Re: Putting the genre in the fiction title

I've recently started seeing more and more fictions putting their genres in the title. 

Like, instead of "Blank", the title would be "Blank, a LitRPG Harem Smut Fantasy!!!! (CLICK HERE NOW)" 

Here's literal examples of a search: https://www.royalroad.com/fictions/search?title=gamelit

What's the forum's opinion on this? Does it work, and draw more attention? Or you find it obnoxious to see? Or just redundant? Or is it actually useful, so people don't even have to look at the tags?

I would consider that to actually be a subtitle, with "Blank" being the actual title.  Not really different than "Blank: Third Book of The Suchandsuch Trilogy"  It's like jamming some tags on the end of the title for searches to find it when people want that genre.  Seems like an ok adaptation to posting stories online, but it would be a bit awkward if the writer tried to make that whole thing the title on the book cover instead of separating it visually into a subtitle.

Well first of all, I am definently not clicking that story since I hate both Harem and Smut, with Harem only having a very very few rare exceptions just because they are actually well written, well thought out, or in cases like Konosuba, are not actually Harem.  (Lets be honest, we all know Kazama will end up only with Megumin)

Just had to add that comment in there.

As for the Genre title thing itself, im a bit half and half.  I think that, if its incorperated in a way that makes it work and really a meaningful part of the story, then maybe....but in general, I think its a bit silly and redundant.  A title should just be the hook, that meaningful statement that ultimate describes the story and its contents, or at least a significant and meaningful part of it.  Listing the genres though?  I think that would be better to do in the description at least, but its pretty easy to search and see genres, so id say its really redundant and unnecessary.   

I hadn't really thought about it before but I think I'm in the camp of not liking the idea. If I see a story that does that, and the actual description of the story seems interesting, then I'll probably still read it without thinking any less of it. But it does kind of break my immersion if that makes any sense, even though I'm not sure how immersed you can be when you've only gotten as far as the title.

I guess there's really no harm in a story knowing exactly what it is and titling it as such, and overall I'd probably just look the other way, but if my attention is actually drawn to it then I'd rather it not do that.

Quick edit - But yeah I agree that it does seem like it'd be search engine manipulation and it does make sense to try and do that these days.

Mai Wrote: I hadn't really thought about it before but I think I'm in the camp of not liking the idea. If I see a story that does that, and the actual description of the story seems interesting, then I'll probably still read it without thinking any less of it. But it does kind of break my immersion if that makes any sense, even though I'm not sure how immersed you can be when you've only gotten as far as the title.

I guess there's really no harm in a story knowing exactly what it is and titling it as such, and overall I'd probably just look the other way, but if my attention is actually drawn to it then I'd rather it not do that.

Quick edit - But yeah I agree that it does seem like it'd be search engine manipulation and it does make sense to try and do that these days.

Well, on one hand, you can actually search for genres in the search engine, so that wouldn't actually work on here would it?   After all, you can select what genres you want and dont want in the search engine, so adding them in the title itself wont help at all, so the Search Engine Manipulation would fail.

That said, that doesn't mean everyone is always intelligent enough to realize that.   lol

Whimful Wrote: Well, on one hand, you can actually search for genres in the search engine, so that wouldn't actually work on here would it?   After all, you can select what genres you want and dont want in the search engine, so adding them in the title itself wont help at all, so the Search Engine Manipulation would fail.

That said, that doesn't mean everyone is always intelligent enough to realize that.   lol
True. But that would require you to click on "Advance Search" and manually change the options there. It works if the search is a "basic one". And idk, but I'd expect most searches aren't advanced 

Eh, I never use the basic search engine myself, at least here.  I typically like to curtail what im searching for so I find what suits me best.   Im whimful like that.  (yes, I played on my own name.  lol).

But yeah, I do think its rather redundant and silly.   And probably some attempt at search manipulation.   But I tend to either use advanced searches myself, or even better, recommendations from my own readers.  After all, I feel like after reading the style and energy that I write, they would be able to best find things that I would enjoy to read.   Sadly I dont have many yet, but I have really only just started, so cant be helped.  lol

But I suppose that might just be my own weird things of doing things also.   

I agree that putting the genre in the title is a bad idea, but I understand why people would do it. If you look at most published book covers (and also quite a few good ones here), the cover art is what tells you the genre. If you're putting together a cover using free images or drawing software, it's not easy to achieve that so adding the genre to the title is the next best thing. Personally I think the genre should be in the blurb.

Personally I think it should be in the blurb. The blurb is what is supposed to give a potential reader an idea of if the fiction is something they might wanna read.

IMO titles and covers are there to make a reader pause long enought to check out the blurb. Which, I suppose, is what adding the tags might do, though redundant on a site that allows you to tag. Then again, I don't like overly long titles either. It's just a matter of personal preference I think.

On the flip side, I'm probably not the type of reader they're after so... swings and roundabouts.

Razzmatazz Wrote: I'm not a fan personally, it also feels 'click-baity' to me. But then again, it's probably exactly what some people are looking for, so who am I to judge.  peoconfused

It really does feel "click-baity" to me as well. I get that it can be somewhat hard to tell by title alone, but isn't that what the tags are for? And if it's in the description then shouldn't the title, cover image (or baring that the description), provide some insight on general genre? I MAY be biased because of youtube's descent into click bait stuff, though.

Bit a fan, that sort of thing is obnoxious to be honest. I would be less likely to click a story if that was the case. I don't do click-bait.

Put it in the blurb. Use the tagging system. Don't try to manipulate the search with crap like that. RR has one of the better search function compared to some other platforms. It doesn't need to be clogged with this nonsense.

MarikoRawralton Wrote: I don't think there's any reason to get upset over a story's title.

After all, we don't judge a book by its cover. Why put much weight on the title?

If the book is good, the book is good.

Well, it's not really being upset. It's more that, when it's Click-baity, it comes off as less caring for the work and more caring about getting attention. And when there is money to be made, caring more for attention than the work can rile up artists of any stripe.

It definently sounds like clickbait or search manipulation.

However, I dont think its really good ones.  In fact, I dont really think it works at all given RR's search ability.   Personally, I dont mind what is in a title, so long as the title itself catches and hooks me.  If they write it in a way that seems weird or clunky, ima be less likely to click on it, not more. 

But I mean, if they make it actually work and go into a good sounding title somehow, then cool.