Re: The Fancy Pants Kids of RoyalRoad

Luke Wrote:
DrBuller Wrote:
Litrpg101 Wrote: I don't see what the problem with them is. I've read plenty of great works that were fanfics, sometimes it's just nice to be a part of a larger universe.
HPMOR
I have no idea if you’re using it as an example of Litrpg101’s point, or as a counterexample, because that book definitely has its ups and downs.
Yeah... character flaws were kinda obvious but it is overall one of the best fanfics I've ever read.

DrBuller Wrote:
Luke Wrote:
DrBuller Wrote:
Litrpg101 Wrote: I don't see what the problem with them is. I've read plenty of great works that were fanfics, sometimes it's just nice to be a part of a larger universe.
HPMOR
I have no idea if you’re using it as an example of Litrpg101’s point, or as a counterexample, because that book definitely has its ups and downs.
Yeah... character flaws were kinda obvious but it is overall one of the best fanfics I've ever read.
And one I just had to google 😂 I still haven't read the actual Harry Potter books because at the age everyone was reading them, I was reading adult novels and just couldn't get a taste for them. At least I wasn't reading grimdark back then 🤷‍♂️

Jack0fheart Wrote:
DrBuller Wrote:
Luke Wrote:
DrBuller Wrote:
HPMOR
And one I just had to google 😂 I still haven't read the actual Harry Potter books because at the age everyone was reading them, I was reading adult novels and just couldn't get a taste for them. At least I wasn't reading grimdark back then 🤷‍♂️

Oh right... You weren't here when everyone was talking about it!

Those trying to increase their review up-votes score, might try to write a review for https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/48346/a-girl-and-her-food It does not yet have a review despite having 78 pages in 12 chapters. I think it is also not the easiest story to write a review for (otherwise I might do it myself), though that only increases the chances to get review up-votes...

If you are not so much for the up-votes but for the challenge, then properly describing https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/47434/apocalypse-parenting might be something to try. It's just an light-hearted chipper tone and quite the enjoying read, unless you think about it or try to summarize it...

Jack0fheart Wrote:
eric_river Wrote:
i think the will just stop posting word count from next year
randomizing winners in the list where they appear
that way people won't feel the need to cheat at the game
their chances of being top of the list will be the same

shuffling the list every time you click it would be good
maybe a genre divided listing if they could
maybe they could send more notifications as well
in the end though, just write stories that you like to tell

DrakanPopcorn
The list never really gains exposure anyway, I've seen previous winners who were listed with still less than 20 followers. Either very bad luck or terrible writing, considering how many chapters they would have released. 55k words uploaded in a month should be enough for 100+ followers even without the writathon...

I certainly won't read a fiction just because it's long.  I have a few very targeted searches that I browse occasionally, including one to pick up new fictions in subgenres I like (though I usually wait until they have at least 80 pages of content before reading).

DrBuller Wrote:
Jack0fheart Wrote:
eric_river Wrote:
i keep on getting one star ratings, isn't that quite weird?
i thought zero point five was the norm when trolls appeared
peoconfused
1s are more common, 0.5s will often be deleted, 1.5 star is the rarest. I only had around 2 on a story with 170+ ratings
My ratings are now more varied than any other story ive had
You are also on the front page of the site.

eric_river Wrote:
peoconfused
Good people of Royal road,

It is time for war to eclipse this road.
For some fools have snuck in,
and made this into an inn,
for trolls and the like,
to rate their dislike,
on this song most fair!

To war I say!
Call them out in the comments all the way!
Review the book and downvote their reviews away!
To war! To war! To war!

Verlin Wrote:
eric_river Wrote:
peoconfused
Good people of Royal road,

It is time for war to eclipse this road.
For some fools have snuck in,
and made this into an inn,
for trolls and the like,
to rate their dislike,
on this song most fair!

To war I say!
Call them out in the comments all the way!
Review the book and downvote their reviews away!
To war! To war! To war!
To arms!  Drakanflip
Listen hard, and listen well to what he has to say, for it is our duty to defend the song we adore, nay worship.

We will, no, cannot turn a blind eye on these atrocities. 

Know full well that, you have my support.

eric_river Wrote:
lol, i do appreciate the sentiment for sure
just be careful to keep all of the intentions pure
i fear the effects of wars for ratings or reviews
i foresee that being a fight most of us would lose :P
Worry not, our bardic friend
If you really want, our fight can end
Although, it hasn’t yet begun
Your poetic words do so stun
While, our grievances are not gone
We shall no longer fight til the break of dawn

Jack0fheart Wrote:
I only enjoy official versions of things. No matter how good a fanfic is, if it isn't canon, it physically pains me. I'm the same with private servers on MMOs. Plus, I consider it a waste of effort and a good story to write in something that doesn't even belong to them at the end of the day. How hard is it to just change the names of everything and just use the original work as heavy inspiration? I just can't wrap my head around them 😂
it's just the difference between plagiarism and fanfic... quite different.
For me, the issue with fanfic is that it's not really engaging for people that don't know the original fiction... unless a lot more is explained /introduced than in most fanfics... HPMOR does it well (or one here on HP).. but then, I'm not a good judge of that because I read HP (while I was a full fledged adult... it's still refreshing to read kid-litterature while being adult).

on the other hand, I could never start a Pokemon Fanfic... I never saw those cartoons/movies not played the games (already in high school when it launched, and I was more into grimer/more profund/more strange/ adult-level things and hard Scifi...)  So I don't know the lore... and while the fanfics seem good, I can't get the appeal. (and "capture-and-enslave-all-the-cute-critters" is not a appealing plot design for me)

pewpewcachoo Wrote: Hey all, i have a question. I am in the process of finishing a new chapter and i am ending it with a bit of a joke. But i am not sure if it would be considered sexual... Anyone wanna give it a look over and let me know if it crosses the line? Honestly it mostly sexual innuendo. I think it is fine, but it's always nice for a second opinion.

I'd love to help...
but I wouldn't be great : almost anything is fine by me. (being from not-US, I don't have the necessary 'murican hair-raising to know if it can go through or not).

the only criterion I could give you is "is it too steamy to give to my 11 yo" ... 

(but then, there are many stories here and elswere that are too grim or too gory to give to any 11 yo... and those would never get a PG13 warning under the US puritanism rules)