Re: The feeling of getting out of a rut...

I had been in a rut of writer's block for months with one of the stories I write. It was so conflicting with me, too, because it was one that was being received so well. That said, something was missing and it was making me stress.

It didn't help that it was a genre I have never written before (Scifi/Cyberpunk). 

After talking to some writing buddies, I sat down and made myself plan the rest of the book. After I did this, I started writing for it again and it feels good. It's fun to write outside my comfort zone.

That said, it is nowhere near perfect, and those early chapters will still make me cringe because I don't like how I set up the story, but that can be fixed with editing later on :) 

What do you guys do to get out of ruts (i.e. Writers Block)? And how good does it make you feel when you do? 

Mostly what I do is I read comics and books or watch movies or TV series in the same genre. I also listen to a ton of different types of music, so eventually I'm bound to hit on something that resonates with me. 

One thing I do that I've mentioned on the forums before, is I'll watch a scene from a movie and ask myself, "How would I write this scene?" 
How would I describe the character's actions/ feelings/ motivations in this scene?
How would I capture the ambiance? 
What words would I use to describe what's going on? 

Then I'll sit down and try and write the scene out, and see if it carries the same impact. 
If it does, I'm good. 
If it doesn't, what do I need to change so that it does? 

Sometimes when I am experiencing writers block and can't move forward with my writing but I want to work on the same piece, I try writing a different chapter/scene I have the motivation to write. For example, if I am stuck on finishing chapter two, but I know that somewhere down the line I want my characters to fight an enemy AND I have a pretty clear vision on how that is going to happen, then I will just skip and write it. Eventually, the creative juices start flowing again and I feel more motivated to join my current chapter with what I've just written.

Briizy Wrote: What do you guys do to get out of ruts (i.e. Writers Block)? And how good does it make you feel when you do?

For me, and I assume it's like this with most people, but they don't know it, writing block is about the critical voice inside our heads. Writing fiction is a creative endeavor, not a critical process endeavor. When we turn it into a critical thinking process, it becomes scary, or boring, so we tend to stay away.

What I do is convince myself that I don't care about the story. I just want to have some fun. And so I do.