Re: Summoned/Reincarnated/Teleported to a new world and they want to go home? Seriously?

Can someone start a new thread ? We are really derailing this one.

Back on topic :D, there are lots of what ifs :
  1. Is the shield always active, or does it need activation
  2. Would border castles have high quality perma shields ?
  3. Usually i think magic shields protect from other magic and/or reinforce the walls a bit.
  4. How much damage can it really take. How is said damage calculated. 

Re: Summoned/Reincarnated/Teleported to a new world and they want to go home? Seriously?

Sarcosuchus Wrote: Imagine scientist being isekai'ed, and then he is like: "Oh, no. Anyways, I know how reality works. There is no way back. I'll create everything I need. If cannot, I'll replace it with something similar."

Well that's actually the story I'm writing and believe me (I'm at chap 50 in my drafting), even with magic, some things are hard to procure without heavy industry. (just rare earth purification for ex is a nightmare, but so is the production of chemicals on a large scale). 

The only way it becomes easy is if your magic system is open. Like: i want silicon ? i just use matter creation magic andd for 1 mana i get 1 ton of pure silicon. Need steel ? for 2 mana i get 1 ton of pure steel. etc...
But that's just lazy writing IMO ^^

Ramingo Wrote:
Llamadragon Wrote: Yeah but on the other hand, there's probably nothing but their own meta rules stopping fantasyland from employing those same unskilled masses to copy industrial methods. We can't easily make bombs with magic attached to them; they can do that with medieval fantasy tech, however. All they need is one spy, or one 'traitor' from Earth, or even just a science school book and they'll know how to make bombs.

From the medieval period it took us an extra 700 years to get to this point. I doubt that somebody could replicate it easily just because of one person.

Yeah but don't forget that 'linear progress' isn't a thing. For example, there were some guys off in Persia who could make steel that rivaled modern steel in strength and purity over a thousand years ago. A similar smelter emerged independently in England during the middle ages, and that didn't take off, not because they didn't have the technology or the means to develop it, but because of politics messing with Christian monasteries leading to the smelter getting shut down. This steel was vastly superior to the alloys we usually think of when we talk pre-industrial era, but it didn't break out into mainstream use. 

Why? It wasn't needed at the time. If it's needed, we find it, we use it, and we explore its potential uses. If a fantasy world has seen a bomb and decided "hey, we want that, lets put money towards making it happen" then it will happen. 

Not saying they won't need a research team (they probably would) just that it wouldn't exactly take 700 years to figure it out once there's a need for it. It'd get done quickly, with or without stealing intel from Earth. Even if they didn't, they could still probably invite people to a think tank, someone could go "hmmm, those bombs remind me of how cow shit sometimes catch fire spontaneously" and boom, bombs. 

Knowing that something CAN be done helps a lot in figuring it out.

A personal example. One of my hobbies is Lego building. In case you don't know what an AFOL is and can't tell your SNOT from a BURP (yes, those are all technical terms), I'm not talking building sets. I like creating my own. Once, while attending the biggest Lego convention in the country, another builder displayed something revolutionary, but wasn't around to explain how he did it. A lot of us stared at it (no, we don't touch another's art without permission or in an emergency) but couldn't figure it out. Eventually, I did. I could only look at the finished product, but I figured it out and adapted it to something completely different. 

(If you're curious, there's a picture of it in the artist's obituary on Brothers Brick. It's the flexible Joker cape. The man was brilliant.)

Regardless, there are examples all over. Once one person figures it out, it can be copied. That's why patent laws exist. The converse can also be true. Even if it's necessary, the necessity might not birth the invention. The Greeks understood steam power, and even created vacuum chambers. They had no applications for these, however, and they remained idle curiosities of natural philosophy.

It doesn't always take a genius to change things. It might just need sufficient motivation in the same person who recognizes how it can be done. 

damascus steel is more legend than real technological advancement https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damascus_steel In the end they were just lucky with some ore composition and it barely made a difference in warfare. 

I'd rather take the exemple of natives americans using guns. Having some earth greedy weapons dealer supplying the other world in exchange for magical tools seems far more plausible IMO. 

Well, I have always assumed the reasoning behind "We can Summon you, but can't send you back." is that there is no magic on Earth. So the energy for the "Summoning" comes from the other world. 

I suppose you could open a portal to Earth, but it would be fully powered from the magic side.  Meaning they could close it at any time and Earth would have no control over where or when they would open, or for how long. How much mass can travel through it, and for what cost? 

Would anything traveling in such a way change it's properties to align with the new world it is traveling to? Such as electronics no longer working on the magic side, and magic items no longer working on the Earth side.  Would mana/magic/chi/chakra/energy/spirit/mojo even regenerate on the Earth side?

Would someone traveling to Earth lose their magic and when traveling back to magic be reset to level 1 ?

If the magic world has a system with blue screens or levels and classes, would that system transfer to Earth with the opening of a portal, or would it require the magic on both sides of the portal to equalize in some manner first?  Does Earth secretly have a system already and the two systems would fight for dominance? Would they merge into a new system?

Would the gods/goddesses of the magic world go to war with the  gods/goddesses of Earth?

Too many problems, that is why most stories stick to summoning. I just wanted to know why all the people want to come back to Earth.  I personally hope if any of you get isekai'ed have them summon me too!!!!! I have several buddies and family members that would kick my butt if I got isekai'ed and didn't summon them to join me.

Want me to kill the demon king? Sure, just summon my sisters family and cure her cancer. I fight anybody you want. (Just an example, my sister is fine thank god.)

Crusixblade Wrote:
Wes Wrote: Okay, you might have a point with the Coffee.

Now think about this. Cake. Do you know how expensive a cake is to make without modern tech? It's maddening. Chocolate too. Heck, they might not even have chocolate.

Azarinth Healer by Rhaegar is a fantastic portal/isekai story if you like cake. It's also a fantastic story even if you don't. Good stuff. Just sayin'.

MaximumCat Wrote:
Crusixblade Wrote:
Wes Wrote: Okay, you might have a point with the Coffee.

Now think about this. Cake. Do you know how expensive a cake is to make without modern tech? It's maddening. Chocolate too. Heck, they might not even have chocolate.

Azarinth Healer by Rhaegar is a fantastic portal/isekai story if you like cake. It's also a fantastic story even if you don't. Good stuff. Just sayin'.

But she still haven't found coffee, I believe :( 

Personally speaking, if it's a scientifically advanced world, I might not have a problem staying, but if it's in the middle ages, even with magic, it might be a good vacation for a few days, but staying? Nah! I wouldn't wanna poop in a bucket for the rest of my life...

In all honesty, few people will be willing to give up all the advantages our modern lives bring us just for magic. I mean, think about it. Even the fact that we are able to write this all down and people from anywhere in the world could read it, is thanks to a magic-less modern life...

Now if the world had advanced technology as well as magic, or magic had evolved to the point where it can mimic modern world technology to the T, then people might consider staying, and that is if you have no loved one in the world you left behind, and don't really care about anybody else in the world but yourself...

gej302 Wrote: The biggest thing is the general reluctance to let go of what you know.  It's one thing when you sign up for it, as you and I did once already. It's another when its just there all the sudden. 

The average modern young adult has almost no wilderness survival, has never needed to read a map, use a compass, or any of the other things that somehow magically happen.

Let me fix some misconceptions you have: Most schools (at least in OK) require you to be taught to read a map and a compass, and this is reviewed in every grade. Not only that, it's not that hard to admit that you know nothing (in science, history, and etc. many theories and accepted truths are disproved each year). It's also not that hard to adapt to an unfamiliar environment (ever moved to a new house, city, state, or nation? Cause that is changing your environment) unless it is overly hostile. Plus I'm sure many of us young people have gone camping before and learned how to boil water, gather firewood, make fire (flintstones anyone? (not the show, the rock) Also lighters, however, you most likely won't have one) and etc.

Wes Wrote: Well, I have always assumed the reasoning behind "We can Summon you, but can't send you back." is that there is no magic on Earth. So the energy for the "Summoning" comes from the other world. 

I suppose you could open a portal to Earth, but it would be fully powered from the magic side.  Meaning they could close it at any time and Earth would have no control over where or when they would open, or for how long. How much mass can travel through it, and for what cost? 

Would anything traveling in such a way change it's properties to align with the new world it is traveling to? Such as electronics no longer working on the magic side, and magic items no longer working on the Earth side.  Would mana/magic/chi/chakra/energy/spirit/mojo even regenerate on the Earth side?

Would someone traveling to Earth lose their magic and when traveling back to magic be reset to level 1 ?

If the magic world has a system with blue screens or levels and classes, would that system transfer to Earth with the opening of a portal, or would it require the magic on both sides of the portal to equalize in some manner first?  Does Earth secretly have a system already and the two systems would fight for dominance? Would they merge into a new system?

Would the gods/goddesses of the magic world go to war with the  gods/goddesses of Earth?

Great Story material. I think I found out my next story after I finish my current one. Just trying to work with all of that would be a challenge and be pretty interesting to watch fall out. 

I think a big thing here is that you appear to have clearly differing views from other people. I would be mortified if I even found myself trapped in a foreign country, let alone another world. Even if you had little familial attachments or few friends, I feel like you'd be an extreme amount of shock suddenly finding yourself in a fantasy world.

Stories where the main character has no reaction, or is even excited to be in a new world comes across as extremely strange, and unrelatable to me.

WasatchWind Wrote: I think a big thing here is that you appear to have clearly differing views from other people. I would be mortified if I even found myself trapped in a foreign country, let alone another world. Even if you had little familial attachments or few friends, I feel like you'd be an extreme amount of shock suddenly finding yourself in a fantasy world.

Stories where the main character has no reaction, or is even excited to be in a new world comes across as extremely strange, and unrelatable to me.I

Imigine scientist-MC going full nuts after his death and reincarnation, and then completely forgetting his relatives, just having to research the world yet again.

WasatchWind Wrote: I think a big thing here is that you appear to have clearly differing views from other people. I would be mortified if I even found myself trapped in a foreign country, let alone another world. Even if you had little familial attachments or few friends, I feel like you'd be an extreme amount of shock suddenly finding yourself in a fantasy world.

Yeah seriously. When I go abroad, I usually have a hard time even just wrapping my head around the local ticket system for the subways. 

I think it would take quite a while before I felt safe in another world, simply because I'd never know if I'm walking around with some huge cultural blindspot. I remember a news article I read a while ago about a few refugees who moved here from a rural village in Africa. They tried to farm in their garden, but their housing rules didn't allow that and they were told to stop and restore the lawn. So they moved their crops inside; just dumped a bunch of soil on the floor and planted stuff. That made perfect sense to them; they'd lived in homes with earth flooring and didn't know they were messing up the floorboards. They'd come from a community where they were expected to farm. So they farmed. 

That'd realistically be me. I'd do something like that by accident sooner or later. Honestly I'm surprised I don't read more idsekai stories with culture clashes; for example, MC's tend to just start slaughtering monsters, and it'd be super easy for them to accidentally kill someones pets or livestock because they give EXP and they looked scary. Or even hunt sapient people because they looked like animals and they didn't know. Or accidentally wear something culturally offensive. Or being unaware that they're tresspassing because the housing and landowning laws are different. Or any number of stupid things tourists do all the time because they don't understand the local customs. Hell, here it is super easy to tell who is a tourist and who is an immigrant just because the immigrants have probably adjusted the volume of their voice to fit the local culture. You can hear an American tourist from the other end of the street because they talk really loud compared to us. There are so many little things like that that'd make me stand out as a foreigner and thus an easy pickpocketing target. I have no confidence I'd be able to just blend in immediately in a different world. I'd be incredibly uneasy about it for a while, so I don't want to suddenly get isekai'ed. If I can prepare and choose... maybe. But who wants the choice taken away from them?

I get that this doesn't happen in isekai novels a lot because people generally read isekai for the heroic tales, not the embarassing mistakes. But if I actually got isekai'ed, I'd realistically be in a very vulnerable position for a fairly long time, just like any solo traveler who doesn't understand how it works locally.

Not to delve into the depths of the ongoing discussions, but I have 2 points on the original question itself.

1. If you have some OP skill or blessing or ability, then it might not be too bad to be summoned into another world. Even a restful situation with time to think and consider would help. If you do not, your life expectancy is not likely very long.

2. I would think that any world which has people from other worlds just popping up, would have an X-Files style secret agreement in place regarding how the deal such people. i. e. "Should any extraterrestrial being survive a crash landing to Earth, the nation that is holding that being is responsible for its extermination." 

Sarcosuchus Wrote: Imagine scientist being isekai'ed, and then he is like: "Oh, no. Anyways, I know how reality works. There is no way back. I'll create everything I need. If cannot, I'll replace it with something similar."

Anyone remember in Everworld when the kids needed money so they invented the telegraph system and sold the tech to the fairies

And then had to deal with the consequences of earlier trading away a high school chemistry textbook to the warlike aliens who'd ended up lost in the fantasy world, accidentally giving them the secrets of gunpowder and creating just a terrible time for everyone

Of course we want to go home  peojudging

The only reason is most of the modern society is safe, because the government hold monopoly to the violence. Someone mugging you? Government. Someone assaulting you? Government. Someone kill you? Well okay, the last one a bit late, but still for the next guy, government!

And with the invention of the firearm as the great equalizer, we're not a thrall anymore to anyone who jacked up their body at the local MMA fighting ring or something. But this monopoly will instantly collapse the moment that the people have superpower (Sorry, magic). If there's anything I learn from reading xianxia, isekai, and any superheroes stuff, is that being civilian suck. You wanted to dedicate your life to studying some esoteric fungus? BAM! A young master break your door and demand you to give up your house, you wanted to become a great ramen chef? BAM! Someone beat you just because you don't cater them the moment they came through the door.

It's.Freaking.Crazy.

The only reason the protagonist alive and not die the minute he stepped into the back alley of the new town is because all writer don them in the plot effing armor. Because otherwise we won't have any story to tell!

Sure magic is a cool. But unless you live in a gated community of sufficiently, powerful, wealthy, and non murdering sibling environment, it's better (health-wise) to be on earth. 

I see a lot of points already being made and repeated but to summarize it all. 

Attachments, whether it'd be your family, your friends, your wealth, your home, your massive collection of anime girl figurines, your massive collection of light novels and/or manga, your access to unlimited anime, your love for food, especially your pets, etc.

As long as you have some sort of strong attachment to the life you're currently in, it's gonna be hard to straight up abandon it altogether.

Sure you can be all powerful and have the highest stats in some fantasy-like world, but wouldn't you miss your dog whose missing you just as much maybe more? 
Without means of summoning the things you already had, it'll be hard to let go.

Anyways, unless the person is completely detached from their life on planet Earth then they'll always have a reason to go back home.

Plus it adds some sort of character to have things to be attached to. 

It's worth pointing out that most isekai worlds don't have the internet or hot water/electric heating. Have you ever had to cut your own firewood to warm your home and heat massive amounts of water whenever you want to get clean? I have! It sucks! And it would've sucked a lot more if chainsaws hadn't been invented! You can dump me in a fantasy world and crown me King of the Unicorn Riders and you can be sure I'm heading right back home if I can't get an automatic hot water heater and access to my Steam library.