Re: What is better, Mass releasing like 50 chapters at once or a chapter a day?

So I've decided to post my book on RR and thus wanted to know what would be better for the demographic of this site. I have over 250 chapters as of now, of which I'm gonna be posting the free chapters here. So I wonder what is better? Should I post all of the free chapters at once, or should I post a couple of chapters daily till I reach the end?

GrandVoidDaoist Wrote:
SJ Wrote: Never mass release.

NEVER MASS RELEASE.

A chapter a day is good.
the thing is I'm only gonna be posting a limited amount of chapters, that is the free chapters and not beyond that. So those are the only chapters that will be available on RR.
Could you explain more about this strategy of only making a limited number of chapters available for free? It implies there are some that aren't free, so where would one get those?

Genuinely interested, because I don't remember anyone successfully having only a limited bunch of chapters on this site and then later chapters all behind a paywall.

Zogarth Wrote:
GrandVoidDaoist Wrote:
SJ Wrote: Never mass release.

NEVER MASS RELEASE.

A chapter a day is good.
the thing is I'm only gonna be posting a limited amount of chapters, that is the free chapters and not beyond that. So those are the only chapters that will be available on RR.
Could you explain more about this strategy of only making a limited number of chapters available for free? It implies there are some that aren't free, so where would one get those?

Genuinely interested, because I don't remember anyone successfully having only a limited bunch of chapters on this site and then later chapters all behind a paywall.
The rest of the chapters are available on Webnovel. 

CoCop Wrote:
GrandVoidDaoist Wrote: The rest of the chapters are available on Webnovel.

... I would advise you that this is a bad idea, but people have already advised you not to mass drop and you're doing it anyway, 

so I'll just leave it at "good luck."
Oh, they've been on Webnovel for months. I only posted the starting few chapters so that people can get an idea about it. Also, I'm gonna follow your advice and post a chapter a day here from now on.

Been watching trending for a while and a novel never seems to make it in until day 14. Also there is some weird oddities that novels that clearly have better stats like beware of chicken are not at the top. This leads me to believe that if you have explosive growth around day 13-14 you will most likely be able to get into trending. 

To clarify a novel that has low views/followers/ratings all of a sudden gaining a ton of those on day 13-14 will have more weight then a high view/follower/rating novel gaining it's normal amount each day.

I could be completely wrong about this, but it seems like it could be the case. If you absolutely want to mass release my only recommendation is to do it around day 13-14.

Trending isn't based on followers but ratings growth. Beware of Chicken was a 'victim' of its own success. Because it got popular so quickly, its ratings growth wasn't high.

An example:
Book1 - 1 rating the first day,  10 ratings the second day, 100 ratings the third day.
Book 2 - 100 ratings the first day, 150 ratings the second day, 200 ratings the third day.

At 14 days, Book 2 will start at the top of trending while Book 1 is below it. Then Book 1 will rise while Book 2 drops. It might be getting more total ratings while but the growth of Book 1s ratings is much higher.

In regards to your proposed strategy, the authors figured out that they could tell their readers not to rate at all when their book was first released and then rate all at once when they were eligible for trending. This allowed fictions that wouldn't have 'naturally' ended up on trending to take over the front page. Kana, the admin, considered it an exploit and changed the system to make it harder to game.

I really don't know if that is the case. My novel shot up into trending randomly with only gaining views/followers and no rankings at all. I was sitting around 51-53th place for roughly 3 days then randomly went up to 47th. I guess it's entirely possible that those novels went down, but that just seems weird to me.

Also the trending algorithm was changed late last year so I believe the information you are using is outdated.

Either way were both kinda saying the same thing. It's based on growth, so mass releasing is going to go against you.

Shadowmail Wrote: I really don't know if that is the case. My novel shot up into trending randomly with only gaining views/followers and no rankings at all. Also the trending algorithm was changed late last year so I believe the information you are using is outdated.

You have 40 ratings on your fiction and three reviews. You have obviously gained ratings.

That said, you could be right and views or followers are now included in the algorithm.

Localforeigner Wrote: Yeah, posting daily or every other day is the key to gaining attention.

Also, I would double check the Ts and Cs of RR. What you are proposing may be a violation of the rules and get your story kicked.
I'm 99% sure there is nothing there that breaks the rules, in any shape. As long as it's not stolen work, you can post it and stop posting whenever you want, or even delete it. Linking to webnovel is the same as linking to Amazon, it's fine, right? 

And, regarding posting it all at once, I really don't think it's such a huge deal... Hear me out, when you open a fiction with 2 chapters posted, how likely are you to read it, lol? Maybe by posting a chapter a day you get more exposure to viewers, but those viewers also give you less Views, and are less likely to actually read your story (which brings follows, ratings, reviews, etc.) If you instead dump some chapters and start posting regularly afterwards, more readers will actually open your Chapter 1, no? 

Maybe this is based on my personal assumption that I don't really want to start reading if there's next to nothing to read. But it sounds like it applies in general. And, if there is such a thing as an "optimal" posting schedule or whatever, the probability that it goes like "Post 1 chapter a day or you DIE" is so low... I don't believe this "mathematical problem" has been "solved", by any means. It's good advice, but it sounds to me like people are preaching it a bit too much. Surely it's not the only strategy that can work.

rook-iv Wrote: I made the mistake of posting 8-9 5000 word chapters at once, and got very few views.

Since then, I've been posting one of those a day and that seems to have gotten me onto trending. :D
well I appreciate it since I binged the whole story and it was great. So I think releasing a bunch of chapters and then releasing on a steady schedule is the best of both worlds. it lets people get into your stories and then look forward to what comes next. Pls keep writing more galactic economics.