Re: The Fancy Pants Kids of RoyalRoad

Jack0fheart Wrote:
pewpewcachoo Wrote: So how is everyone this lovely Friday night?

Thanks for the new banner Jack.
You're welcome! Just got home from work and now making a lucky someone a cover and banner
Nice, I am about to start working on the next chapter. I am thinking i might cut down my chapter lengths a little to 1500 words. I would still write more if i am stopping in a bad spot. But it looks like most people only post 1-2k words a chapter. Some people post 5k+ words a chapter, but they update less then the others.

pewpewcachoo Wrote:
Jack0fheart Wrote:

You're welcome! Just got home from work and now making a lucky someone a cover and banner
Nice, I am about to start working on the next chapter. I am thinking i might cut down my chapter lengths a little to 1500 words. I would still write more if i am stopping in a bad spot. But it looks like most people only post 1-2k words a chapter. Some people post 5k+ words a chapter, but they update less then the others.
1-1.5k chapters are an advantage in web novels, especially RR.
  1. Bite-sized and addictive "just one more"
  2. Less stressful to write, easier to edit
  3. More exposure on latest updates
  4. Extra view count for ranking and badges
  5. People are more likely to read your story when there are more chapters
All in all, you shoot yourself in the foot if you write any more than that, people complain if you go under 1k, though

Jack0fheart Wrote:
pewpewcachoo Wrote:
Jack0fheart Wrote:

All in all, you shoot yourself in the foot if you write any more than that, people complain if you go under 1k, though

Eh, all that being said, if you're insane enough to post 5k+ chapters and keep up quality and quantity, it's an insane boost. Plenty of people like to read long stories here, and a large novel length makes good reviews that much more credible and impactful.

Though I've only seen a few people insane enough to pull that off. I might be able to, if I could force myself to write consistently...

Litrpg101 Wrote:
Jack0fheart Wrote:
pewpewcachoo Wrote:
Jack0fheart Wrote:

Eh, all that being said, if you're insane enough to post 5k+ chapters and keep up quality and quantity, it's an insane boost. Plenty of people like to read long stories here, and a large novel length makes good reviews that much more credible and impactful.

Though I've only seen a few people insane enough to pull that off. I might be able to, if I could force myself to write consistently...
Pretty sure Buller is doing it. With 3K chaps but...still big

Verlin Wrote:
Litrpg101 Wrote:
Jack0fheart Wrote:
pewpewcachoo Wrote:
Jack0fheart Wrote:

That's traditional novel length chapters, I started like that but put research in and ended up dividing them before uploading my first story. It worked in my favour and now I can't bring myself to write longer 😂

Artim Wrote: I have a response. They could't replicate the problem. I send a picture this time. It did found it annoying, but since I made ticket I found a way around my problem and I also think that I understand why it does what it does. So I wouldn't mind if they don't fix it. It desn't annoy me anymore.
I had the same with a minor issue. Not a huge deal but it can be somewhat personally annoying.

Jack0fheart Wrote:
Deerkat Wrote: I’ve reported eighteen bugs, with a few of them being intentional or already reported. And this is over the course of about a month. Also, I think the mods are actively responding to the thread, because for the first time a mod proactively gave me the bug report achievement. I have never once mentioned it, but got it anyway. Then again, it might also be because it was a different mod, than I usually get a response from. Of course, I should have the ten bug report achievement, but I won’t complain.
You will just have to get it at the next tier 😜

Sometimes checking in helps. They don't have an automatic tracker so bringing their attention to it sometimes help. I got most without having to say anything but one of the earlier ones (but not the first) required a prompt. Too many users methinks and sometimes the numbers of reports can get quite high and are hard to track.

Belated, but good to see you back, pewpewachoo. And being productive as usual! Also like your name banner from Jack.

Verlin Wrote:
Litrpg101 Wrote:
Jack0fheart Wrote:
pewpewcachoo Wrote:
Jack0fheart Wrote:

Think little things can help but the most important is just uploading many chapters often over a long period of time. The little things help make it a little better, but if they prevent you from uploading many chapter often over a long period of time, might not be worth doing. But if you weren't likely to be doing that anyway, might be worth a try on a more experimental novel where you are trying to figure out what best suits you and your style.

Litrpg101 Wrote:
Jack0fheart Wrote:
pewpewcachoo Wrote:
Jack0fheart Wrote:

So far i am writing 2k+ to almost 4k chapters. I would write smaller ones, but they just don't feel right to cut off. This next chapter i am working on will be shorter like 1.5k But it seems to end at a good spot.

msng Wrote:

Belated, but good to see you back, pewpewachoo. And being productive as usual! Also like your name banner from Jack.

Verlin Wrote:
Litrpg101 Wrote:
Jack0fheart Wrote:
pewpewcachoo Wrote:
Jack0fheart Wrote:

Think little things can help but the most important is just uploading many chapters often over a long period of time. The little things help make it a little better, but if they prevent you from uploading many chapter often over a long period of time, might not be worth doing. But if you weren't likely to be doing that anyway, might be worth a try on a more experimental novel where you are trying to figure out what best suits you and your style.
Thanks, i was always here. I just didn't have the extra time to waste on the forums. So i stopped coming by for a bit. I should be good now, but i am trying to spend only a bit of time here, instead of like 2-3 hours a day...

I just write my chapters, and they end where they feel right. Which so far has been 2k+ long.

Also thanks, Jack's banner is pretty awesome.

Jack0fheart Wrote:
Artim Wrote: I have a response. They could't replicate the problem. I send a picture this time. It did found it annoying, but since I made ticket I found a way around my problem and I also think that I understand why it does what it does. So I wouldn't mind if they don't fix it. It desn't annoy me anymore.
If they do fix it, you'll receive the badge
I'd happily do without the badge if they fixed the bug I reported. But all I got 2 years ago was a "Seems like a bug, I'll report it to the devleoper.  Thanks for reporting!", closing the ticket. But the bug is still there....

whoever Wrote:
Jack0fheart Wrote:
If they do fix it, you'll receive the badge
I'd happily do without the badge if they fixed the bug I reported. But all I got 2 years ago was a "Seems like a bug, I'll report it to the devleoper.  Thanks for reporting!", closing the ticket. But the bug is still there....
Report it again? It might be to much of a hassle to fix or only very specific things cause it to happen.

Verlin Wrote:
pewpewcachoo Wrote:
DrBuller Wrote:
Verlin Wrote: Pretty sure Buller is doing it. With 3K chaps but...still big
Don't make 3k chapters. Anything above 2.7k is a waste of views
2 of my chapters are 3.5k words... It's okay though, my newest chapter is 1550 words and I think it was well done. It even ends on a high note.
My chaptes are usually 1 to 1.5K words
I think i am going to aim for at least 1.5k words or more from now on.

pewpewcachoo Wrote:
Verlin Wrote:
pewpewcachoo Wrote:
DrBuller Wrote:
Verlin Wrote: Pretty sure Buller is doing it. With 3K chaps but...still big
Don't make 3k chapters. Anything above 2.7k is a waste of views
2 of my chapters are 3.5k words... It's okay though, my newest chapter is 1550 words and I think it was well done. It even ends on a high note.
My chaptes are usually 1 to 1.5K words
I think i am going to aim for at least 1.5k words or more from now on.
Nice!

Jack0fheart Wrote:
pewpewcachoo Wrote: [quote=Jack0fheart]
[...]

Short chapters meaning more chapters has one disadvantage for fictions not published at once but in installments (aka web serials), though: It is takes more efford to write good chapters keeping your readers. For that a chapter needs to covertly reintroduce your characters and story at the start of the chapter and end the chapter properly, leaving the reader with the feeling that it was a good idea to read the chapter. Both is some work and it can be hard to do it an some random place. You can do without, but that severely reduces your potential reader base. (Though if you have enough of them that you only need your biggest fans, focusing on them might even be beneficial, as casual readers give more mixed reviews and are less likely to support you financially, anyway).