Re: Summoned/Reincarnated/Teleported to a new world and they want to go home? Seriously?

Tynian Wrote: This can somehow be solved with magic or be made acceptable if you end up with the nobility (and have servants do this for you).

Security (monsters+dangerous magic users) and the loss of family, lovers, friends seems less easy to replace than hot water ^^
That'd be the worst possible scenario for me, though. I don't want a full time government job where people expect me to have kids and be responsible for peoples livelihoods. 

Im not super sure on the history of European nobility but I somewhat doubt it's really like in the novels where a noble title means nothing in practice. 

Re: Summoned/Reincarnated/Teleported to a new world and they want to go home? Seriously?

Depends on the individual and the situation that brought them there.

lonely person who recently lost their family and now finds they are something like royalty and people practically worship them is going to be more likely to want to stay.

Someone who is just finishing college with a computer science degree, has an engagement ring ready to propose and a job lined up who finds themself being basically kidnapped and told to fight in a war against things that they don't understand and they have no access to the usual things they are used to in life, even if now they got new tools, its going to throw their whole mindset out of whack and they are likely not going to be happy about being here.

That said I do think many would eventually choose to stay behind who didn't want to and visa versa, but it boils down to the why they want to return.

When do I get to return home matters - if I can figure it out.  I have a wife and kids who depend on my income.   If I have no reason to think otherwise I'll assume that time travels the same in both worlds, so I'm in a hurry to get home for the first week - I can sort of hand wave my being gone from work and family for a week and I will be forgiven.  I'll go in the first year or so, but getting back into life will be harder.  By 3 years I assume I now have connections in the new world, and the old world has forgotten about me so I'm not sure if I'd leave.  By year 10 - my wife has married someone else, my job has forgotten about me, and my skills are out of date - I have no reason to go back unless the new world is truly awful.

There is realistically nothing inherently good or fun about magic. Hell, if I were to take this computer I'm typing this response on back a 1000 years, they'd think it's magic. The only reason reading about magic is fun, is because it's not real-life and because there is something new and creative in each and every novel.

The appeal of most magic worlds would realistically probably lay in being the strongest and the best: a hero. Things are mostly made unrealistically easy for protagonists though, or alternatively, the less fun things are simply left out. Language? No problem. Money? give him some for free! Culture? Nearly the same. Psychological shock (due to a large variety of things)? Doesn't exist. Lack of any daily comforts you're used to? Not talked about. Family? ... I guess that is one of the few topics that comes up at times.
If anything, the complaining and misery a magic world would bring, is cut out of most novels

At the same time, most novels idealize the wonders magic would bring. There are things to explore and discover, the world is rough and unregulated. You're free and you can be a hero!
All this, and more, might give you sense of wonder, but how realistic is it all really? How fun would it be if some rich kid ran into you and simply broke your leg. Or if that random bum that didn't look that dangerous would stab you in the back? Tough luck my dude! No one is going to help you. All that freedom and wonder has some major down sides.

And what about that sense of wonder. Throwing a fireball once, twice or even a hundred times would be fun. But what about after that? Your sense of wonder will disappear and throwing that fireball will become as normal as driving a car. 

Overall you might as well paradrop yourself straight into a South American jungle. I bet there is adventure, freedom and a sense of wonder to be had there as well. 

Personally I'd never sacrifice the comfort and safety of our current society for any of that. Let alone sacrificing all contact to everyone I've ever known. But to each his own I guess. 
Maybe if I were to be transported to a futuristic world with magic, where I got all the massive advantages and freebies most protagonist get (easy reliable friends, the best skills, an overall secure start and so on and so forth). If all that was guaranteed, I might start thinking about it. I'd still be giving up all my social contacts and family here though. So not sure it's worth it even then.

Interesting discussion. As someone who is a historian (of Byzantine history) and loves political and military history, if I was reincarnated in a new world as a King/Emperor, I would admit that I might be tempted to say: "Sounds great, I'm staying here!" (and then go on some military campaign to test if my knowledge of the campaigns of Caesar, Alexander, Hannibal and others can make me invincible general - so probably my subjects will not like me :) lol )

But staying in a medieval world simply for magic? Nope. I guess I am typical 'big-city' young person (24yo): haven't been in the wild, know to cook only with modern kitchen equipment that works with electricity, like comforts like heating, like to take showers daily (which would not be possible in a medieval world, except perhaps for nobility of an Empire comparable to RL Byzantines). I am easily disgusted. I hate snakes, spiders and other disgusting creatures. 

I also do not like fighting. I know some self-defense moves (from a Chinese martial arts style I studied for a few years) and exercise a bit, but I am not muscled guy or action hero. So even with magic I might panic in a dangerous battle. I would not survive long in such a world, and if I did I would desperately try to find a way to get back home. 

But then again I am a rather conservative person who dislikes uncertainty and turmoil and prefers order and safety. So the idea of a big new world to explore does not appeal much to me.