Re: Why does every trending story seem to automatically get the Traumatizing Content flag?

Coming at this from a writer's perspective here. The thing is writers choose the tags. It's not automated.

And to be honest, it's a little difficult to judge what is and isn't traumatizing content because people have different definitions of it. I think a lot of writers err on the side of caution so they don't get their stories reported and have to add the tag on it.

This is more of a result from the day and age of the internet where you don't know who will read your story and blast you for having X thing happening in your novel.

Does it take away meaning from the tag? I don't have a good answer for that because I find the definition from that particular tag odd.

Re: Why does every trending story seem to automatically get the Traumatizing Content flag?

NovelNinja Wrote: I've been assuming that it is a general trigger warning, and therefore overused. No, I don't think it has any meaning at this point.

:(

Its a shame. I really liked the tag. I don't really want to read about the MC watching their family be skinned alive, for instance. It was nice to have the upfront warning.

L.J.Anders Wrote: Coming at this from a writer's perspective here. The thing is writers choose the tags. It's not automated.

And to be honest, it's a little difficult to judge what is and isn't traumatizing content because people have different definitions of it. I think a lot of writers err on the side of caution so they don't get their stories reported and have to add the tag on it.

This is more of a result from the day and age of the internet where you don't know who will read your story and blast you for having X thing happening in your novel.

Does it take away meaning from the tag? I don't have a good answer for that because I find the definition from that particular tag odd.

You know, I don't think I've ever actually read the tag's definition, but I can still see where you're coming from.

I mean... RR is about fantasy primarily. And Fantasy these days is all about people getting killed left and right. It's so standard in the genre nowadays that I can see why some people don't see the need to tag RR fictions for that, but it's still people dying or animals getting overhunted for levels or spiritual cores or whatever. Most of those stories DO contain traumatizing content, it's just a lot of us live in cultures where we're really desentizised to violence. We don't blink when bandit A gets his head cut off, but it's... still a guy getting his head chopped, someone who probably didn't even have a lot of choices in life and was forced down the hard road by his circumstances. I'd personally never weep over an impersonal character getting offed this way, but it IS a totally fucked scenario. And I can totally see it being traumatized to people who've had to actually deal with stuff like this.

Anyway, though you do have a point I do find the tag somewhat useful. It's good for looking for more wholesome stories. Sometimes, I just wanna read something that ISN'T traumatizing in any way, y'know?

I've put all the tags just because i didnt want to have to worry about self censorship when writting. 

If i want to kill someone by disembowelling him, i want to be free to.
Have people get drunk, or swearing or close to death etc... 
Or just talking about sex, even if it isnt smut. 

So better safe than sorry, warning people that this is not story for kids, but will contain adult themed material.

Llamadragon Wrote: I mean... RR is about fantasy primarily. And Fantasy these days is all about people getting killed left and right. It's so standard in the genre nowadays that I can see why some people don't see the need to tag RR fictions for that, but it's still people dying or animals getting overhunted for levels or spiritual cores or whatever. Most of those stories DO contain traumatizing content, it's just a lot of us live in cultures where we're really desentizised to violence. We don't blink when bandit A gets his head cut off, but it's... still a guy getting his head chopped, someone who probably didn't even have a lot of choices in life and was forced down the hard road by his circumstances. I'd personally never weep over an impersonal character getting offed this way, but it IS a totally fucked scenario. And I can totally see it being traumatized to people who've had to actually deal with stuff like this.

Anyway, though you do have a point I do find the tag somewhat useful. It's good for looking for more wholesome stories. Sometimes, I just wanna read something that ISN'T traumatizing in any way, y'know?
While I can see where you're coming from, I still think there's some fairly clear lines for some things. The decapitation, for instance, could be anywhere from "Jin's sword passed through his opponent's neck without resistance, ending the fight" to some paragraph long description about exact muscles that were severed and the existential dread that flowed through the bandit's mind in the last second before he died, to flat out horror. There's not much point in the tag for the first one, some room for debate on the second, and a clear need for it on the third. Unfortunately, it feels like people are just slapping it on even for the first.
B.A. Wrote: I have the traumatizing tag on my fiction, but that's because of 2 specific chapters I wrote so far, one that goes into vivid detail about the aftermath of the slaughter of 3 NPCs that one of my POV characters and her boyfriend stumble upon and the other is about a scene that precedes a deadly car accident.

I do put a general description of that stuff in the blurb, so people know exactly what I mean by trauma. I don't include any sexual assault scenes, but the fight scenes get a little gory.

That's pretty much why I include it
Sounds like a decent middle ground. It would still keep people like me from finding your story though as I habitually filter out anything with this tag.

L.J.Anders Wrote: Coming at this from a writer's perspective here. The thing is writers choose the tags. It's not automated.

How do I create a flag in description? I only used Trigger Warnings in prechapter author's note. Should I add it to general description as well? The only flag I used in general description is Gay content since it isn't there in the tags. 
peoeyesparkle

@FantasyBliss30

It's the content warning that the OP speaks of can be added or taken out via the dashboard and clicking on "edit" on the top right. It's below  "tags" on the left side.

RR only has 4 content warning categories, profanity, gore, sexual content, and traumatizing content.

It's all very specific if you hover your mouse over the question mark which honestly brings me to my issue with the traumatizing content warning is that it's specific.

And thus if your story doesn't fall into that specific use, then in my mind why flag a story for that? This entire thread has me wondering how many people actually hovered over the question mark to see what it says, and just mark their story and treating it as a general warning because the way it's written doesn't make it a general warning. Or at least to me.

Anything else that doesn't fit, needs to be stated in the story description because that's how RoyalRoad is. Part of me wonders if it's done this way because they assume the majority of folks are writing the same kinds of stories and that their content warning is universal when it's kinda not.

jacobpaige Wrote: While I can see where you're coming from, I still think there's some fairly clear lines for some things. The decapitation, for instance, could be anywhere from "Jin's sword passed through his opponent's neck without resistance, ending the fight" to some paragraph long description about exact muscles that were severed and the existential dread that flowed through the bandit's mind in the last second before he died, to flat out horror. There's not much point in the tag for the first one, some room for debate on the second, and a clear need for it on the third. Unfortunately, it feels like people are just slapping it on even for the first.
B.A. Wrote: I have the traumatizing tag on my fiction, but that's because of 2 specific chapters I wrote so far, one that goes into vivid detail about the aftermath of the slaughter of 3 NPCs that one of my POV characters and her boyfriend stumble upon and the other is about a scene that precedes a deadly car accident.

I do put a general description of that stuff in the blurb, so people know exactly what I mean by trauma. I don't include any sexual assault scenes, but the fight scenes get a little gory.

That's pretty much why I include it

Whilst I agree that it would be slapped on for the first example you gave, I don't blame them. I think I've done the same. I think its really out of concern that fictions might be pulled if someone complains and it's not been properly tagged. Whilst there are definitions for traumatising content, some people find things more traumatising than others.

I've always thought that authors should be able to flag chapters individually whenever certain content arises, but instead whole books/series have to be tagged regardless of the degree of it. 

FantasyBliss30 Wrote: How do I create a flag in description? I only used Trigger Warnings in prechapter author's note. Should I add it to general description as well? The only flag I used in general description is Gay content since it isn't there in the tags.

You can edit your fiction page where you can add the cover and other tags. The mature contents are down near the bottom.

I've tagged my series with 3/4 tags but they're not relevant in every chapter. I've simply justified my use of them/assured readers in my authors rambling's chapter just as a precaution. Then whenever it appears in a chapter, I put a heads up in the pre author notes. That might work for you too?

Now I'm wondering if I actually should use the 'Traumatising Content' tag. I don't so far, because the description doesn't seem to apply and I try not to get into too much detail with the violence and stuff. But there are things that could potentially be triggering besides that, I think. On the other hand, pretty much anything could be a trigger for trauma, right?

There are two definitions given for this tag on the site. 

When you hover over the tag in the edit page bit:
Moral values are present that are questionable by society and might cause a twisted sense of the world or mental trauma in underage or morally unstable people

In the FAQs > FICTIONS > When should I add mature content tags to my story?:
If the fiction in question contains ideas, depictions of themes that are considered questionable by society at large, then the piece should contain the traumatizing content tag. 

Edit: I suppose the point I'm making is that this might be why authors are tagging their work as this. Is it clear enough what is considered to be under these remits? How strict are our mods when it comes to not tagging the material correctly? I think it's always better to be safe than sorry. 

Tejoka Wrote: Now I'm wondering if I actually should use the 'Traumatising Content' tag. I don't so far, because the description doesn't seem to apply and I try not to get into too much detail with the violence and stuff. But there are things that could potentially be triggering besides that, I think. On the other hand, pretty much anything could be a trigger for trauma, right?

Exactly!! On top of that, mine actually contain.... 

***Trigger Warning****

....tragic deaths and even limb dismemberment .....

But then, I used TW before the chapters and I feel it is okay to not include in the description? My description is already wayyy too long and there is no guidance on what to include in the description.
peolaughing

EnhancedBeing Wrote: There are two definitions given for this tag on the site. 

When you hover over the tag in the edit page bit:
Moral values are present that are questionable by society and might cause a twisted sense of the world or mental trauma in underage or morally unstable people

In the FAQs > FICTIONS > When should I add mature content tags to my story?:
If the fiction in question contains ideas, depictions of themes that are considered questionable by society at large, then the piece should contain the traumatizing content tag. 

Edit: I suppose the point I'm making is that this might be why authors are tagging their work as this. Is it clear enough what is considered to be under these remits? How strict are our mods when it comes to not tagging the material correctly? I think it's always better to be safe than sorry.
If those are the definitions being given, then its no wonder that the tag is so overused.

Llamadragon Wrote: I mean... RR is about fantasy primarily. And Fantasy these days is all about people getting killed left and right. It's so standard in the genre nowadays that I can see why some people don't see the need to tag RR fictions for that, but it's still people dying or animals getting overhunted for levels or spiritual cores or whatever. Most of those stories DO contain traumatizing content, it's just a lot of us live in cultures where we're really desentizised to violence. We don't blink when bandit A gets his head cut off, but it's... still a guy getting his head chopped, someone who probably didn't even have a lot of choices in life and was forced down the hard road by his circumstances. I'd personally never weep over an impersonal character getting offed this way, but it IS a totally fucked scenario. And I can totally see it being traumatized to people who've had to actually deal with stuff like this.

This sounds like the Gore tag. 

NovelNinja Wrote:

This sounds like the Gore tag.
Isn't gore in literature, like... really detailed descriptions of violence and bodily harm? So just a sentence about some guy dying wouldn't be gore, but if you wrote a paragraph on the details...