Re: Need ideas for a SoL sidestory

So. I'm currently developing the plot for a new story but am missing a bit of "filler" in one place.
First of all, currently all the important characters are streetchildren age 10-18 in a medival setting.
Now, my last three Plot-points are like this:
  1. Introduction of a character who is like a little siste to the MC (Female)
  2. Little sister character gets kidnapped and MC saves her
  3. MC gets seperated from the others for a very long time
Since point 2 and 3 happen basically directly one after another, this little sister character has basically no development.
So, I need an idea for a small sidestory or Slice of Life segment that I can fit between point 1 and 2 that won't escalate into something bigger.
As I said, the problem is they are orphans in a medival setting, so most "normal" activities just can't be done because they either simply don't exist, the characters don't have the time to waste on it, or they don't have the money for it.

Has anyone any ideas?

The MC playing a card game with sister-ish and warning her away from going to X location, in fact, playing with her because she might be bored enough to head somewhere she shouldn't. Them sharing cool hiding spots that are implied to be needed? Take out those later tension parts as necessary for your plan, leave them as necessary to avoid reader complaints.

even as streetchildren, they'll have a daily routine. How do they get food? Do they do small chores for people, like running errands? Do they beg or steal? Is there a charity group that at least does something for them? Do note that in a medieval society, 'children' of 14 years old were often working a job already. There were no 16 year old 'children'.

Something else worthy of note, though I'll take a slight detour to get to my point

A lot is often made by the low average life expectancy in the middle ages. This wasn't actually because people didn't get old, it was because of infant mortality. Babies and young children died to all kinds of diseases. In most places, there were plenty of families willing to adopt or at least employ children that had already survived the most dangerous years.

Sure, this wasn't the case everywhere and as children survived more frequently and population density grew the situation changed, but it's something to keep in mind.

edit:
there were plenty of medieval jobs that required no education, only physical effort and not so much strength it needed an adult. 

A somewhat well-known example around here is the ropery. It makes ropes. The job is: turning a handle. Actually, it's turning a big wheel with a handle. The places usually employed teenagers who couldn't find an apprenticeship or other occupation. It required you to turn the handle at a constant speed, not too slow or too fast. It was heavy work, but not backbreaking. It's still relatively well known, because one of the more famous admirals of the country started his 'career' like that.

There are certainly more examples like this. If a 'factory' did have machines, but no engines, you'd have to use some other thing to power it. Often, this was manpower.