A "Need to know" guide, what are the rules of Royal Road?

It's strange to ask this, I'm not a newbie, but I thought that it might help a bit.

So, to start off.

Some of the rules on RR are hazy and unclear for a few people. I've been seeing a lot of that going around.

I think a good idea would be to specify certain aspects of different rules for experienced users, but that isn't what I'm worried about right now. That's not to say it's useless info. 

I want to make sure everyone knows what Royal Road is. It's pretty laid back and friendly, yes. But it does still have rules.

For example, in that deleted post about the guy who got banned. There was a clear lack of knowledge pertaining to RR's rules. And, no. Not just in one person. That's why I'm making this post. 

There is a spreading of incorrect information. It isn't on purpose, but still. It baffles me that people talk about rules without at least looking them up in the FAQ. There are also pinned threads on most of the forum categories which explain the rules of that forum. You can find pinned threads above the other posts in the forum.

And, yes, RR has both a FAQ and different places to read up on the rules. Shocking isn't it. I'm going to sadly guess that a lot of people probably haven't spared more than a glance. Now, I'm glad that there are a lot of people that actually have read the rules. And a lot of people who know what's going on.
There are many threads that have been posted to question exactly how a specific rule in RR works. Usually, those come up after someone has spent quite a bit of time trying to figure something out. But there are some rules people who are new should absolutely be aware of.
What rules would someone who is new to RR absolutely need to know?
This can also encompass problems such as posting in the wrong forums. People oft post an introduction thread in general, for example.
(This is so people aren't stabbed in the back by their own stupidity later, or make an unintentional mistake. Some of the suggestions or information might even be of help to older users, too.)

Now, I do want to ask those who are more experienced with RR for some suggestions or answers, but I will at least provide some help myself.
If you want to read the FAQ, go here:
https://www.royalroad.com/support/faq
There are also support tickets that you can submit for assistance, but those also have rules of their own.
If you aren't 100% new, and you have suggestions, there is actually a section that you can use to post your own suggestions for RR. However, you can also ask questions there. There's also the assistance request- oh wait. This is assistance request. Anyway, here. Feedback section:
https://feedback.royalroad.com/s1-general/ideas
(I'd say one of the most popular questions on the site has to do with a Royal Road mobile app. If you are curious about that, though, it's currently delayed indefinitely.) 
Also, this is from the FAQ, but it is a good suggestion for this post as well.
 I have questions that are not answered here, what should I do?

You can ask the community on the Forums
If you believe that only the staff can answer your question, you can open a Support Ticket 
You can also ask on the feedback platform Royal Road Feedback 

Anyway, I'd rank the importance of a rule from how harsh the punishment is for breaking it. Not from inconvenience. 
Again, I would hope that people would read the rules and the FAQ, but it might not even cross some people's minds. 
"If they haven't read the FAQ or the rules threads, what makes you think they'll read this?" You ask?
Hope.
I want people to better themselves as much as possible.
I do know, however, that posting this can only help. Even if it is slightly redundant.
Anyway, I'm also hoping to learn something new from this myself.
Best wishes to all,
Lime
https%3A%2F%2Fi.gifer.com%2F98KL.gif 

Major rules

Major Rules of Royal Road
If you read nothing else in the help pages, read this and avoid getting in trouble on Royal Road. Some of these rules are repeated in other sections of the help pages they pertain to, but we've gathered all of the rules in one place for you to keep in mind.
  1. Hate speech and pedophilia of any kind are prohibited in all areas of the site, including within fictions that have mature tags.
  2. Manipulating fiction scores and rankings is strictly prohibited. This includes but is not limited to, creating alternate accounts to rate multiple times and trading high ratings with other users.
  3. Insulting and attacking other users is not allowed. You can disagree, but be polite and civil.
  4. Plagiarism is not allowed. If you are writing a fanfiction, make sure it is appropriately tagged and give credit to whoever created the original story. If you have already published your fiction elsewhere and are moving to Royal Road, please follow the instructions on our Migrating From Another Site page.
  5. No spam. This includes links to other sites for no reason, nonsense posts, and repeat posts in multiple forums.
  6. Political and religious discussions are not allowed anywhere on the site. It just creates too many ill feelings, and our site is not the place to argue about these topics.
  7. Profanity and sexual content. Avoid using profanity and sexually explicit language unless your Fiction is tagged with the warning. Even then, the content must be within appropriate limits. Read up on the rules regarding Mature Content.
  8. No derogatory English. This is a website dedicated to writing, and as such we want to uphold our users to a certain quality and allow them to improve. However, when someone uses derogatory English [writ lik dis] they are purposely trying to worsen the quality which is the opposite of what we wish (which is for our users to improve). Therefore if anyone uses derogatory English, their posts will be considered as spam/trolling and will be addressed accordingly.
If you see any content that violates these rules, please report it by clicking the appropriate [Report] button beside the post, comment, or fiction.

This is very important.

Also, the reason I posted this in assistance request is because this is somewhere a lot of people go if they need, you guessed it, assistance.

Migrating from another site

A continuation for certain parts.

Rules Wrote: If you have already published your fiction elsewhere and are moving to Royal Road, please follow the instructions on our Migrating From Another Site page.

Migrating From Another Site

Requiring proof of ownership is Royal Road's method of preventing cases of plagiarism.
If your story is available somewhere else, you can prove ownership in multiple ways.
Example:
You can edit the Fiction or Author description on the other site(s) to say you're posting on RoyalRoad.com (or something to the same effect), and then open a support ticket with the link to where you edited that in.
Or, if your email address is public on the other site(s), you can link where it is and we'll confirm if it is the same as the email address you've verified here.

Whatever method you use, once you have proof, link or attach it to a support ticket after you submit the story. 
Note that due to cases of people editing images to plagiarize stories under the guise of being the original author, image proof is no longer accepted.

Rules: Discussions

Rules Wrote: Political and religious discussions are not allowed anywhere on the site. It just creates too many ill feelings, and our site is not the place to argue about these topics.

This might make you question a few of the threads on the site, specifically in the debate section of the forums. From what I've gathered, it's tolerated as long as it's civil and not too extreme of a topic.

For example, mentioning or talking about god isn't disallowed. Even if that can be considered religious.

If there is anyone who knows more on this subject, please let me know.

Example:
https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/106867

Alts

Lime_Lover Wrote: Anyway, I'd rank the importance of a rule from how harsh the punishment is for breaking it. Not from inconvenience.

I do want to talk about this.

There are a few things people seem to mistake as a bannable offense as well. 
In some cases that isn't true.
For example, a lot of people talk about alts(alternate accounts) ranging from being punishable to a downright bannable offense.
Here's a response to that, though:
Can I have more than one account on Royal Road?

Yes, as long as you do not use them for vote manipulation or for breaking any of our rules and policies. Disrespecting this will result in disciplinary measures against all accounts.

I have touched on that in other posts, though. I thought it would be a good idea to post here nonetheless.

Re: A "Need to know" guide, what are the rules of Royal Road?

I can't *prove* it, but based on reading several stories where the gods are in conflict and the stories are popular (like He Who Fights With Monsters) I would conclude:

Inside your story for politics and religion seems fine, since that's not a discussion, and it's not real world.  You can have your gods argue over whatever... that's a clear source of conflict in many other fantasy stories as well.

Your situation may be different if you are taking real world people and having them do different things than they did.  There's some protection for that, but there's the chance that someone comes after you for defamation, even if it's fiction.  Strongly recommend you change names.

Re: A "Need to know" guide, what are the rules of Royal Road?

Celestial Wrote: Oh, I see. Thank you. 

I should definitely change them, just to be safe.

FWIW Name change will go a long way, but name change alone may be insufficient.  IF your characters have sufficiently different backgrounds, and/or are dead figures, your risk decreases.

more info if you want:
http://www.dmlp.org/blog/2010/when-art-imitates-life-suing-defamation-fiction