Re: Things you'd like to see for premium analytics?

Hello! If you've paid for premium, as I have, you know that this comes with access to some extra analytics. While these are fun, I do think they come with some shortcomings, and I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas about what the analytics should include. 

Here are my points, so far:

1. Under "General" analytics - there should be a way to see the full history of views for your fic. 
2. Also under "General" analytics - there should  be a way to see the full history of referrers for your fic, in total, not just the last 7 days. 
3. Under user retention - this is just some general confusion about how user retention calculates users who have viewed your fic based off of views. For example, in the table, 723 views for my first chapter, but when I go to the bar plot, it says that 347 viewers have viewed my first chapter. Does this mean that 723 people in total have viewed my first chapter, and that 347 people viewed my first chapter and then stopped there, viewing nothing else? I'm a bit confused.
4. Also under user retention: It should give you alternative ways of viewing the "users with account" count. For example, I currently have "41" users with account on my first chapter which, I assume, means that 41 users with an account have viewed my first chapter, and stopped there. You should also offer a cumulative sum count. So, to give a simple example, currently I might see something like

Chapter 1: 10
Chapter 2: 5
Chapter 3: 3

Which means that 10 people read chapter 1 and stopped there, 5 people chapter 2 and stopped there, 3 people chapter 3 and stopped there. It would be nice if we also got this view:

Chapter 1: 18
Chapter 2: 8
Chapter 3: 3

Which means 18 people total viewed chapter 1, 8 people total viewed chapter 2, and 3 people total viewed chapter 3. 

5. Chapter Pageviews tab: I...I don't know how to improve this one, actually, but I'll just say that once you get a lot of chapters, it becomes really tedious, since I have to scroll alllll the way down to select the chapter i want to see pageviews for, and then ALLLLL the way up to go and see it. Maybe there's a better way to present the data, where each subplot can be in a grid, rather than just one big column? I don't know. 
6. Ratings: Continuous sliding scale for x-axis?

These are just the things that pop into my head having played around with the toys a bit. Is there anything else you'd like to see under offer for premium analytics?

I dont have premium but I have some ideas. Naturally I think people would like to see how their story compares against other stories, and how to improve "marketability". What tags are readers searching the most? Your story could be missing a popular one by accident. You could probably also track when readers get bored and start speeding through, skimming for key words on when to start reading again. if the average time your readers are spending on page 89 is 1 second, than you know they are skimming and maybe you're losing readers because that part of the story isnt interesting. Its more specific than noticing a general downward trend that could be attributed to multiple variables like post timing

For comparing your story against others, you can take your engagement ratio of reviews/pageviews or even patreon subscribers/pageviews (if able( and compare them to someone elses. Maybe you only have 2 reviews but 100 favorites and think that's bad, but you could compare it to a story of your choice (probably a very popular one) and see that although they have 200 reviews, they have 1 million favorites. Next, what if the analystics showed you which RR stories had the highest engagement ratios? We could speculate why that is and gain some insight to improve our own marketability on the site

Data analysis is meant to provide useful actionable information otherwise the numbers and graphs are just fluff in my opinion 

-slth

As nice as this is i fail to see the point in these statistics ? 

What will it change to your writing ? Will you redo chapters depending on the numbers? 

I also fail to understand how it works (some of my chapters have less views than more recent one, meaning people skipped a few chapters?) 

I honestly don't know what to do with these data. The story is a whole so i can't imagine changing much of it just to get more consistent views overall ^^

I'd rather have people be able to rate each chapters, so that i can have feedback on chapters they read but didn't like and then ask why (althought i know full well what my flaws are ^^) 

Ararara Wrote: The 4th point: I remember viewing that even without premium. The main page of the fiction dashboard, where you have all the chapters, will show a viewcount next to each one. This is a simple cumulative, total one, not a "viewer retention count" or whatever

This shows the "viewcount" not the "viewer count." I notice my longer chapters tend to have higher viewcounts, even higher than previous chapters, because (I assume) people are reading some of it, clicking off it, and then returning to finish it up.

Tynian Wrote: As nice as this is i fail to see the point in these statistics ? 

What will it change to your writing ? Will you redo chapters depending on the numbers? 

I also fail to understand how it works (some of my chapters have less views than more recent one, meaning people skipped a few chapters?) 

I honestly don't know what to do with these data. The story is a whole so i can't imagine changing much of it just to get more consistent views overall ^^

I'd rather have people be able to rate each chapters, so that i can have feedback on chapters they read but didn't like and then ask why (althought i know full well what my flaws are ^^)

I mean, I don't know what you're trying to say here. You don't need to redo chapters or anything. It's just that you're paying a little extra to have access to some extra statistics, and it would be nice to have access to these statistics in a more convenient, descriptive, informative format, especially if it's relatively simple to implement. 

Tynian Wrote: What i'm saying is: what is the point to get these stats ? What practical use does it have ?

I mean, why bother to contribute to the thread at all then? If you don't care for stats at all, just don't pay for premium. Obviously some people find them interesting. It seems a bit silly to come to a thread for suggestions for improvements to the statistics you get access to under premium, only to say "Well actually any stats at all are pointless."

Tynian Wrote: I'm just asking a genuine question. What do you use those stats for ?

No need to be a dick, you could have just gave me an answer.

I mean, I don't think I'm being a dick. I think they're interesting, and I don't need any more reason than that. If you don't, then you don't. In terms of usefulness, I think in particular the general referrers could be potentially useful not necessarily for writing, but for where you promote your work - you get to see exactly which sites are giving you the most clicks. And if you see a lot of people dropping off at a certain chapter, you can go to it to see - did you make a grammar mistake that made a certain passage particularly confusing? Did you accidentally type something up as a big intimidating wall of text? Chapter pageview history can give you an idea of how many pages your readers go through a day. It's all interesting stuff, but it doesn't necessarily need to change the way you're writing. 

Tynian Wrote: I'm just asking a genuine question. What do you use those stats for ?

No need to be a dick, you could have just gave me an answer.

If in most chapters, you see that, idk, 80% of people click on the next chapter, but in Chapter 27, you see than 50% of people stop reading, then you know you should maybe work on that chapter. Maybe there is something there that's super boring, or annoying to the readers, making them uninterested, angry, or disappointed.

I'm not an author, so I can only talk about the reader side.

Some people only like to read/write without a care for anything else, other people also like statistics. Some people like to analyze things by frequency/ratio/time/whatever just because it is fun for them.
  • I track the reputation I get and analyze it by which story I received it for (I know how I could analyze it by chapter as well but that would be too much work). Why? Just because it's interesting to see that people on story X give lots of reputation and people on story Y only rarely.
  • Of course, in order to assess the "reputation per story" value correctly I have to take into account how often I comment on each story. Indeed, I analyze that as well. That number is even on the same excel sheet. There are stories with only 1 or 2 comments and others with many dozens.
  • I track the review upvotes and downvotes by review. Some reviews are successful, others less so. From the total I know what the ratio of upvotes to downvotes is (I can't tell the exact number right now because I'm not at home but I think it was about 6:1), and so I know that many more people like my reviews than not.
  • I count how many pages I read on RR. I have an excel sheet with a list of all the stories I read here and I entered their page count from the story main page (for those stories where I read all available chapters) or a guesstimation (when I'm somewhere in the middle; e.g. if I read 30 out of 50 chapters, I'll enter three fifth of the page count). Every now and then (usually on chapter numbers divisible by 10, or when a story arc/book is completed) I update the number. Why? I want to know how much I read, because I spend lots of time doing so. I have to be careful when authors remove chapters because of Kindle Unlimited. 
CloverCloverClover Wrote: Is there anything else you'd like to see under offer for premium analytics?

Again, I'm only on reader premium. This is what I would like to know:
  • Total number of words/pages I read on RR (just tally the word count of any chapter I opened; it might be off a little from a mis-click or a story which I aborted halfway into a chapter but that should only be a small error)
  • Displaying the number of review upvotes and downvotes I received (I'm currently doing that by hand)