Re: The Fancy Pants Kids of RoyalRoad

Hmm. You guys play video games?

There's a debate that I always love getting into, both because of my set-in-stone position and the fact that whenever I state it, there's always like seven or eight people who start arguing against me.

It's who would win in Fallout: New Vegas if the protaganist didn't get back up from being shot at the beginning.

New California Republic (NCR)

or 

Ceasar's Legion (Legion)

I think it should be obvious that the NCR should win, but the majority opinion is that not only would it be the NCR's Iraq, but it would be an Iraq that America shares a border with and is further invaded from.

There's like, dozens of talking points, but I won't be getting into those.

There's one that been bugging me though. I've seen dozens of people, and more than a few youtubers say that the NCR's soldiers are pitifully weaker than the Legion's soldiers. Like, it takes dozens of soldiers to take on one of the Legion.

But that's... entirely untrue. Pound for pound, an NCR trooper can take on any Legion soldier of corresponding rank 9/10 times.

It reflects that fact that the Legion's people are a bunch of idiots who worship rome and wear football gear probably high on paint thinner or something, while the NCR's troopers are actual soilders with ballistic armor, fully automatic weapons, and a larger tech advantage than the USA had over actual Iraq. The terrorists had guns and radios, at the very least.

Honestly, I thought it was pretty obvious that Ceasar could only play in the same ball park as the NCR was a large combination of subterfuge, guerilla warfare, and incompetent leadership on the NCR's part.

That was literally baked into the plot of the game, when you look at the missions you have to do for each faction.

You guys have any thoughts?

Litrpg101 Wrote: You guys have any thoughts?

logistics for an attacking force in fallout have to be horrible. Pretty much every attack is like trying to move through siberia. You need supply lines for your supply lines. Adverse weather conditions, unstable ground for transportation, lack of access to fuel and energy and local food or forage... the attacking army almost always loses. not to mention contending against local guerilla groups like bandits and wildlife like deathclaws!

Litrpg101 Wrote: Hmm. You guys play video games?

There's a debate that I always love getting into, both because of my set-in-stone position and the fact that whenever I state it, there's always like seven or eight people who start arguing against me.

It's who would win in Fallout: New Vegas if the protaganist didn't get back up from being shot at the beginning.

or 

Ceasar's Legion (Legion)

I think it should be obvious that the NCR should win, but the majority opinion is that not only would it be the NCR's Iraq, but it would be an Iraq that America shares a border with and is further invaded from.

There's one that been bugging me though. I've seen dozens of people, and more than a few youtubers say that the NCR's soldiers are pitifully weaker than the Legion's soldiers. Like, it takes dozens of soldiers to take on one of the Legion.

But that's... entirely untrue. Pound for pound, an NCR trooper can take on any Legion soldier of corresponding rank 9/10 times.

It reflects that fact that the Legion's people are a bunch of idiots who worship rome and wear football gear probably high on paint thinner or something, while the NCR's troopers are actual soilders with ballistic armor, fully automatic weapons, and a larger tech advantage than the USA had over actual Iraq. The terrorists had guns and radios, at the very least.

Honestly, I thought it was pretty obvious that Ceasar could only play in the same ball park as the NCR was a large combination of subterfuge, guerilla warfare, and incompetent leadership on the NCR's part.

That was literally baked into the plot of the game, when you look at the missions you have to do for each faction.

I've thought about this one a lot. I think Legion would have taken the dam eventually, or kept sapping NCR's mismanaged resources. The Brahmin Baron didn't care for the war, but eventually, the Legion will subdivide into feudal states when Caesar dies. 

Then it'd be like medieval china, the NCR would stop engaging them and turn inward. Personally, I just don't think in the long run the NCR is a sustainable government system in post-apocalyptic waste. New threats emerge constantly that were buried away and their delay in coordination with the bureaucracy is not enough to adapt and survive when something of an outside issue emerges. 

The legion, aside from the singular reliance on a leader without an heir, had the advantage of horrible and oppressive leadership that could adapt quickly to new situations. They were more survivable long term, if there's been some actual way to pass power and stabilize afterward, well, if they'd have adapted to tech more. That sort of brutal leadership makes them more able to survive in a brutal world. 

Though, I think the NCR would move on and survive, but probably not as a democracy. It's hard to say what would spawn from the infighting left behind in the legion, and if that'd come back as an even more dangerous threat for the NCR- say if a legate took over, and adapted to more modern techniques and medicines. 

Just my two cents.

Personally, my favorite lore in the gang deals with the brotherhood. They're sort of the iconic 'fallout' to me. How do you think they compare to those factions? Especially when Arthur rolls up to the commonwealth. 

Litrpg101 Wrote: Hmm. You guys play video games?

or 

Ceasar's Legion (Legion)

Because of how stuff works for the NCR government, I could see them losing the dam and pulling back out of the area for a good while. Just holding there border with the legion until Ceaser dies and it all falls apart. Then they might push back in and take it over again.

Yes the well trained troops of the NCR are as good or better then the legions. But you have to think for story lines, a lot of the troops they were sending were barely trained and wet behind the ears. Where in the legions men were pretty much trained from birth to be fighters. Yes they didn't really use tech, but they were breeding faster then NCR and putting younger warriors out, who are already blooded.

Zach Wrote: I've thought about this one a lot. I think Legion would have taken the dam eventually, or kept sapping NCR's mismanaged resources. The Brahmin Baron didn't care for the war, but eventually, the Legion will subdivide into feudal states when Caesar dies. 

Then it'd be like medieval china, the NCR would stop engaging them and turn inward. Personally, I just don't think in the long run the NCR is a sustainable government system in post-apocalyptic waste. New threats emerge constantly that were buried away and their delay in coordination with the bureaucracy is not enough to adapt and survive when something of an outside issue emerges. 

The legion, aside from the singular reliance on a leader without an heir, had the advantage of horrible and oppressive leadership that could adapt quickly to new situations. They were more survivable long term, if there's been some actual way to pass power and stabilize afterward, well, if they'd have adapted to tech more. That sort of brutal leadership makes them more able to survive in a brutal world. 

Though, I think the NCR would move on and survive, but probably not as a democracy. It's hard to say what would spawn from the infighting left behind in the legion, and if that'd come back as an even more dangerous threat for the NCR- say if a legate took over, and adapted to more modern techniques and medicines. 

Just my two cents.

Personally, my favorite lore in the gang deals with the brotherhood. They're sort of the iconic 'fallout' to me. How do you think they compare to those factions? Especially when Arthur rolls up to the commonwealth.
Honestly I always kinda liked BoS and I feel that what they did in FO3 was actually pretty good. But when New Vegas came out I was slightly bummed with them and killed them off for House.

FO4 was okay, but I sided with The Institute. So they had to go. That and their dogma was just to much for me. While The Institute does some really questionable things, they are the best option for helping rebuild the world at least IMHO.

pewpewcachoo Wrote:
Zach Wrote: I've thought about this one a lot. I think Legion would have taken the dam eventually, or kept sapping NCR's mismanaged resources. The Brahmin Baron didn't care for the war, but eventually, the Legion will subdivide into feudal states when Caesar dies. 

Just my two cents.

Honestly I always kinda liked BoS and I feel that what they did in FO3 was actually pretty good. But when New Vegas came out I was slightly bummed with them and killed them off for House.

FO4 was okay, but I sided with The Institute. So they had to go. That and their dogma was just to much for me. While The Institute does some really questionable things, they are the best option for helping rebuild the world at least IMHO.

Sob... Sob...

I was playing a runthrough of FNV where I tried to recruit all possible allies to the NCR's side, and I almost got it, but there was a bug!

If you do the missions in the wrong order, the dialog box to offer the brotherhood to join the NCR at Hoover Dam doesn't show up! Which makes the only way to progress the storyline be betraying one or both of them!

The NCR forced me to kill the Brotherhood! They where my freinds! And it was made worse because those stupidly op turrents kept killing me! What takes save scumming until you manage to land five nukes to kill?!

peocrying peocrying peodead

And before you say anything, I was playing on console, so I couldn't use a command to fix the bug...

DrakanSigh