Re: Just another intro

Hi, all. (Hm, I wonder how many times I've introduced myself on forums over the years?)

I'm new here, but definitely not new to writing. I've been hooked on that since my mid-teens, when I first felt the incredible high as a character took off running on her own, leaving me scrambling to write down what she was doing with no idea what was coming next. In the thirty-odd years since, I've gotten a lot better at producing something polished and coherent, but there is still nothing like that buzz!

I spent about the first half of that assuming I needed to go the trad publishing route, since there were no other options then, but more recently I've realized that if I had deadlines and contracts and pressure, I wouldn't want to do it anymore. I just want to write good stories and offer them to people for free. I do have four novels on Smashwords, but my more recent work is drifting more in the direction of serial-ish fiction that won't work well there, so I'm looking for a home for that.

What I write tends to be heavily character-driven, sometimes other-world and sometimes contemporary, and I often have trouble finding tags and categories for it. Shapeshifters and transformation abound, as do non-traditional variations of sex and gender that are sometimes reality-based and sometimes not, and small-scale personal stakes rather than doomsday scenarios. Oh, and I always end on an upbeat.

Other than that? Owned by two mature rescued cats, struggle constantly with anxiety and depression (cats and writing help), spend too much time lately playing Red Dead Online (mainly for the horses and wildlife), only intermittently social which rather interferes with most self-promotion.

But I love finding good fantasy to read, and I'm already having good luck with that since I got here, so I'm feeling fairly optimistic. :-)

Well, then have my patented but copyleft Just Another Welcome....

--------------------------
Welcome.  Beware of Ducks.  The Avian Invasion is real.

Happy Reading/Writing/aRithmetic or whatnot.
--------------------------

This has been "Just Another Welcome!" brought to you by a terribly odd mind.

Prysmcat Wrote: I'm new here, but definitely not new to writing. I've been hooked on that since my mid-teens, when I first felt the incredible high as a character took off running on her own, leaving me scrambling to write down what she was doing with no idea what was coming next. 

I spent about the first half of that assuming I needed to go the trad publishing route, since there were no other options then, but more recently I've realized that if I had deadlines and contracts and pressure, I wouldn't want to do it anymore. I just want to write good stories and offer them to people for free. I do have four novels on Smashwords, but my more recent work is drifting more in the direction of serial-ish fiction that won't work well there, so I'm looking for a home for that.

Other than that? Owned by two mature rescued cats, struggle constantly with anxiety and depression (cats and writing help), spend too much time lately playing Red Dead Online (mainly for the horses and wildlife), only intermittently social which rather interferes with most self-promotion.

But I love finding good fantasy to read, and I'm already having good luck with that since I got here, so I'm feeling fairly optimistic. :-)

I also am owned by 6 rescue cats :), 2 of which are semi-feral :p. Gosh, that's nostalgic. Do you still get the writer's high? I think my years of substance abuse burned it out of me, but writing is still a cornerstone of my existence, just as reading fantasy and escapism was before that. 

I also am social only every once in a blue moon. I actually don't have any socials for my writing for that reason, but my newsletter keeps me active. 

I started writing when indie publishing and POD was born on Amazon, and being fiercely independent I've stuck to my own route thus far, though I've scrapped my given name at this point and abandoned my old books. I also was wondering at the potential for serialization, whether in conjunction with self-subbing or on its own merit. I do plan to at least consider trad publishing after I'm 5-6 books deep in my current WIP series. 

Welcome to this place I also just joined! I'm going to check out your works since we seem to have a bit in common. 

Warmly,

Ren

RenRyder Wrote: I also am owned by 6 rescue cats :), 2 of which are semi-feral :p. Gosh, that's nostalgic. Do you still get the writer's high? I think my years of substance abuse burned it out of me, but writing is still a cornerstone of my existence, just as reading fantasy and escapism was before that. 

I also am social only every once in a blue moon. I actually don't have any socials for my writing for that reason, but my newsletter keeps me active. 

I started writing when indie publishing and POD was born on Amazon, and being fiercely independent I've stuck to my own route thus far, though I've scrapped my given name at this point and abandoned my old books. I also was wondering at the potential for serialization, whether in conjunction with self-subbing or on its own merit. I do plan to at least consider trad publishing after I'm 5-6 books deep in my current WIP series. 

Welcome to this place I also just joined! I'm going to check out your works since we seem to have a bit in common. 

Warmly,

Ren

I'm really very sorry about the long delay in replying. Life... sorta... happened. (I'm really grateful for RR including the option of having posts scheduled in advance!)

Six cats is more than I could handle, at least long-term - I tend to find that once I run out of hands, I'm in trouble. :-) My roommate/best friend and I being co-owned by 4 was hectic enough, and a couple of semi-ferals in there would add complicated dynamics. You have my admiration for giving them a safe home and being able to keep up!

Substance abuse is a tough one, and I gotta respect anyone able to fight through it. I managed to dodge that one by looking at both sides of my family and, well, being terrified of ending up like them. I do still get that wonderful writer's high, but it's a bit harder to reach these days - too many years of antidepressants, too many other distractions. It's the best antidote I know of to real life.

I don't think I could ever genuinely abandon anything I've ever written, even the old, really bad stuff. It feels too much like a part of me. I have a couple of older projects that I want to heavily rewrite with better skills than I had at the time. Of course, that's getting a bit dicey, since tech changes so fast these days and trying to upgrade something set in the late 90s is problematic. LOL As for trad publishing, it works for some, and if that's the right path for you, then I wish you all the best fortune with it.

I added your work to my Read Later list to take a look at, it looks interesting!

Prysmcat Wrote: What I write tends to be heavily character-driven, sometimes other-world and sometimes contemporary, and I often have trouble finding tags and categories for it. Shapeshifters and transformation abound, as do non-traditional variations of sex and gender that are sometimes reality-based and sometimes not, and small-scale personal stakes rather than doomsday scenarios. Oh, and I always end on an upbeat.

I love the sound of this.  While I don't really touch sex/gender at all in my work, I love transformation but usually in the mechanical sense as it applies to robots... 

Welcome to the site and good luck, it sounds like off to a good start and the fact that you're drifting to serialized fiction should work nicely in the RR format.