Re: Hello Lovely Internet Folks!

Hi folks!
My name is Kirsty Mackay and I am a new writer on this website. I have started posting my novel Hack and Slash in chapter by chapter chunks every week day. It is a LitRPG or GameLit novel with a queer female protagonist with a shady background who has been thrown into a virtual fantasy world! My lead character Gwen was really fun to write as I think she has a lot of the same reactions to events in the book that I would have! Like hiding up a tree when a big scary beetle thing comes through the bushes at you. It's just the sensible thing to do.
I started to write this book years ago and it has gone through loads of changes since then, but I think they've been for the better? I hope so, the ending has changed back and forth a few times, but I've gotten started on the next book in the series so it's going to have to stay like that now.
Anyway, I figured I should introduce myself and my book! I'll leave the full description below.

A new life for Gwen. One that begins up a tree, hiding from a monster.
The world of After was supposed to be a sanctuary from a reality in which the sun is destroying the planet. National leaders mashed together a dozen video games and added the ensuing virtual reality to a cryogenics system big enough for a billion people. And then shot the lucky minority into the void on a space ship. This was the best plan they had.
Only, it turns out there are monsters in After that want to destroy humanity too. And as a Half-Elf Hunter, Gwen has found herself in the middle of a hoard of them.

Thank you all so much for the lovely welcomes, I think the way you've all been really nice proves that I was right to call you lovely! (Almost wrote "write" instead of "right" there I think I've been looking at this screen too long!)

As to the cover, I can claim nothing as I basically went "this is the opening scene, this is what my character looks like, do you think a cover could be made out of it?" But I've sent an email along asking if it would be OK for me to share about the artist on here, I don't want to invade their privacy.

The welcome gang might give a slightly skewed impression of how nice everyone is on this site. I think the majority of members are decent, but there are a few who can be a little extreme and you might have to be prepared for that. Particularly if your story becomes very popular. 

The mods do a decent job of dealing with personal attacks, but sometimes even constructive criticism can be a little hurtful. And not all the criticism will be constructive, worded delicately, or even factually accurate; so something else you might want to be mindful of. As I said, I think this is a great site and the majority of members here are good people, but I figure it is better to be mindful of the worst that can happen and be pleasantly surprised by how rare it is, than for you to be suddenly blindsided by an unexplained 0.5 rating, harsh comment/review, or suddenly toxic review swap.

Anyways, sorry for being such a downer, but hoping that forewarned is forearmed. Also, if you have any further questions or doubts, the forums are generally a good place to obtain answers. Lots of authors, readers, and there is even a professional editor there whose advice and comments seem quite insightful. There is the odd troll or two, but by and large I feel that most people will try their best to help. Best wishes.

msng Wrote: The welcome gang might give a slightly skewed impression of how nice everyone is on this site.
We do, don't we? 🤔 Maybe we should start hazing the newbies..?

I jest. The drive by 0.5s are the rite of passage that most people experience. Listen to Msng, most people here tend towards friendly/helpful, but - such is life - you will always encounter those who are less so. Listen to criticism & learn from it, but remember you can't please everyone, so ultimately you get to decide if it's relevant to the story you want to tell. 👍