Re: What type of scenes do you love to write?

My favourite thing to write is pure exposition on topic, but most importantly is the magic system. I love delving into intricacies of the system, developing its foundation and struction. My side novel is a further attribution to this since it's a 'book' of alchemy recipes without the story element of a book. It isn't fun to read I imagine, but damn is it fun to write here and there. You might not be allowed to write five paragraphs on that interesting looking herb in your MCs periphery in a normal story, but an alchemical guidebook? I can do as I please.

Romance scenes are a meh for me personally. Having taken part in lots of roleplay I find that writing romance is a bit dull by myself. Even if I find my emotions welling at the interactions, there's little enjoyment in writing it. Hopefully this starts a trend of the person below giving their opinion of the previous entrant's favourite type...

Great topic!  peoYes

I love writing conversations which develop characters more. Whether it's emotional, or me "trying" to be funny, or a defining revelation. Writing a superhero series I am always conscious of there being action in each chapter, but I like nothing more than slowing it down and exploring the 'regular' side of life. It takes me longer to write action scenes because I try to a) visualise them and b) am careful that they don't sound too boring... But with conversations, it just flows better for me.

I really love how Quentin Tarantino does conversations- Reservoir Dogs 'tipping' scene and the simplicity of them just conversing but also how engaging these scenes are. (I know a lot of it is the visual camera work, but the writing behind it also has a big part to play). 
I like trying to pay homage to that way of storytelling (and try to incorporate a diner scene in order to do that!) 

Cliffhangers!  I kid, I kid, but for a long time that was a thing I couldn't get away from.  Not on purpose mind you, but every other scene was stopped in the middle, as it were.

I like writing action scenes, but the ones I spend the most time on tend to be plot twists, rising tension scenes, and villain's scenes (though the latter won't be getting much playtime in the current story until much later).

Bananalloy Wrote: Romance scenes are a meh for me personally. Having taken part in lots of roleplay I find that writing romance is a bit dull by myself. Even if I find my emotions welling at the interactions, there's little enjoyment in writing it.

I wanted to wait for other responses but I couldn't lol. These are all very interesting lol. It is interesting how writers have their own preferred scene types to write. You are my polar opposite! But may be I am just excited since I haven't written much romance before. XD Roleplay as in part of acting lessons?

EnhancedBeing Wrote: I really love how Quentin Tarantino does conversations- Reservoir Dogs 'tipping' scene and the simplicity of them just conversing
Oooh I love this one too, as in they are doing something very tense and serious and yet sharing some banters as if they are everyday Joe. Feels great to both write and read such scenes. 

I love writing group scenes where a group of people are just having fun and messing with each other. Banter that showcases the friendships, tensions and character of the people involved.

I always like the idea of writing action scenes, but I always struggle to actually write it. I also have a tendancy to just dump exposition on a reader but I'm trying to reign that in a bit.

Hmmm. Settings and descriptions for me. It's a little dull perhaps, but I like setting moods by using oppressing landscapes and stuff. I am drawn to mountains that rise towards the heavens like broken, jagged claws. Sea winds that gurgle with voices it stole from sailors the moment they drowned. Draconic storms that roar with flickering lightning and breathes out the smell of ozone and skyfire. 

This is probably why so many of my stories usually never GO anywhere lmao. It's one of my strengths for sure, but it's simultaneously my biggest weakness in writing. Everything in moderation and all that. 

Any writing in regards to intellectual, smart stuff. Like doing the impossible with tactics, or using science to do unbelievable acts.
I also love writing about battles and fights while fleshing out the action within those scenes.
Comedic scenes and harmless pranks also add to the fun! So I really enjoy adding a bit of light-hearted moments every once in a while after intense or dark moments to help ease the mood.

Sneaky cliffhangers are always a great tease as well, especially when they are on point - right at the end of chapters... hehe
peoEsmile

My two favorite type of scenes are action and character conversations. Vastly different to be sure, but I love the adrenaline rush of an action scene as well as the emotional impact of a quiet conversation. If there was only some way to combine the two. Hmm...

"How are you?" asked Gredlin drawing his sword. "I've been better," answered Naline as she swung her sword at his head. Gredlin brought his sword up just in time to deflect her blow. "Sorry to hear that," he said, thrusting his sword forward at her chest. She turned quickly, but Grenlin's sword still dug into her arm leaving a deep gash. She cursed. "Yeah, it seems no one in my family understands me." Spinning around, she swung her sword at her opponent's neck. "Just because I chose to follow the evil wizard Krumply they're now saying I'm evil." Gredlin began to answer, but the words never came as Naline's sword sliced into his neck and he fell to the ground.

Dude! How can this many people have commented and not have every one of them be the "Scene where it all collides" moment? The top of the mountain scene, the last battle scene, the "I am your father" scene... the turning point?
XD Just kidding. But, seriously, those huge emotional clashes, where the character motivation story and the grand plot come together, are what I write for.

I love writing dialogue. Banter, jokes, flirting, small talk. I enjoy trying to make it sound like a conversation real people would be having, making sure that a character's lines fit them, and giving each character their own unique voice.

I really like elaborate (maybe too elaborate) description too. I want the reader to feel like they are meeting a new person or discovering a new place just like the characters in the story. I am a very visual thinker (when I write I am basically doing my best to describe the "picture" or "movie" I have of the scene in my head) so I get to do this a lot.

Action is fun too, though I find it kind of tough to write. I like trying to make it clear what's happening, without slowing down a fight with too much description (sometimes difficult considering the previous point).

FantasyBliss30 Wrote:
Bananalloy Wrote: Romance scenes are a meh for me personally. Having taken part in lots of roleplay I find that writing romance is a bit dull by myself. Even if I find my emotions welling at the interactions, there's little enjoyment in writing it.

I wanted to wait for other responses but I couldn't lol. These are all very interesting lol. It is interesting how writers have their own preferred scene types to write. You are my polar opposite! But may be I am just excited since I haven't written much romance before. XD Roleplay as in part of acting lessons?
I much prefer to read romance over creating it, although funnily enough I do consider myself a romantic person.

Oooh boy, roleplay is a subject with massive breadth. I only have 2 years experience, so more knowledgeable people should feel free to cut in. At its core, it's just people taking on the roles of characters in a prompt and acting it out. We play our own characters and see where things go, as mentioned in another thread you can consider people who act in character during D&D 'roleplayers'. It quite literally is what the constituent words that create it are, that being a person playing a role. As for why do it? It's a lot more enjoyable with more people since you aren't directing the world yourself, like how a DM playing a game of D&D by themselves wouldn't be very fun even if they controlled the entire world themselves.
You also have the branch of NSFW stuff... but that's something else entirely. Still roleplaying, but often for a very different purpose than creating and enjoying a world.