Re: Why can't authors fully delete chapters?

If a mod or someone else could answer, please do!

This is partially a Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V from the Suggestions/Feedback site.

Normally, when an author 'deletes' a chapter, RoyalRoad simply hides it from readers while the author can still see it in their Contents panel for whichever fiction they write. Even the colour of the chapter turns red! Just leaving deleted chapters sit there is a waste of space and may end up becoming a nuisance.

Why is it that authors can't fully delete chapters?
If it's not feasible, I'd appreciate being told why it won't work out.

Here's the full suggestion if you wanna read:
Hewwo there!!
I've just been wondering if it's possible to fully delete chapters instead of just hiding them from readers?
Normally, when an author 'deletes' a chapter, RoyalRoad simply hides it from readers while the author can still see it in their Contents panel for whichever fiction they write. Even the colour of the chapter turns red! Just leaving deleted chapters sit there is a waste of space and may end up becoming a nuisance.
It'd be fine to keep the current system (like the time of the chapter being released and its position on the Latest Updates to prevent abuse of the system), but if RoyalRoad were to implement a way to choose a further option, after 'deleting' a chapter to permanently erase the chapter from their databases - or even add a literal Trash Bin for chapters, it'd be quite helpful for the authors of RoyalRoad.
If it's not feasible, I'd appreciate being told why it won't work out. I am relatively new here so if there's been a past instance of a suggestion like mine, then I apologise for bringing this up. As of writing, it's just I haven't seen anyone suggest this from earlier on unless it's been removed or suggested a long time ago.
Heck, I'm surprised how this HASN'T been added as a feature... 🤣🤣🤣

Thanks for reading!

Re: Why can't author's fully delete chapters?

Because completely removing a chapter messes with the database. In lots of sites like this, when you delete a chapter, it still exists, but you can't see it.

Unlike other sites, however, contacting the admin and owners of RR is easy. People who understand how websites work will delete a chapter and then harass them to restore it. It's less pain to them to simply show it on the author dashboard.

Yeah, I noticed the 'hide all deleted chapters' button yesterday but it kinda nags my mind when I know there are chapters that can't be deleted entirely. I still think it'd be better if the chapters could be permanently erased...

RR won't have to keep redundant chapters on their database as well. Oh well, I do see the merit of just leaving it hidden. Thanks for your responses!

TL;DR: Free site, ad supported, has to optimize for expense, and this is a balance of convenience and putting the work on the responsible party, the deleter.

As an admin of medium size (90G) database, I've had to go restore stuff deleted by mistake.  It's much, much, much harder than not letting people delete.  Especially if they come back significantly later. So, here's the thought process I have on it:
  1. Text is tiny by storage standards.  Text can be compressed/uncompressed easily and quickly.
  2. Disk space is really cheap these days.  
  3. One DVD (9G) of text is around 1.5B words. One Blu-ray (25G) is about 4B words. Modern SSDs come in at 2000G for a few hundred dollars.
  4. Trained personnel are NOT cheap, there's always something to do, and only so much time.  
  5. Self-service time is cheap (for the company).