Re: Does Royal Road track the author's viewing of a page as a real view?

So, on Wattpad, when you publish something it takes you to the published chapter page. It logs this as one view.
In theory, you could shove your work on that site up to trending just by clicking the chapter, clicking away, and clicking back, 500 or so times. Sure it'd take a while, but there's nothing to stop you.
The reason I'm asking this here is not because I'd ever do that. It's because I hate that feature on Wattpad.
It says here that I have just over 500 views on Split Souls. Is it really that high, or are 20+ of those views just me re-reading to check for typos, looking at comments, or opening the chapter for any other reason?
If it is, I'd be sad lol

I don't believe it does, no.
I just checked, my fiction didn't change its view count at all.
So I'm pretty sure all of those are from other people, not you.
I could be wrong, but from everything I've looked through, it seems correct. It also wouldn't make much sense, because then the achievement system for the views would probably be a little screwed up, no?
But that means you won't be sad, so that's a good thing, right? You're doing well!
https%3A%2F%2F2static1.fjcdn.com%2Fcomments%2FIts%2B...a9208d.png 
(Do correct me if I'm wrong, though.)
Best wishes,
Lime

Sometimes Wattpad counts your own clicks and sometimes it does not. Most often it does not although, over the years, Wattpad has altered the way it counts reads many times while fixing bugs due to having changed itself over to a platform styled after Facebook.

But if you completely log out of Wattpad and then log back in and go from the Home Page of a story to any particular chapter and scroll through the entire chapter, including all of the comments, Wattpad will very likely count that as a read whether it is your story or somebody elses', at the rate of once per day -- also at the rate of having signed out and then signing back in.

I think. 😛

Even if it is possible here in RR, I don't see any benefits in cheating the system that way.

I mean readers who can see that sudden surge of 500 views will not go, "Holy crap! This story just got 500 views in 1 hour! This must be the best book eva!"

And as a side note, It is not sad that there is a glitch like that in Wattpad. But people actually doing that to artificially validate their worth, now that shit is sad.

Most sites would require a minimum amount of time spent within a chapter or completion of the chapter to log it as a read, though this varies from site to site. I believe Wattpad tried to fix the long running issue and constant source of complaint about tabulating author accesses, or tried and failed to do so, at least.  While there is some justification for adding author accesses, as they can be seen as attempts to edit and improve work (a kudos of a sort), it's more just authors checking for comments. Its largely just stupidity and a built in source for gaming and skewing the site stats. The place at the best of times has not and still is not quick to correct their code, but over fast to add new questionable, and buggy feature code.  I find this priority questionable, myself. Ramping the splash while ignoring the trash, would not be my choice. The thought or justification is that since it affects everybody, it leavens out across all the members, but that is an excuse for lazy management and lack of moral priority, in my book. 

artsymarsy Wrote:
batotit Wrote: Even if it is possible here in RR, I don't see any benefits in cheating the system that way.

OP stated they didn't want to 'cheat the system,' they wanted to know if it's an accurate count so they can properly gauge interest on their story without their own views inflating the numbers.

?? I am not accusing the op of anything so it's kinda weird you needed to explain that to me.

I am merely giving my opinion on a feature of wattpad the op had observed and he/she should not worry much since "views" are not the best indicator of a book's progress here in RR anyway.

C. Wrote: I'd really like to think that it only counts unique reader visits - one view per reader per chapter. Otherwise one could easily pump up a story by clicking through all the chapters repeatedly, and that would just be terrible.

Notice: I know nothing about how websites work, keep that in mind.
The reason I don’t think it’s true is also because of people who choose to go back and reread a story. That counts as another view. 
https%3A%2F%2Fpa1.narvii.com%2F6353%2F2dc752d5f5e4...281_hq.gif
best wishes,
Lime

Edit, removed to avoid confusion:
This much I’m pretty sure isn’t even possible. For multiple reasons. One is the fact that views by people without accounts must also be tracked, which would make figuring that out a nightmare. 
/
I’m honestly thinking that it might only take into account whether or not you are the author of the fiction to not count your view. I’m on mobile rn so I’ll correct this later,

Lime_Lover Wrote: This much I’m pretty sure isn’t even possible. For multiple reasons. One is the fact that views by people without accounts must also be tracked, which would make figuring that out a nightmare.

I believe some sites use IP tracking to prevent malicious users from pumping up view counts.

That, and I believe RR has a special "bar" you have to clear before it counts as a view. I think it's either spending enough time on the page, or scrolling a certain distance. Might be wrong though, but that's how it worked back on WP.

MarikoRawralton Wrote:
Lime_Lover Wrote: This much I’m pretty sure isn’t even possible. For multiple reasons. One is the fact that views by people without accounts must also be tracked, which would make figuring that out a nightmare.

I believe some sites use IP tracking to prevent malicious users from pumping up view counts.

That, and I believe RR has a special "bar" you have to clear before it counts as a view. I think it's either spending enough time on the page, or scrolling a certain distance. Might be wrong though, but that's how it worked back on WP.

Hm. True. I'm not too good when it comes to this kind of stuff. I don't have much knowledge on how this kind of website works. Or websites in general. 

I know virtually nothing about this kind of stuff, so it's probably not that great of an idea to take any of my words on this as fact.
I wonder if there's a way to check up on this...
I think IP tracking might be one way, but from what I can tell it still seems a bit different. I don't think it only counts one view per unique member regardless, though. That was more what I meant. I'll edit it to sound different to avoid confusion.
Sorry.
https%3A%2F%2Fscreenshots.gamebanana.com%2Fimg%2Fi...555ba9.jpg
Bes wishes,
Lime