Re: Historically accurate portal/isekai with time-displaced MC

Searching for story recommendations with a MC/protagonist out of their own time, e.g.
  • Person from ancient times appears in modern world
  • Person from modern times appears in ancient world
  • above, with future/modern mix instead
Ideally, I'd like stories with a good development of differences in culture, technology, worldview between the MC and the world. That is, the MC retains a sense of past identity instead of assimilating into the new world instantly. Foreknowledge of events is a bonus; getting arrested for sorcery due to foreknowledge is even more of a bonus.

Examples from other media:
  • "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" by Mark Twain. 
  • "To live, live one's passions; To survive, abandon one's passions" on Spacebattles. (Modern guy into Three Kingdoms period of ancient China.)
Are there any stories like this on RR (or elsewhere)?

Fantasy is OK if the setting is different from the MC's home (e.g. modern gamer turns up in medieval fantasy world), as long as time-displacement or culture clash are well developed and MC retains a sense of past identity.

Comedy is OK.

Please no romance stories. (Romance is fine as a minor subplot, as long as it doesn't steal the focus of the entire plot.)

It's a bit self-serving, but my MC is effectively in a low fantasy, low magic, 1900's-level world for the first arc of the story (15 published chapters, about 15 more written, and several more drafted in this arc/life).  It might fit your bill.  There is romance, kinda. Whole story will be staying PG ( PG13 for violence at some points ) because I'm basically sharing something I'm working on for my kiddos.

Also, there's a few on Kindle.  Best match for your premise is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084H9CQ6L - Arturo Sandus - Isekai via wormhole.  Less ancient world, more post-roman era (500's? 1000's? it's not specific), not bad on accuracy, but obviously things change rapidly to non-accurate once he starts interfering in the world.

neither of these are probably 100% what you're looking for, but they are reasonably close lol

Agenda of the Villainess
the author put a ton of effort into researching late Victorian England so even with the fantasy elements it feels very grounded

Nora and the Search for Friendship
not quite as grounded in exactly one location/time period, but it handles class relations really well, like there's a lot more realistic interactions between characters of different classes

vsphelix Wrote: Searching for story recommendations with a MC/protagonist out of their own time, e.g.
  • Person from ancient times appears in modern world
  • Person from modern times appears in ancient world
  • above, with future/modern mix instead
Ideally, I'd like stories with a good development of differences in culture, technology, worldview between the MC and the world. That is, the MC retains a sense of past identity instead of assimilating into the new world instantly. Foreknowledge of events is a bonus; getting arrested for sorcery due to foreknowledge is even more of a bonus.

Examples from other media:
  • "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" by Mark Twain. 
  • "To live, live one's passions; To survive, abandon one's passions" on Spacebattles. (Modern guy into Three Kingdoms period of ancient China.)
Are there any stories like this on RR (or elsewhere)?

Fantasy is OK if the setting is different from the MC's home (e.g. modern gamer turns up in medieval fantasy world), as long as time-displacement or culture clash are well developed and MC retains a sense of past identity.

Comedy is OK.

Please no romance stories. (Romance is fine as a minor subplot, as long as it doesn't steal the focus of the entire plot.)

Funny enough, I just made a post related to this myself.  My latest big project, The Shard Legacy, features a culture that I am developing to try and make more unique and stand out more, and just recently I posted a major worldbuilding chapter that went into detail some of the differences, and also the logic behind why it developed this way, including some things I thought might be interesting to mention such as ways they sleep.

The Shard Legacy | Royal Road

And this was my own thread I made if you want to look at it or monitor it yourself:

https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/108544

Anyways, hope you enjoy!