Re: I Need a Name for my MC! (And Now Plot Advice)

~EDIT~
I'm starting to nail down this idea, but there's one important pivot-point I need your help with, again. My MC is going to, somehow, arrive at Bad Situation #1 via one of two methods, but I can't decide which to use.
A) She is thrust into Bad Situation #1 without any other choice, utterly powerless, terrified, not knowing what she's in for and with no allies, or
B) She chooses Bad Situation #1 over what she considers a worse situation, not knowing what she's in for and with no allies, but at least with at least the agency to make bad decisions for herself.
There are pros and cons to each, and I'd love to hear the input of anyone who has experienced these kinds of story-starters in books before. Does one generally work out better narratively then the other? Do you find it more important to give characters agency to launch the story themselves, even if it means they're making drastic, ill-conceived decisions, or to make them powerless until they've earned control over their situation through trials and tribulation?
Thanks in advance!
~END EDIT~

Hiya! Maybe this is a bit petty for the Assistance boards, but I do need the help. I have a brand new novel idea I'm going to try and turn into something, but my MC is nameless, and that just won't do.
So, setup.
She's a young woman in what might be a first-person narrative - bright-dystopian setting - and I need a name fairly mundane but modern-to-futuristic. I was thinking Sam(anatha) or Jude(ith) for mundanity, but I'd love to hear some suggestions from people who actually read dystopian/female-led stories. Or... anyone, actually. Which do you prefer, or do you have some names of your own? I'll take whatever help you've got!

Re: I Need a Name for my MC!

What you can do to find inspiration : 

use google trad (pick a defining caracteristic of your MC and just try translating it in rare langages (xhosa, mongolian, maori etc... ) It works real good to find inspiration.

On the same principle latin/greek root of the main caracteristic works well too (ex someone coming from far away : tel=away, carrying= pher => Pertel, Telepe, Teleph etc..)  https://www.oakton.edu/user/3/gherrera/Greek%20and%20Latin%20Roots%20in%20English/greek_and_latin_roots.pdf

Since you are going SF (so a few years in our future), you can also check the most given names in recent years. (maternity ledgers). It gives the trend for the next 25 years ^^ https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/parenting/a29327696/popular-baby-names-2020/

I like the name Hana/Hannah. But it is one that you can't make it sound like a male one and somehow in all dystopian settings, the female characters tend to have those unisex names that the male leads love to confuse for male ones... I might be petty, but I've had enough of Sam, Joe, Ray, Max, Mel, Andy, Chris, etc. But in the end, it is your character and you need to be happy with the name.

Ariana Wrote: I like the name Hana/Hannah. But it is one that you can't make it sound like a male one and somehow in all dystopian settings, the female characters tend to have those unisex names that the male leads love to confuse for male ones... I might be petty, but I've had enough of Sam, Joe, Ray, Max, Mel, Andy, Chris, etc. But in the end, it is your character and you need to be happy with the name.

That's a great point, actually. Hannah isn't quite right for her, but this character definitely isn't a natural tough girl, so a more obviously-feminine name is a good idea. Thanks for the input!

Tynian Wrote: use google trad (pick a defining caracteristic of your MC and just try translating it in rare langages (xhosa, mongolian, maori etc... ) It works real good to find inspiration.

^^; I love that technique, but the names you get are usually so cool and exotic they wouldn't work here. The idea is that this girl is a real nobody, plain and unremarkable, and her name should (hopefully) reflect that.

Then just pick from the baby list. 

Depends afterwards what background/origin you want to give her and caracter. 

Scarlett, Aurora and Lucy would be my favourites.

Scarlett for the colour, the idea of passion and the scar shortname. 
Aurora is more gentle and reminds of something illuminating the night.

Lucy is the same : lux/light . 

Really depends on what you want and if you want exotic sounding thing or plain usual. 

One of the best scifi writers of our age named characters Hiro Protagonist and Sonar Tax-Law and the results were amazing, so I wouldn't sweat it too hard on finding the perfect name.

In terms of your plot options, it's hard to answer without more information. But in general, the option that lets the character have more agency and demonstrates who she is as a person is usually the best. So when in doubt, make them choose the plot rather than forcing it upon them, unless there's a very good reason not to.