Re: Finding Professional Beta-Readers

I am looking to commission a professional beta-reader/editor and don't know where exactly to look. I have been asking for professionals on twitter and facebook, yet the reach there is very little and scouring social media for people who have "editor" in their bio is a Sisyphus task and not as fruitful as I hoped.
Can someone on here share a platform that lists professionals or even directly the names of professionals they had good experiences with? Or maybe someone on here is a professional with near future openings in their schedule, that would be the quickest route.

The first step is probably to figure out exactly what you're asking for. There are a lot of different types of editing, from developmental editing down to proofreading. Beta reading is usually considered separate from those, as far as I know.

Here are some sites that describes several different types of editing:

https://blog.reedsy.com/types-of-editing/
https://scribemedia.com/editing-types/

They break them down in somewhat different ways, but they may help you narrow down what you're looking for. If NovelNinja sees your post, he may be able to provide some more specific suggestions, or you can try posting in his "Ask the Editor" thread.

IvyVeritas Wrote: The first step is probably to figure out exactly what you're asking for. There are a lot of different types of editing, from developmental editing down to proofreading. Beta reading is usually considered separate from those, as far as I know.

Here are some sites that describes several different types of editing:

https://blog.reedsy.com/types-of-editing/
https://scribemedia.com/editing-types/

They break them down in somewhat different ways, but they may help you narrow down what you're looking for. If NovelNinja sees your post, he may be able to provide some more specific suggestions, or you can try posting in his "Ask the Editor" thread.
You're right, beta readers are not editors (or not necessarily so). Betas get the first rough drafts so you can get actual human eyeballs on the work and some actual human reactions to said work. Good betas are more precious than gold. Nurture them, love them, bribe them if you have to, but cherish the good betas because they are awesome.

After you tell us what you are looking for, it also might help to tell us about what you want help with. You have five fictions on hiatus on RR. Is it one of those?

Betas stand in for your audience. Alphas critique as professionals. Editors directly edit. 

For example, if you're writing a legal drama, you'd probably want a lawyer as an alpha reader, while you'd want a legal drama fan as a beta reader. You might have an editor as either, but not reading as an editor. It's a completely different mindset and it's rather like what Einstein said about a man kissing his girlfriend while driving a car: he can't give either task the attention it deserves. 

Regardless, I've never met anyone who advertised as a "professional reader" that was worth the money. 

Dan Wrote: You're right, beta readers are not editors (or not necessarily so).  Betas get the first rough drafts so you can get actual human eyeballs on the work and some actual human reactions to said work.  Good betas are more precious than gold.  Nurture them, love them, bribe them if you have to, but cherish the good betas because they are awesome. 

After you tell us what you are looking for, it also might help to tell us about what you want help with.  You have five fictions on hiatus on RR.  Is it one of those?

First off: wow, thanks for all the answers so far.

Concerning the story and my stories on hiatus: It's none of those stories really but one that combines one of my existing stories (Tatzelwyrm) with a new one as a sort of alternate starting point. I do plan on using this opportunities to retcon some stuff. I do have a catalogue of questions and notes to the betareader to find out how some characters feel and come across, as well as whether the story progression is too fast or too slow or illogical. Right now it's a 55k draft. I do intend to get more than just short notes so I was asking for a professional because I believe I could get some better in-depth answers

the_Enn_Gee Wrote: I do have a catalogue of questions and notes to the betareader to find out how some characters feel and come across, as well as whether the story progression is too fast or too slow or illogical. Right now it's a 55k draft. I do intend to get more than just short notes so I was asking for a professional because I believe I could get some better in-depth answers.
Based on this description, I could suggest it to my students. I would need to have a description of the story, how much you want to pay, your catalog of questions, and your contact information. 

NovelNinja Wrote: Based on this description, I could suggest it to my students. I would need to have a description of the story, how much you want to pay, your catalog of questions, and your contact information.

It's a University setting magic fantasy and features the main character of Tatzelwyrm as a secondary character. The focus is mostly on girl protagonists which is why I am insistent on getting at least a female voice before finishing the story. The main issues are mystery, intercultural exchange, future ambitions, dreams, laws, and magic.
I'm willing to pay 1-2$ per 1000 words. As for the questions I can send you the draft itself, contact me via DMs if you're interested.