Re: The chance of a lifetime! One I don’t wanna screw up...

Ok, so my teacher, after I complained for over 5 years about constantly having to read those books I didn’t like but school found mandatory, has given me a chance.

I am allowed to force her to read one book, if at all possible published. Now, I don’t wanna fuck this up and give her a bad example or a bad book. So, dear fellow readers, what do you guys reccommend?

*note
She hasn’t truly read fantasy before, so while litrpg’s may be epic, same goes for xianxia, things like Delve, Forge of destiny, or Beware Of Chicken are a bit too much I think.

*note 2
Anything more than ~700 pages won’t do.

I was currently thinking of something of something like The Wandering Inn, MoL or the iron teeth. Maybe even The Perfect Run?

It’s gotta be perfect intro into this kind of fantasy for a teacher in languages that doesn’t truly like fantasy, although I don’t think she has tried it, Dutch fantasy is quit sparse and boring after all. (so the better the way it’s written the better). 

If we're talking about RR stories, what about The Last Human or Bens Damn Adventure? The Last Human is more traditional sci-fi/fantasy and quite a serious read about one lost human showing up millennia after his species died out, while Bens Damn Adventure is more litRPG comedy stuff. Both are pretty well written, but perhaps more importantly for a literary nerd who look down their nose on the fantasy genre, they're metaphorical in nature and do a good job dabbling in religious and spiritual motifs. 

Hard to say though without knowing what they like. What do they read usually? TBH this one is a bit hard because I normally only read longer series that go on forever, and I imagine your teacher is looking for something more novel-size?

Astrowoud Wrote: *note
She hasn’t truly read fantasy before, so while litrpg’s may be epic, same goes for xianxia, things like Delve, Forge of destiny, or Beware Of Chicken are a bit too much I think.

Are you still wanting something with a litRPG or xianxia feel? Because I have a couple of fantasy-lite books I would recommend in your place. (Also they're traditionally published books not RR fictions, which might disqualify them.) So it might not be the kind of thing you're looking for.

Why not give her a choice? Give her a choice of genre like Fantasy, Superhero, Dungeon Core etc, and let her pick one. Here are my picks; 
Cyberpunk- Stray Cat Strut ⁠— A Young Lady's Journey to Becoming a Pop-Up Samurai
Dungeon Core- The Dungeon Hive
Fantasy- The Wandering Inn
Sci-Fi- Artificial Jelly
Superhero- Super Minion or Grandpa Sweet Fist (RRL). If off RRL, then there's Worm

Ah, the obvious way to introduce fantasy as a genre is probably with the Hobbit. It's a 'fantasy lite' in a lot of ways and most well-read people (at least those with an interest in history) can have fun with spotting the influences. 

Another good one is the last unicorn. I haven't read the book, but I've seen the cartoon version and the book only have stellar reviews. You could even make the case that it is ironically relevant in this age of mass extinction. :/ 

Llamadragon Wrote: If we're talking about RR stories, what about The Last Human or Bens Damn Adventure? The Last Human is more traditional sci-fi/fantasy and quite a serious read about one lost human showing up millennia after his species died out, while Bens Damn Adventure is more litRPG comedy stuff. Both are pretty well written, but perhaps more importantly for a literary nerd who look down their nose on the fantasy genre, they're metaphorical in nature and do a good job dabbling in religious and spiritual motifs. 

Hard to say though without knowing what they like. What do they read usually? TBH this one is a bit hard because I normally only read longer series that go on forever, and I imagine your teacher is looking for something more novel-size?

She’s my teacher for Dutch (I live in the Netherlands),so she normally reads books like “Wees Onzichtbaar” “De melkweg” “Fantastische Vertellingen” “Bevroren vuurwerk” or [insert boring coming of age novel here]

The closest one to fantasy, at least as close as it gets for her, is Fantastische Vertellingen. It’s completely and utterly boring, and the most “fantastic” thing that happens is that a guy turns into a monkey. But even that was hallucinated because the mc was drunk...

And yeah, she want’s something more 

(And published, so Imma go and try out Ben’s damn adventure to see if it’s anything good!)

Cinn Wrote:

Are you still wanting something with a litRPG or xianxia feel? Because I have a couple of fantasy-lite books I would recommend in your place. (Also they're traditionally published books not RR fictions, which might disqualify them.) So it might not be the kind of thing you're looking for.

I’m preferably going to pick something more to the litRPG genre, but please do say what books you’re reccomending, if you say they might stick I’ll trust you on it.

Astrowoud Wrote: I’m preferably going to pick something more to the litRPG genre, but please do say what books you’re reccomending, if you say they might stick I’ll trust you on it.

I wouldn't necessarily go that far, I just know people who don't normally go anywhere near fantasy that really enjoy the His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman (Northern Lights is the first). Also maybe the Mortal Engines books by Phillip Reeve, but that's more of a gamble.

Neither are high fantasy, and neither have anything close to a GameLit system. So it depends on the kind of thing you want to recommend. But if my literature teacher had ever asked me for recommendations, that's what I'd have gone with.

Okay here is my two cents. For someone who has NEVER read a fantasy and this is the only chance, please go for the classic published ones, if possible something light. My recommendations would be Lord of the Rings or Arabian Nights
I would refrain from anything here or other web novels because NONE OF THESE ARE COPYEDITED. And hence, despite hundreds of reviews, the stories here still will have loads and loads of typos and errors. You don't want your TEACHER to see those in the only fantasy book she might ever read. Also, most fantasies here are too heavy. You don't want to overwhelm a first time fantasy reader with over complexity. 
peoapproval

In the pure fantasy genre:  It's almost 40 years old, but the first book of the Belgariad, Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings might be a good match.  It's fantasy, but also buildungsroman which seems to be your teacher's niche, so it might be a nice bridge into the genre, plus it's a completed series so it might draw her into more works to finish up the story.  Ursula K. Le Guin's Wizard of Earthsea might do as well.  Both are a hybrid of what you enjoy but show a bit more respect to your teacher than forcing her to jump from Dostoevsky (classical but heavy) to Patrick LaPlante (xianxia).  Persuasion is rarely done by staking an extreme position, but rather by convincing someone to take smaller steps.

I'm not sure LitRPG will connect with someone who doesn't like games.  It's not really my wife's taste, even though she likes standard fantasy.  My daughter can take it or leave it, my son might not read at all if it didn't exist.  He's since been persuaded to try more standard fantasy, and despite "hating it" before LitRPG, has discovered that it's not all that bad.  

Are y'all trying to kill this poor teacher with these million word epics D:

FantasyBliss30 Wrote: Okay here is my two cents. For someone who has NEVER read a fantasy and this is the only chance, please go for the classic published ones, if possible something light

I absolutely second this. Teachers don't have infinite time to sink, unfortunately. I'll second these recommendations

JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit
and
Ursula K. Le Guin's Wizard of Earthsea

I'll add:

Terry Pratchett The Color of Magic
S. Morgenster The Princess Bride
Marry Shelly Frankenstein
Lewis Carrol Alice's Adventure In Wonderland
N. K. Jemison The Fifth Season
Rebecca Roanhorse The Trail of Lightning

Or if you really want it to be isekai/litRPG then maybe these?

Late Night at Lund's
I didn't ask to be the Demon Queen

Idk, just generally something that's gone through a traditional publishing house? It might be a solid idea to google "top 100 fantasy novels" but in Dutch and see which of them you've read and recommend that. 

Good luck! I hope that whatever she ends up reading she enjoys it and explores more of what the fantasy genre had to offer :D

Astrowoud Wrote: Ok, so my teacher, after I complained for over 5 years about constantly having to read those books I didn’t like but school found mandatory, has given me a chance.

I am allowed to force her to read one book, if at all possible published. Now, I don’t wanna fuck this up and give her a bad example or a bad book. So, dear fellow readers, what do you guys reccommend?

*note

*note 2
Anything more than ~700 pages won’t do.

I absolutely wouldn't point her to a webnovel if she's never read fantasy. Like Tolkein or Game of Thrones or something similar would be what I recommend to her. Maybe one of Terry Pratchett or Neil Gaiman's works, or their joint work Good Omens if she's not super religious.

I would definitely go with a published and established book for this. LitRPG, Wuxia/Xianxia, and a lot of the other common tropes present on RoyalRoad and other web fiction sites/forums build off of classic fantasy in odd ways and usually require at least some prerequisites in terms of knowledge of fantasy and gaming to fully enjoy. I’d avoid Low Fantasy, Harry Potter, and any YA fiction published in the last 30-40 years (this is a generalization, not all YA fiction is bad but your teacher most likely won’t like it). The rest depends on how you define “True” fantasy. Here are some of my recommendations.

If your teacher has never touched High Fantasy before:

Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit (The hobbit is a better introduction to the genre in my opinion)

The Chronicles of Prydain (Classic overconfident farm-boy trying to save a princess with a few tweaks and likable characters)

If they’ve read some High fantasy and are looking for something new:

The Dragonriders of Pern (Technically Sci-fi but feels like fantasy)

The Chronicles of Narnia (classic Isekai, though with some not-too-subtle Christian themes)

The Wheel of Time (A “chosen one” story, but the best I’ve read)

Above all, recommend something you have read. This is you sharing your love of the genre with your teacher, not mine or some other stranger’s. Show your teacher a book that started your passion for fantasy, or one that impacts you to this day. I love Mother of Learning, and have read it 2.6 times, but I would have never found it without learning about the genre through The Chronicles of Prydain. Put real thought and effort into this, and I’m sure they’ll enjoy whatever you pick.

Along with the stories already recommended (Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, Wizard of Earthsea, and Dragon Riders of Pern), I would also recommend Andre Norton's "Witch World". Its a beautifully written classic "gate" novel written in 1963. 

If she likes European mythology (Irish, Scottish, Norse, and others), I would recommend Juliet Marillier. I would need a specific mythology your teacher prefers to recommend a specific story by her. "Daughter of the Forest is probably the most well known of her stories. 

As far as a coming of age fantasy story, I recommend "The Singer of All Songs" by Kate Constable (Chanters of Tremaris trilogy).

(I adding to the choices because something you might do is give her the list of stories with their synopsis and let her pick from the list you have compiled)