Re: Script style kind of writing

My personal opinion would be that it is a bad decision unless it IS intended to be a script or it is only a small part of a bigger text (two people text-messaging, in-game dialogues, transcription of a conversation in court, etc.) To me, the script style destroys the immersion of the story if it is supposed to be read as a normal (web)novel with dialogues and dialogue-free narration. We have dialogue tags (he-said/she-said, etc.) for that specific reason.

I personally dislike the script-style writing as it destroys my immersion most of the time. It also makes the dialogue feel stilted, halting and interrupted to me, instead of flowing. I miss the nuances and tells that give flavor to a sentence and a character. There may be script-style novels that do manage this well, but I've not found one and I've stopped looking.

I most often see this in translated stories and personally consider it as someone writing the script of a manga or anime. It's just not the same without the pictures.

It is not unusual if you are writing a script, play, or are reproducing a transcript. Occasionally you may find an insert written to indicate a transcript of a phone conversation in a novel. Usually this is done to reproduce  (what else) a transcription. It is not a style, it is a format. It is not the format used for novels, textbooks, articles or any other form of written communication.  Which is why you do not find books written that way.  You may need to decide if you are writing a novel or transcript. These are two different things. 

Indicating dialog in the usual fashion, using quotation marks, dialog tagging, paragraph separation, capitalization, and other features of novel convention and standard grammar define the novel. They are written in one of three classes of POV.  Writing a novel requires its own bit of work and craftsmanship to produce, and is a learned behavior. Many avocations require a learning curve, The novel is simply another one. Play writing has its own formats.

Outside of school, there are several sites and instructional texts that reveal how to write a play or script, how to write prose or novels, how to write poetry, how to format a proposal, contract, or other form of written communication. All of these can be learned, and all follow their own conventions and formats. You certainly can write a script or play if you want to, and help is available to support your choice.

Ararara Wrote: I've never seen that before, except in a few old books in school (literature class)

Yeah, some novels do use odd (for a lack of a better term) ways of denoting dialogue. Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha by Roddy Doyle which I read in school used dashes to open dialogue (but not close it). While it was a deliberate choice so it felt ingrained in the narration, it could be confusing to read in parts because there were some instances where it wasn't obvious when it switched from speech to action tags/ Paddy's inner monologue. It felt a bit alienating until I got used to it, so my advice would be to avoid breaking web novel conventions unless you're specifically writing a script.

That being said it's a very valuable tool for writing the first draft! All my first drafts look similar, except I use speech marks and a basic 'said character' at the end. No action or dialogue tags unless they come naturally, just basic speech. As you said, it feels natural and comfortable because it's a lot easier, which is essential for getting words down on the page. You can always come back and clean it up during the second draft, or shortly before publishing the chapter if you don't write to the end before publishing chapters.

I don't think it's odd. You can write your story in any way you feel happy with. But it depends whether you're writing for yourself or for others.

Not many people would enjoy this format, especially since novels are not written that way, so the traditional style would likely get you more views. But if you don't care about that and still prefer writing your own way, then go for it.

My story uses this format a LOT, and mostly because I don't read enough novels growing up, but I have some experience writing scripts, so I write them in any way I'm happy with. And so far, I'm really loving it as I love writing dialogue and character interactions. I know that it can turn some people off, but I don't see myself as someone who would adapt to a different writing style simply just to get attention. If people like it, neat! If they don't, that's cool.

The last thing I wanna feel is to hate working on something that I'm passionate about. If I don't find joy in it, then what's the point? Not everyone's style is the same, and it ain't hurt to be a little different.

TL;DR: You do you! Nothing's stopping you.

Also, I clicked on the link in your signature, but it leads me to the dashboard. Just replace the dashboard link with your fiction page link. Cheers!

The main deficit of producing a script rather than a novel is that except for occasional blocking instructions that may or might not be provided,  a script does not indicate the motions, actions or tenor of the actors movements or expressions, just the dialogs they are expected to deliver. It can not illustrate the scene in any detail, or show the interactions of the characters within it. In many cases, not even the emotional construction of the delivery of lines, or in other words, about half the content a novel must provide the reader. They (scripts) provide instructions to the actors and scene crews, who then must do their half, and deliver these things for the audience. A novel's structure provides these elements of the story without dependence on the support of the physical actors and stage crews. It is a different medium. Both are valid constructs for their purpose, but both are also best suited for their purposes.  This does not mean people can't read and enjoy Shakespeare's plays, just that the best experience of a play happens when viewing a good performance of it.