Re: Do you ever hate what you are writing?

Yes, it happened quite a few times. But it's important that you write through it, so that the part is finished. Otherwise, you'll never be done. What's important is what happens after finishing the scene (or whatever it is you're hating). Take a break. It can be an hour, a day, or a week. Look back at the scene and try to figure out why you hate the part. And once you do, change the things you hate about what you wrote so that you will like it.

It's okay to write things you hate, but never ever give that to the reader. You can't expect your reader to like something, when you yourself can't. You're the number one fan of the story. You have to like it first before others can like it. 

So, yes. Write things you hate, so that it's on the paper, but then change it until you like it, and only then present it to the readers. That's my opinion on the matter, at least.

It's less that I hate my writing and more that I hate how I decided to write certain scenes when revising time comes around. Some things seem a lot better when writing in the moment, but don't really hold up upon further examination. 

If I'm ever truly stuck, I typically sleep on it. When that's not enough, I start working on another project. Funnily enough, getting stuck on one piece of works motivates me to get back to another work that I'd been stuck on. Taking a break to write something purely for fun, without having to worry about scrutiny or continuity, can also be extremely useful and refreshing.

It's a good question, and one which I suppose my answer to is complicated. 

Have there been times in my writing where I felt that the writing was boring and forced myself to keep going? Yes. However, almost all of the time that this happens, this is merely because I don't know where I am going with something. When you're writing the first draft and don't have a direction, it seems like you're just putting lines on paper and you're not building up to anything. But I find that when I come back to the same "Boring" chapter later on, after having finished it's corresponding story, that it actually ends up being extremely interesting and good, as it leads up to the real story which is to happen. 

As readers, we know that the author has a plan in mind and works to enact such a plan, so to the reader, when something is hidden or not revealed, it seems like the author is doing so purposely to make that big reveal. As an author who has to figure out what the answer is, the story seems dull until we actually know what that answer is. Point is, there have been many chapters which I've written which were not interesting at the time of writing that ended up being extremely interesting once I had finished the storyline. 

However, have I actually written something that I hate? 

Well, I suppose this question is even more complicated. 

Yes, I have. 

There have been a couple of times in my story where I straight up hated what happened, or what some of the characters have done. 

However, every single thing that I've written where I hated is is for a very specific reason. So that something could happen later which gives satisfaction. 

There was one scene where my characters broke down crying in a show of weakness after harming an innocent girl. I hated that scene. But I wrote it to show as they developed into heartless demons, eventually slaughtering entire nations without reserve. 

There have been many characters who I write for the purpose of hating them, so that there can be the satisfaction when they're brutally slaughtered. There have been some horrid scenes which I myself am disgusted with, but it makes it all the better when these people are destroyed. 

My point here? I write what I love. And the only reason I would ever write something that I hated is if it was to make the ending better. 

I would never write a story that I hate just to increase viewership or anything like that. I hate fan service, and would never include something like that in a story. I hate harems, and would absolutely never write a main character who has one. I hate naive shonen protagonists, and even though I wrote some characters who started out like one, I made sure always to either dement them or to kill them by the end of the series. Sometimes both. Heh. 

Wow! this post got a lot of replies really fast.
Thanks for your replies everyone, and for all the tips.

I'll use Dubs the Duke's reply to express my thoughts on making this thread,
as I can do it clearly by quoting him.

Dubs Wrote: When you're writing the first draft and don't have a direction, it seems like you're just putting lines on paper and you're not building up to anything. But I find that when I come back to the same "Boring" chapter later on, after having finished it's corresponding story, that it actually ends up being extremely interesting and good, as it leads up to the real story which is to happen.

This is quite true for me too. When I write a big story without anything planned for the current scene and how it will progress; I just put on whatever, and while on the time it feels like it will be a disaster turns out to be ok after I finish the scene.

Dubs Wrote: There have been a couple of times in my story where I straight up hated what happened

YES! this is what I was talking about. You don't hate your writing but rather what is happening in the story and have to force yourself to write it because that's how the story is and should be.

I was writing this story (which I think is turning out really good), and it went into this really painful part which is painful for the main character and for me to write, because I don't like writing gory and pain filled scenes but this is how the story is so I am forced to write it.

I was thinking if other writer has/had similar experiences so I made this thread.

MarikoRawralton Wrote: To date, I've actually thrown out about... three books worth of stuff. I think on one project alone, I tossed out at least 60 chapters, or over 100k words.

Th-that's a lot of words.

I haven't even written 100k words with all my books combined.

I always keep books or texts I consider bad/unnecessary on a separate folder/file, because you don't know when you might need them and regret losing them.

I'm use to writing entire chapters and scenes I generally detest because they aren't what they need to be. This is why I revise and edit before I post. Because generally, if I hate something in a story, it's just going to stand out if I don't fix it and I will hate the entire story. The first draft of the last novel I completed on here was completely tossed out. I kept maybe what would add up to 2 1/2 chapters because the rest of it was just straight up rubbish. I mean, that's kind of par for the course for a writer.

As for just writing parts that I hated because it's something I don't like personally because it's hard to write.  Hate isn't the right word. Dislike it maybe, but even dislike is a very strong word for it.

RayRaivern Wrote:
MarikoRawralton Wrote: To date, I've actually thrown out about... three books worth of stuff. I think on one project alone, I tossed out at least 60 chapters, or over 100k words.

Th-that's a lot of words.

I haven't even written 100k words with all my books combined.

I always keep books or texts I consider bad/unnecessary on a separate folder/file, because you don't know when you might need them and regret losing them.

To be fair, this was during the early days of 2020, where I wanted to have a book out by the end of the year. I was writing aimlessly and it was making out for a really boring book.

I'd basically forced myself to write because I wanted something out by the end of the year. I burned myself out really bad and I'll probably never do something so stupid ever again.

I don't like to write about bad things happening to a character I genuinely like and having something unfair happening to him. But that's how the story goes sometimes.

"hate" is a strong word. I doubt I could hate something I wrote be it because it's just poorly written or because of what's happening. 

All the more since writing is just a hobby to me, I try to do it well enough but if it's flawed i won't flog myself to the point of hating what i wrote either. I'd rather spend my time getting better than hating past mistakes. ^^

Hate? No, but I cringe a lot at the stuff I wrot elike, yesterday. It feels great to get something on paper, but the problem is that you improve the more you write, so theoretically you can be better today than you were yesterday, and your old writing isnt up to your current standard anymore. 

This is the same in any creative endeavor. I have artist and musician friends who say the same. One artist I know told me he can't even enjoy OTHER peoples work that he used to love, because now he's good enough to spot all the flaws in their work.