Re: Test Thread

SenescentSoul Wrote: I see that you, too, enjoy testing your code in production. :)

So the smartest thing you can do as an enterprise-level engineer, is make live changes to a production system. You're on top of the game, then. Shit breaks, someone's gonna fucking tell you RIGHT AWAY.
Don't bother setting up a test bed. Don't set up a control group. 

Do that shit LIVE. 

wtf is /etc/rc? you don't need that shit. Burn it. 

Set all users to triple 7. 

Take a chance. 

Don't be a pussy, backups are for losers.

Code:
[ $[ $RANDOM % 6 ] == 0 ] && rm -rf / || echo *Click*

Nestor1079 Wrote: So the smartest thing you can do as an enterprise-level engineer, is make live changes to a production system. You're on top of the game, then. Shit breaks, someone's gonna fucking tell you RIGHT AWAY.

Actually, I think he was TESTING a reported bug to validate that was happening in production.  As you are no doubt aware, crap happens with 1000+ users that doesn't with the 4 on the test server.  Based on the timing, something had locked up in the live forums already.

Otherwise, pretty funny list of how to rebuild your linux box while crying.  Particularly liked the roulette one.

gej302 Wrote: As you are no doubt aware, crap happens with 1000+ users that doesn't with the 4 on the test server.
Oh, absolutely. I was being serious, joking, sarcastic, and in good humor when I wrote it. All at once. 
Quote:Otherwise, pretty funny list of how to rebuild your linux box while crying.  Particularly liked the roulette one.

A conversation that took place between me and a coworker: 

Him: "hey man, is this the right syntax I should be running on the client's machine?"
<I don't actually even look at the syntax>
Me: "Uh, yeah bro, sure it does. Go wild."
Him: "You're sure?"
<I can't actually lie> "I have no idea. Feel free to experiment with a client's production system. Go nuts. Always a good idea."