Re: category or tags?

in many sites that have content, you either go searching by category or by tags. but each method has its own problems:

tags - you can search according to what you like, no matter how small.
the problem?  go search anime and see:
top action: naruto
top comedy: naruto
top romance: naruto
top ecchi: naruto
top psychological: naruto

you just cant find actual comedy with all the things the the stories are not actually comedy, just because someone put a tag because a single joke in the story.
and best rated dont rate by how good the comedy, just by how good overall the story.

category - forced to pick only one category, can make it easier to find something that belong to that category, but then anything that dont fit to a category or fit to many, is in a problem. and to little categories just mix up unrelated stuff.
and to many categories, well, i dont know...

my questions:
1)if you have to be force to chose one. what would you pick?
2) if you then have to be forced to pick the other one, to be used on something else, on what will you use it on?
3) also what your opinion on potential 3rd solutions other then this two?

Woah, I haven’t seen Naruto top a list in some time. I think, it tops several popularity lists, but not top-rated. FMA/SnK/Gintama always tops the list in its respective tags on all lists that I’ve seen. (Myanimelist, watch websites, etc)

I would probably choose the category/genre because they tend to be more concise and say what the main genre of the story will be IMO, while tags just add the little extra other stuff that you can find in the story. I’m not sure what a third solution other than combining categories and tags in a search (which many listing sites do) would be. I don’t think there’s a perfect solution because categories/tags/labels can’t capture what a singular story is all about. I just view them as filters. 

CILinkzSpre3 Wrote: maybe make negative tags like search for everything except naruto

Basically you're describing boolean searches

The problem is not enough systems are designed to handle these types of searches, insteading showing you everything with those searches, whether they include both, either, or none (if the word is simply referenced but not actually a part of the topic).

As far as any library of media goes, they should be easy to implement. If I don't want to read harem, it should be easy enough to check harem and everything that is tagged as harem gets taken out of the search. But I don't believe RR has that built into its filters, which would be a shame.

B.A. Wrote:
CILinkzSpre3 Wrote: maybe make negative tags like search for everything except naruto

Basically you're describing boolean searches

The problem is not enough systems are designed to handle these types of searches, insteading showing you everything with those searches, whether they include both, either, or none (if the word is simply referenced but not actually a part of the topic).

As far as any library of media goes, they should be easy to implement. If I don't want to read harem, it should be easy enough to check harem and everything that is tagged as harem gets taken out of the search. But I don't believe RR has that built into its filters, which would be a shame.

RR has that.

There is a lot discussion regarding genres in the scientific community.
Because a) They are arbitrary. There are no rules what makes a comedy a comedy. Is it the intent? Us it the use of jokes? What if nobody finds it funny? 
B) they are most often used as marketing tool aka the vampire section or the fantasy section in a book store.
C) they are used cross medial. Although media is sharing similarities in narratives they are not the same. The (nonexistent) rules change when crossing media. For example the "drama" (or is it space opera, sci-fi, science fantasy or simply fantasy?) Star wars made into a comedy in Shakespearen star wars but not through jokes.

Well, what I'm trying to say is. It doesn't matter if you use tags, genres or categories they will never fit 100% and if people use tropes of other genres they are technically in the right tagging it as a comedy or horror or whatever.