Re: what is your "big brain" moument in writing?

what is your "big brain" monument in writing?
what i mean, for example, you are stack tiring to fit a plot point that just refuse to fit the plot line for a long time, but then you had a solution how to do it, and you feel it was an amazing solution.

i was having a hard time starting writing here, because i don't have any program to write on that has  VERY good spell checking, and I'm not paying for one, so i write it directly here.
but there is a problem. i only can post one chapter and cant move to start writing the next until the first is approved, and it can take days. and by then i dont feel like writing anymore.
and writing in the thread in the forum to copy past. dont feel the same.

then i had the big brain "big brain" monument. i already had a stab i doubt i continue, so i can use it to write the chapters then copy past them back and forth!

My big moments usually come when I figure out how to tie in plot threads from early on and make them awesome toward the end. A character said something offhandedly, then later on it became super important, or an insignificant item from earlier becomes valuable for an unexpected reason, that kinda thing. Since I'm a pantser and make it all up as I go, it's always a great moment of discovery to see the pieces finally click into place. :)

sunandshadow Wrote: Open Office, Liber Office, and Google Docs are all free writing programs with spelling and some grammar checking.

To piggyback off sunandshadow's point, ProWritingAid is a free spelling, grammar and clarity checker with a google docs plugin, or you can paste your work directly into the desktop app and edit there. I'd also advise you not to write directly into RoyalRoad's editor (or any other website's editor) because it's not a safe place to store your work. Always write in a program that supports online backups, such as google docs, because then your work will be safe if RoyalRoad encounters issues with its servers.

Onto big brain moments, my favourite is when two or more plot threads come together in a more satisfying way than I imagined during the planning phase.

utsuro Wrote: Writing about quantum physics for a whole chapter (see here). Had the biggest big brain moment back when I wrote it. Other times include me planning out some crazy plots and schemes that I'll be writing about somewhere down the line or writing epic fight scenes, space battles and powerful soldiers fighting.

Okay, I'm writing this to address fellow physicists and physics lovers in general. This extends to all branches of science really, and a good example of this is that 'Biologist in a fantasy world' isekai story a while back. That story is a perfect example of going all in on stuff 95% of people cannot understand, but doing great because it went so much deeper than other attempts like it. It's pretty good writing had a part to play into it as well. Going heavy handed on the science which adds little to nothing is the main problem because understanding jargon is hard, more so when all the jargon has more complex words describing it. This can be fun in a closed setting, where the individual parts are deeply intwined in certain aspects, but just dumping loads of science is never a good option. I'm nearing the completion of a bachelors in physics and understood about 3/4 of the science in the above chapter. Not having done general relativity yet is what cuts off that remaining part.

Unless you want to write a textbook, you should address physics like this in small bite-sized chunks. It felt like 1000 words of padding in my eyes, especially since many things which could have been shortened into brief sentences were given full explanations. Explanations a lay-person would not understand, which is a partial sin in modern physics since you want it to be as easy to understand as possible. This is why analogies for quantum effects and particles are so common.

The made up physics can be ignored though. Modifying theories, even credible ones, to fit your narrative is an impressive thing to do. It gives rise to immersion. You just shouldn't go into long expositional rants which most people won't understand regarding the background of it. You know how much quantum physics I've used in my very hard magic story? None, because I can explain concepts like that without having to throw around the quantum or relativistic words.

What's that? Big brain moment... Right, got wrapped up in people using too much science.

As a complete Plantser, I rarely have figured out plans. But most the time my writing just moves in the right direction to connect things together. But in the long term I'm hoping the long-term plot all comes together well, slowly revealing itself.

Bananalloy Wrote: you should address physics like this in small bite-sized chunks.

Bananalloy Wrote: You just shouldn't go into long expositional rants which most people won't understand regarding the background of it.

I see. I might have to go back and shorten it or dumb it down. Though it is for sci-fi readers, if I want to reach a bigger audience, I'll have to write accordingly as well. Thank you for the feedback!

Bananalloy Wrote: because I can explain concepts like that without having to throw around the quantum or relativistic words.

What I am going to try is using String Theory and (magical) quantum fields to explain magic. I feel like if I want to adapt the magic system to the universe in my novel for later plots, I'd want to at least lay the ground work for more things later on.

I want to truly merge the magical and quantum worlds.

My big brain moument was inventing magic irl because my character in my story did that.
Pretty big brain moment if you ask me.
Though my invention of it is theoretical and rather cheap, it is technically correct and definitely possible. I've been using it to turn the light across the street from my house on and off when I get bored. Kinda petty, but all I can really do with it rn. Pretty sure I messed up the wiring accidentally, though...
So, yeah. Big brain moument there. 
And smoll brain moment, too. It's technically messing with public property. Thank god nobody will believe it was caused by magic, or by me.
https%3A%2F%2Fimages-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773...oYehe-EetM

utsuro Wrote:
Bananalloy Wrote: you should address physics like this in small bite-sized chunks.

Bananalloy Wrote: You just shouldn't go into long expositional rants which most people won't understand regarding the background of it.

I see. I might have to go back and shorten it or dumb it down. Though it is for sci-fi readers, if I want to reach a bigger audience, I'll have to write accordingly as well. Thank you for the feedback!

Bananalloy Wrote: because I can explain concepts like that without having to throw around the quantum or relativistic words.

What I am going to try is using String Theory and (magical) quantum fields to explain magic. I feel like if I want to adapt the magic system to the universe in my novel for later plots, I'd want to at least lay the ground work for more things later on.

Don't dumb it down, but do try to deliver it as chunks with something more emotional or interesting to the senses in between.  About quantum magic, have you heard the theory that predicts a new particle heavier than the higgs boson which would be able to interact with the (also theoretical) 5th dimension where dark matter lives, and is probably made out of fermions?  You could totally say this new heavy particle is what living things use to access magic, and concentrations of dark matter are like ley lines and might also contain historical information like imprints of spells.  Or you could use it in whatever other way being able to interact with dark matter might work in your magic system.

My biggest big brain play is overdosing tea and writing at 3 am. I was once writing a sex scene taking place in a pool, and somehow I turned it into wild underwater sex where both characters are trying to shrex the air out of the other in order to win a bet. 

The second big brain play I did was switching Zim text editor that allows me to have multiple writing tabs open and switch between them without using mouse. Cherrytree is also great, but setting up grammar check is pain in the ass on Linux. I also have my own 1 TB mini server set up in home to keep my work, references, and other things in one place. Upkeep costs pennies and it's 100% private

sunandshadow Wrote:
utsuro Wrote:

Don't dumb it down, but do try to deliver it as chunks with something more emotional or interesting to the senses in between.  About quantum magic, have you heard the theory that predicts a new particle heavier than the higgs boson which would be able to interact with the (also theoretical) 5th dimension where dark matter lives, and is probably made out of fermions?  You could totally say this new heavy particle is what living things use to access magic, and concentrations of dark matter are like ley lines and might also contain historical information like imprints of spells.  Or you could use it in whatever other way being able to interact with dark matter might work in your magic system.

That's exactly what I've done! But I've rewritten my 7th chapter to include ALL quantum fields (not just the Higgs) so that it's possible to manipulate every quanta through magic.
Plus, I've tried to explain the concept(s) with more agreeable terms so I think it should help for less knowledgeable readers.

I got a deep love for when a seemingly simple statement turns out to have been true, but in ways that people don't think. Setting up a statement that is taken one way and then has a whole new meaning on a second read.

That and when I write rules for something and then manage to find a great, small loop hole in my own rules to exploit. Because a character can then use the exact same realization if they know the system well enough.