything trying to explain something.   

But it seems like everyone does Review Swaps, so is that just how it goes to show you want some feedback?  Although personally, its not just a review, I would like some more comments, and people to post on my polls as well, but maybe its just cause I tend to be a social and chatty person?  Plus, while I would like to know what I am doing very well and what I can do better, I would also like to know how characters are ranking in terms of popularity for people.  Who is everyone's favorite?  Second favorite?  Third?  What do they enjoy the most?  What was their favorite scene so far?  What fight scene was their favorite?  Stuff like that as well.

Anyways, I was curious what everyone else thought about this.  Anyone got any thoughts?

The main reason is that new readers are going to be apprehensive to go into a story they aren't quite sure might be worth their time or not.

So having reviews help them have a better perspective on whether the things in the story are something they want to invest time on... or not. Especially since reading tends to take a lot more time than reading some comic strip.

With that in mind, review swaps appear to be the common coin for authors to help one another. By reviewing someone else's work, you leave a clear "this is what you should expect coming in" for the reader, thus promoting readers who find that interesting to stick around.

And, if lucky, it will build upon itself.

By having honest reviews, then you can get readers who'll drop their own reviews if/when they want to.

Think about it like trying to get the viewer engagement engine running.

Ravnicrasol Wrote: The main reason is that new readers are going to be apprehensive to go into a story they aren't quite sure might be worth their time or not.

So having reviews help them have a better perspective on whether the things in the story are something they want to invest time on... or not. Especially since reading tends to take a lot more time than reading some comic strip.

With that in mind, review swaps appear to be the common coin for authors to help one another. By reviewing someone else's work, you leave a clear "this is what you should expect coming in" for the reader, thus promoting readers who find that interesting to stick around.

And, if lucky, it will build upon itself.

By having honest reviews, then you can get readers who'll drop their own reviews if/when they want to.

Think about it like trying to get the viewer engagement engine running.

Well put. I haven't done any review swaps, but I have done a few reviews of folks' work when they post a request for a review swap. It would be nice to have more reviews, honest ones that, as Ravnicrasol said, give the reader and idea of what sort of story they might be getting in to. That's how I try to structure my reviews, and if I'm going to do one, I make it detailed and advanced.

There are pros and cons to review swaps. As noted above, it's a way to get reviews to hopefully jumpstart your fiction. I've done some myself and have generally found it a positive experience. However, there is also an inherent conflict of interest in doing a review swap. Both authors want good reviews so there's a subconscious impulse to give a better review. Also reviews which are done as part of a review swap are marked as such to let readers know. Some readers may not give as much credence to a review which is a part of a swap. Review swaps can be very helpful, just be aware of the potential pitfalls.