Re: The Fancy Pants Kids of RoyalRoad

Nestor1079 Wrote:
MarikoRawralton Wrote: But then I realized that no one really cares.
I know the feeling.

You're excavatingpart of your soul, you know, really digging deep, putting all of your efforts into making this great beautiful thing that you can be proud of because it's 100% your hard work, blood, sweat, tears, etc.
...but nobody actually cares.
I get you.
I feel as long as one person enjoys what i am writing, it's not a waste of my time. For the longest time i thought people would hate what i wrote or just not read it at all. So i never posted. I still wrote and improved myself, but just never posted. This writathon has made me feel pretty good, about all the time i spent writing. The handful of people reading the garbage i write makes me feel good. peoblush

pewpewcachoo Wrote: I feel as long as one person enjoys what i am writing, it's not a waste of my time.
For me it's just a satisfaction gained from publishing. I've already put my all into writing. The emotional catharsis comes from "it's done! it's actually complete! I managed to put it all together in a way that doesn't suck!"

I'm friends with a large number of people who invariably invoke this scenario:
[Them]: so what do you do for fun? 
[Me]: I write fantasy fiction 
[Them]: ooh that's awesome/ cool/ interesting, I should read it sometime. 
[Me]: well, you know where to find it. 
<Meanwhile the reader count doesn't go up>

On a visceral level it sucks; on a realistic level I understand how I write in a specific genre and how that genre isn't for everyone. As long as I'm satisfied, I don't lose sleep over low popularity. 

Hey, do you guys think this is a good novel? Or at least a good start to a novel? There's only 7k words and three chapters.

I think it's a good read, but that might be only because it's promising to gave alot of things I like. Stuff like fantasy politics, magic, and war. No idea if it's going to deliver that though... When you're this early, you don't even know if they're going to continue to upload...

Litrpg101 Wrote: Hey, do you guys think this is a good novel? Or at least a good start to a novel? There's only 7k words and three chapters.

I think it's a good read, but that might be only because it's promising to gave alot of things I like. Stuff like fantasy politics, magic, and war. No idea if it's going to deliver that though... When you're this early, you don't even know if they're going to continue to upload...
Seems fun, send them my way for a cover if they stick around 😜

Nestor1079 Wrote:
MarikoRawralton Wrote: But then I realized that no one really cares.
I know the feeling.

You're excavatingpart of your soul, you know, really digging deep, putting all of your efforts into making this great beautiful thing that you can be proud of because it's 100% your hard work, blood, sweat, tears, etc.
...but nobody actually cares.
I get you.
While I can’t say I’ve experienced this feeling, I can say I understand. Hopefully both of your audiences grow, having more people caring about your stories. I, for one, will try both of your stories. They might not be my cup of tea, but I’ll at least give them a shot.
My to-read list isn’t happy about this, but some sacrifices are worth making.

pewpewcachoo Wrote:
MarikoRawralton Wrote: I've been working on a sequel to my book for like a year now and I've been stuck for literally months. It has been one of the most frustrating and stressful moments of my life.

But then I realized that no one really cares.

Like, I don't think anyone's really sitting on the edge of their seat for the next Knights Himura book.

Now I feel a little better about taking forever. It'll be ready when it's ready.
Use the writers block to write something else? Like a totally different story. Maybe about space?
Or LitRPG DrakanPotato

Everything I'm publishing here has at least been written as drafts, or at the very least a few scenes here and there.
I don't have to put anything on hiatus because all I really need to do is proof and format the drafts into something palatable, or take each scene and build out a chapter off of them. 
I'm pretty sure I could have an additional four series going, but for that I think I'd have to invest a lot more time than I'm willing. I really like time off to recharge my batteries.

DrBuller Wrote:
pewpewcachoo Wrote:
DrBuller Wrote: somebody has tried to usurp the throne of nr 1 on the wriathon half list. Guess who's releasing 100k words in the next 24 hours
But did you really write them during this month? Does it really count if you are posting stuff not written during the contest?
Well, I wrote 180k last month in preparation for the writathon cuz I don't have any fucking time to write this month. Thought I would just do it a bit early and ride the wave. Not that I can that now since another guy has prepped to such an extreme degree I need to write more than a human should do in the space of 3 days.

Expect me to reach 300k by the end. Maybe.

Don't you fear to be disqualified talking about it this openly? After all the rules say:

royal-road-anniversary Wrote: Q: Can you participate with what you've written before the start of the challenge? 
A: That is against the spirit of the challenge. While we can't confirm when you wrote something, the challenge is to write and publish 55,555 words in the duration of the event.

That sounds much like a "Don't tell, don't ask"...

whoever Wrote:
DrBuller Wrote:
pewpewcachoo Wrote:
DrBuller Wrote: somebody has tried to usurp the throne of nr 1 on the wriathon half list. Guess who's releasing 100k words in the next 24 hours
But did you really write them during this month? Does it really count if you are posting stuff not written during the contest?
Well, I wrote 180k last month in preparation for the writathon cuz I don't have any fucking time to write this month. Thought I would just do it a bit early and ride the wave. Not that I can that now since another guy has prepped to such an extreme degree I need to write more than a human should do in the space of 3 days.

Don't you fear to be disqualified talking about it this openly? After all the rules say:

royal-road-anniversary Wrote: Q: Can you participate with what you've written before the start of the challenge? 
A: That is against the spirit of the challenge. While we can't confirm when you wrote something, the challenge is to write and publish 55,555 words in the duration of the event.

Well he did tell kana about it already, so no? plus pretty sure this happens every year, the numbers are just bigger this year. Nothing more. Plus at the end of the day Buller is writing 150K this month, pretty sure that completes the spirit of the writiathon even if it runs a bulldozer over the word of it. 

Verlin Wrote:
whoever Wrote:
DrBuller Wrote:
pewpewcachoo Wrote:

Well he did tell kana about it already, so no? plus pretty sure this happens every year, the numbers are just bigger this year. Nothing more. Plus at the end of the day Buller is writing 150K this month, pretty sure that completes the spirit of the writiathon even if it runs a bulldozer over the word of it.
I am likely the participant wirting the most, yes. I am just also putting out backlog so that I can actualyl gain the position I would have gained if nobody else also put out their backlog.

DrBuller Wrote:
Verlin Wrote:
whoever Wrote:
DrBuller Wrote:
pewpewcachoo Wrote:

I am likely the participant wirting the most, yes. I am just also putting out backlog so that I can actualyl gain the position I would have gained if nobody else also put out their backlog.

That's what you're likely doing. 😂 lol