Re: How would you pronounce this name?

Liz-el 

Interesting side note, Fleming was originally going to call Dr No, The Wound Man, after the medical drawing, but changed it because it can read two ways, like hurt, and tightly wound

I'm really bad with names, I finally found a surname for my lead that I liked and had to change it because there's some rapper named Drake. You kids and your music! Changed it to Blake, generating the unfortunate problem of him now having the initials JB, like James Bond, Jack Bauer, Jason Bourne, so I'm hoping no one notices

I have a new level of respect for books written pre find and replace 

Not going to lie, I would have pronounced it wrong. I went straight for Liesl (like from The Sound of Music). But if that's the name you like, then I say stick with your guns. 

You could always write a fun interaction with someone in your story where Lisle corrects (or chides) someone for pronouncing it wrong, or has an inward monologue about how people don't pronounce their name correctly sometimes. It would  help you show your audience how to pronounce it while giving a nod to those readers that may be pronouncing it wrong too.

Just a thought. 

DerpyBunny2020 Wrote: Not going to lie, I would have pronounced it wrong. I went straight for Liesl (like from The Sound of Music). But if that's the name you like, then I say stick with your guns. 

You could always write a fun interaction with someone in your story where Lisle corrects (or chides) someone for pronouncing it wrong, or has an inward monologue about how people don't pronounce their name correctly sometimes. It would  help you show your audience how to pronounce it while giving a nod to those readers that may be pronouncing it wrong too.

Just a thought.
Thanks for the advice. It would only work in a setting where the language is an exact copy of English though. Otherwise it'd be spelled unambiguously. My story is set in a fantasy world, with its own languages, so I don't think this trick applies :c