Re: Regarding Poems

Terrenheim Wrote: Thank you. I post onto the poem mega thread. I was think though it went for if I “wanted to” route maybe make it a single fiction and each poem might be a chapter.

Well, you are going to be writing some long-hecking poems then. There is a minimum of 275 words(maybe more or less than that) so its gonna be fun

DrBuller Wrote:
Terrenheim Wrote: Thank you. I post onto the poem mega thread. I was think though it went for if I “wanted to” route maybe make it a single fiction and each poem might be a chapter.

Well, you are going to be writing some long-hecking poems then. There is a minimum of 275 words(maybe more or less than that) so its gonna be fun

Assuming tetrameter, about 40 or so lines per chapter. Maybe as little as 32 with pentameter. 

Of course, Dante's Divine Comedy is roughly three or four times that length per chapter (assuming a canto was a chapter). Not sure about the word count on that one, but since the lines had eleven syllables we can assume a similar word count to pentameter, and arrive at a ballpark estimate of about 30,000 to 32,000 words. 

That's in Italian, though. One of the last great English epic poems is Chesterton's Ballad of the White Horse, which clocks in at almost 17,000 words. That would be around 61 pages on Royal Road. Not quite a Dante-level expression of poetic genius, but it's pretty high up there in literature. 

It should would be interesting to see someone attempt a true epic poem on Royal Road sometime. 

DrBuller Wrote:

500 characters is the actual minimum, so you could easily do non-epic poems.