Re: LGBTQIA Stories

If you're still adding new stories to the list, I've just begun here and my story Whispers of Long Lost Voices features LGBTQIA+ characters. It isn't a romance focused story, but the WLW relationship is important to the narrative and to character development.

Tags: Lesbian, Bi, Aesexual, Sci-Fi, Drama, Female Lead, Multiple Lead Characters, Soft Sci-Fi, and Space Opera.

Summary: Seven shots from an Aesir gun. That's all it took to shatter Brennan Darcy's universe. Seven shots on a freezing night and her wife lay bleeding out on the mud with the medical supplies and food the Resistance needed scattered all around her. Brenn thought she'd never go on after losing Rora, but the Universe had other plans.

3-½ years later she travels the stars on an Intergalactic Organization for Humanitarian Relief vessel under Captain Ostara Eridani, bringing food and supplies to those who need it most, light years away from Earth. It's a happy life, most of the time. But on the eve of her would-be wedding anniversary a nightmare rips open old wounds and a surprise rescue operation puts Brenn face to face with her past, asking her what she's willing to do to have, and protect, everything she's ever wanted. Especially when the genetically superior Aesir Empire, and an even older and greater force, wants to take it from her.

Thank you so much!

Sereminar Wrote: I like to imagine that this thread helps authors and readers feel more welcome and accepted on RR, as well as being a resource for finding another great story to read :D

It really does! I actually just updated my synopsis to make the storyline a bit more clear (and make sure no one has to worry that I'm going to bury my gays). I'd prefer the updated synopsis to be on this list if possible:

"Three-and-a-half years after her wife’s murder at the hands of Earth’s rulers, the genetically superior Aesir, Brennan Darcy lives a free life far from terra firma on the Intergalactic Organization for Humanitarian Relief vessel, Hestia’s Hearth. Time has healed many of her wounds, but still she can’t move on or accept her wife, Rora, isn’t out there waiting for her.

On the eve of their would-be wedding anniversary, a surprise rescue operation makes the impossible, possible. Abandoned deep in a jungle, on a backwater world, by the smugglers originally charged with rescuing her from an illegal Aesir breeding facility, is Rora. She’s scarred by the bullets Brenn thought had killed her, delirious and ill, but very much alive with a newborn at her breast.

Rora isn’t the same as Brenn remembers, wrapped up in years of trauma and secrets. The sudden demands of caring for her wife’s delicate mental health and working motherhood are more difficult than Brenn imagined. If that weren’t enough, a secret and powerful group within the Aesir empire will stop at nothing to take back Rora and the baby—whose hybrid genes could tilt the balance of power forever in the Aesir’s favor within a single generation.

Now, Brenn must learn to trust in her own strength, that of her wife, and the odd collection of friends she’s made since leaving Earth to protect her tiny family and find a safe place for them to grow—if such a place exists.

Meanwhile the Universe is growing more complex and dangerous every day, with whispers of a far more ancient and greater force stirring beneath the surface."

OwlishIntergalactic Wrote: I'd prefer the updated synopsis to be on this list if possible:

Ooh, nice blurb! We're trying to keep the character counts down so it's an easier megahuge list to navigate. So we've been limiting the little synopsis/blurbs to max 50 words. I'm more than willing to update any blurbs/tags/whatever though, so if you could send me a shorter version that'd be great, our I could try my hand at it again, though as you can see I'm not the greatest >_<

I don't know if my book fits here. One of the main character is a two-spirited indigenous person while another important character is non-binary. The narrative is mostly action driven and there really isn't much in term of love or relationship.  
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

After the Tilt

Tag:  Two-Spirit Lead, Non-binary side character, Sci-Fi, Psychological, Multiple Lead Characters, Dystopian, Anti-hero

Summary: 
“I have to go. But remember. All this. Everything, we’ve ever done, was all about surviving the 8 minutes in Hell.”

She rested her hand on my cheek once more. For a second, I thought I saw a tear run down the side of her face. The weight of the world seemed to press heavily on her shoulders.

“Stay alive,” she whispered.

200 hundred years ago, as modern civilization was on the verge of collapse, the last remaining scientists gathered in Antarticum and put all of their knowledge and resources together to design a life form capable of surviving the great catastrophe known as “the tilt”. It was in a last-ditch effort that we were created. Humanity put their hope in us but were we enough. History is bound to repeat itself, desperation, power and greed at the forefront of our destiny. But back when this story began, I didn’t know this. I didn’t know any of this. I knew nothing about myself. Nothing about the world outside the “orphanage”. This is me, telling our story.

CCua Wrote: I don't know if my book fits here. One of the main character is a two-spirited indigenous person while another important character is non-binary. The narrative is mostly action driven and there really isn't much in term of love or relationship.

Heck yeah it totally fits! The list is mostly just to help people find stories with any amount of lgbtqia+ representation, not just stories that focus heavily on it. Also I'm personally thrilled every time I find a story that had non-binary characters :p

Sereminar Wrote: The list is mostly just to help people find stories with any amount of lgbtqia+ representation, not just stories that focus heavily on it.

Slightly off-topic... I'm noticing while following this thread that there seems to be a very common anxiety that stories that are not specifically about characters being LGBTQIA might not count. Gotta say, I love above all else stories where the characters do interesting things that have little or nothing to do with orientation/gender/alt-sex/etc and yet are believably non-straight/non-cis/etc. Not saying I want that part to be tacked on or trivialized, it's obviously pretty fundamental to how some of us see the world, but people are more than a single trait, and treating that one trait as defining absolutely everything they do annoys me. Like someone gender-fluid can't explore the dungeon or someone ace can't find the cure for a plague or something. (I should stop trying to express myself right before bed...)

Would it be worth emphasizing somewhere that it does not have to be a romance or coming-out story to still belong on this list? I can't help but wonder whether some are not being suggested because of that kind of anxiety. Just a thought, feel free to ignore it. Thank you for managing the list!

My story, linked below, follows a gay male character and a bisexual female character. There's also a handful of side characters who land on various different parts of the spectrum.

A Drop of Water & Blood tells the story of a teenage, aspiring journalist turned vampire and his best friend, a secret-sorceress. If it sounds interesting at all, I schedule my updates twice a week, on the weekends.

I'm going to toss this in here. Secondary characters vary since it's a series of stories, and new central characters do appear over time. Until the appearance of a central trans character after about 80K words (of roughly 250K so far) it's low-level background that most of the main characters do not come from cultures that identify orientation and effectively are pansexual. (There is a short arc with a secondary trans character as well.) As of saying this, I've only started sharing it on RR 3 days ago, so it'll take a little time for anything to become more visible.

Moonblood - https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/42852/moonblood 
Pan, Trans, High fantasy, Adventure, Mythos
The creation of the no-longer-human children of five moon gods was done long ago, but they don't all share the priorities of their divine mothers. Some have grown corrupted and abuse their gifts. One small group just want to go their own way, doing what feels right to them.

MarytheGorgon Wrote: I hope you guys are still adding stories!

We are definitely still adding stories! Thanks a bunch everyone for helping us make this list! 

If you aren't sure that a story is on the list you can search it by going into your web browsers options/drop down menu and clicking "find in page" then typing the story name in. Or if you are on a computer you can use ctrl + f  or on safari command + f which will bring up the same search bar. 

So if you know a story we are missing please don't hesitate to drop a link :D

We just put them in the order we find them, so the latest ones are at the bottom

If you could coordinate with/take over for the mostly inactive LGBTQ+ Web Serials Tagpacker page, it would become an invaluable resource, and you could even tag for what LGBT content appears, or how prominent/not prominent it is, and complete/dropped/ongoing and that sort of thing. I'm glad for this thread that is basically doing all the hard work that would be a Royal Road tag except that one does not exist. I don't even have any additions because it looks like the thread already has all I knew about.

One note: As far as I can tell, not all of my stories are listed on this, but all of my stories on Royal Road have LGBT characters and themes, and it's pretty wide-ranging too, except for Cultivine which only has a BL subplot that was added in due to reader demand. Some of the stories have LGBT content that is somewhat of spoilers, though, so I don't know how this list deals with that if at all.

OwlishIntergalactic Wrote:
Thedude3445 Wrote: As far as I can tell, not all of my stories are listed on this, but all of my stories on Royal Road have LGBT

I have Gay Gatsby sitting on my to read shelf waiting for me to catch up on my current reads because OMG, I need queer Great Gatsby in my life.

Ha that one's not on Royal Road but I really hope you enjoy it, because it was one of my most fun and bizarrely experimental writing experiences ever.

I've thought about adding it to Royal Road in a couple years after sales inevitably decline to zero, but this is very much not the kind of website for an artsy queer satire book where each chapter is about 10,000 words long. Or maybe that's exactly what Royal Road needs, because the more gay, the better...