Re: What are some unused video game elements that would make fot interesting gamelit?

LitRPG fiction uses most of the common ideas, from levels and xp to drops, skills and classes. But there are tons of ideas that are never used. Here are some I think are interesting.

Save slot system. There's a few time travel fics out there, but they tend to have a single looping point or be a single jump. Multiple save points allows more flexibility with when the main character operates, whether its savescumming a single hard challenge without having to wait years between each try, or hopping to an earlier save to get information and then jumping back to the present.

Pokemon Elemental typing. Lots of stories have elemental magic or moves, but it's usually mostly thematic. I want to read a story where adventuring parties scout for multiple elements, because not having a counter type hurts a lot and usually gets you killed.

What ideas do you want to see?

Re: What are some unused video game elements that would make fot interesting gamelit?

I'd say nearly all game-features are unexplored by the gamelit genre. For example:

Audio/graphics settings, online/offline and singleplayer/multiplayer modes, main menus and log-in-and-out features, thepossibility of several save-files existing simultaneously, the extra lives common in adventure and puzzle games, a lot of the puzzle game mechanics too now when I think about it, and so on and so forth. 

For example, in some MMO's a separate open world/dungeon is spawned for every party that enters, so you don't compete with everyone else on the server, and you're free to play alone if you want or you can have the whole world to just yourself and your friends with some shared areas like towns to have meeting places for partying up and trading. 

Audio/graphics settings would make for some really broken abilities, be they combat oriented (affecting and messing with everyone) or just a private radio you could use to listen for when the boss music starts to play. 

For co-existing save files, you could just completely break time-space, get several copies of limited items, copy people, or have several iterations of yourself. Or just have each character iteration exist in their own universe but they could communicate and give each other guides and spoilers. 

there are 3 main reasons most of features in video games are not used in the majority of litrpg, depending on the type of litrpg:
(what i call Litrpg you call gamelit, but i don't care about arguing concepts that are recently to much fluid)

1) some litrpgs are basically envisioned by their author as a DnD adventure log then an actual classical Litrpg

2) other Litrpgs are written by author that are not invested into litrpg, and are writing for views. so they only base their work on what they see others do, and for them the Litrpg part is just an add-on to the story, and not a focus, so not only they don't bother to innovate, they just can't.

3) classical Litrpg are focused on immersion and focus on leveling up and skills, rather then obscure concepts that are difficult for the author to warp his head around.

there are a few stories that use unused video game mechanics, for example, a korean manga i read that use dating sim system.

in one of the stories i have planned, the MC gains meta access to the "world tree root" and is able to enter custom dungeons instead of the regular levels
he dont edit it, he just have control of perimeters, and to increase perimeters that are beneficial to him, will cost him some of the gains, so he has to balance it by taking bad stuff.
for example: more safe spots, no traps, but less XP and less loot, but more level completion loot quality.
if your interested, i can write much more detailed on it.

A save slot system would be cool. It's a great 'cheat' that doesn't make the mc immediately op. Probably uncommon due to most litrpg being based on mmos instead of single player games.

I could see a story where the mc joins the villains in one save in order to learn their secrets while fighting against them in the main timeline.

It would need clear markers, maybe chapter titles, to tell the readers which save the mc was in. Otherwise it could get confusing.

I really love gamelit that is specifically not litrpg, like I've only really seem a handful of them but they were great! So really, I'd love to see some more.

Rythm games, maybe a bit hard to write though
Brawler
Stealth
Metroidvania, totally doable!
Simulators 
Turn based strategy (done before, but still under represented)
Sports games
Puzzle games (probably a harder one to pull off)
Idle game (how funny/bizarre would being stuck in an idle game be xD )

Idk, basically every genre/type of game that isn't an rpg would be super fun to see :p

Ramingo Wrote:
solopath Wrote: What ideas do you want to see?
None, because litRPGs are one of the worst things to ever happen to videogames.  DrakanBook
*Headscratch* LitRPGs haven't had much effect on videogames though?  I'd bet the majority of game devs have never read a LitRPG.  On your average game development team you couldn't even get a majority of people who read fiction for pleasure, much less this little niche.

Sereminar Wrote: I really love gamelit that is specifically not litrpg, like I've only really seem a handful of them but they were great! So really, I'd love to see some more.

Rythm games, maybe a bit hard to write though
Brawler
Stealth
Metroidvania, totally doable!
Simulators 
Turn based strategy (done before, but still under represented)
Sports games
Puzzle games (probably a harder one to pull off)
Idle game (how funny/bizarre would being stuck in an idle game be xD )

Idk, basically every genre/type of game that isn't an rpg would be super fun to see :p
I play a lot of sims, but I have no idea how you'd capture that kind of fun better than things like crafting-focused litRPG or factory core already does.  There are some of Harvest Moon and Stardew Valley fanfics out there, but they tend to deemphasize the game mechanics.  Fanfics of ARK or Wurm Online or any of those survival sims tend to die after a few chapters when the writer can't find a story to tell.  This is a topic I'd be interested in discussing more or getting recommendations for examples.

sunandshadow Wrote: *Headscratch* LitRPGs haven't had much effect on videogames though?  I'd bet the majority of game devs have never read a LitRPG.  On your average game development team you couldn't even get a majority of people who read fiction for pleasure, much less this little niche.
Perhaps I worded it badly. Actually, remove that perhaps. 

What I meant to say is that litRPGs are bad, mostly, because the games created by the authors are bad.  DrakanBook

I mean you have Wandering Inn, and Randidly Ghosthound cooks in his free time, but nothing else that really stands out. Model the main character off of Gordon Ramsay and you'd have an instant hit.

"What the fuck is this? I asked for Demon Ram meat, not Demon Lamb! Now get out there and don't come back until you kill a level 20 Ram, not this level 5 shite!"
"I don't care how about how beating steak into a pulp is traditional ogre cuisine. My grandmother could do a better job with her cane, and she's 93!"

I don't know if this fits, but the most unique Gamelits I've seen is Leveling up the World. It's interesting because the levels are about fighting the flaws of objects, causing them to improve. For example, you could grab a piece of gravel off the road, throw your mind into a metaphysical subspace, fight a creature inside, and when you return to the real world the rock is now polished or something. What really makes this interesting though is that this idea also applies to leveling up yourself, you're just fighting your character flaws instead of physical flaws.

Game balance would be nice, any good game doesn't allow a single class to just mop the floor with everyone. I have mentioned this before but expanding upon the way a game system effects society. If everyone has a game system it would make sense that highly leveled overlords of some sort would block of people from grinding a monster's rare material. Plus you would expect some sort of cultural revolution to happen in a world that goes off game logic I highly doubt that Medieval McFantasyland would stay the same after so long, I would imagine the aristocracy would be overthrown for a for a sort of guild based government system or in less socially friendly places a lawless land where everyone and everything is fair game

Without going into too much spoilerage for an idea I am working on.... I have something like save states in my LitRPG I am working on. In my system people get classes and have class evolutions, however there is a ritual "save point" that can be done to revert a person back to the status and level that was recorded when the ritual was done. It can't bring back the dead, or heal injury, but it can allow people to take a class, "try it out" and if it isn't for them, revert and take a different class-up path. The only problem is that the ritual gets much much harder to do multiple times in the same class tier, so it can be very very expensive to try out several things. Also since you lose any progression of power gained it is a risk taken with no rewards other than knowledge gained. 

It is important for people who do class reversions to try to get a more rare or higher caliber of starter class. It is impossible to know what options you might have when you want to sacrifice a high tier class and try for a better progression to work with. So you can pay for a "save ritual" undergo class reversion and see if you have the options you are looking for, and if not the ritual can regain your lost progress to keep going until you try again another time. It is one of the main functions of the world and how high powered adventurers get to be high powered. It is almost impossible to start OP, most people have to slog for it. (Obviously the MC is something of an outlier, because story)