Re: The Fancy Pants Kids of RoyalRoad

Deerkat Wrote: What are the unsaid rules of Royal Road? I need answers, pronto. 

unless there aren’t any, in which case just ignore me.
I have some. They might be more of a "culture" rather than hard rules, but maybe you will find them useful:

Don't change the default font/size, it will make it hard to read, and most readers will be forced to mess with the settings, to overwrite the font back to their normal one for reading. Some will leave right away, when they see the formatting is weird. 

Don't rate stories 0.5 unless you want to break the author's heart and make them sad.

Don't spam your discord-buddies to all favourite and follow your fiction, write dishonest reviews or spam comments, that's vote manipulation.

Don't private-message your readers "Hey, I saw you stopped commenting, are you still reading UwU ? Just a friendly recommendation to pick up where you left off..." It's awkward and annoying, and they will probably not come back if you keep pestering them about it. The honest anwser is usually "I got bored of it -_- Leave me alone".

Don't downvote every positive review of a story when you don't like it. It's rude. If someone else liked it, that's fine. Downvoting a review makes more sense when it's just wrong, or the review is full of jibberish, or it's insulting the author/readers/genre, etc. 

Feel free to give Rep+ to the people who comment under your fictions. It's expected, so if you don't, then the commentator might think you hated the comment. They might be discouraged from commenting more. Also, when giving Rep+, if you can give from [1,5], be generous with it. Giving it only 1 rep is like rating that comment 1/5, it's a bit unpleasant to see. (Because the default behaviour is to give max rep). It's ok to give less Rep+ for "thanks for the chapter" generic comments, though.

If people give you typo edits and grammar fixes in the comments, it's a good idea to implement the edits if you agree with them. If you don't, the commentators might think you're lazy or don't care about mistakes like that. It's not a great look. ESPECIALLY when multiple people suggest the same fixes, only to see that the same mistakes have already been mentioned by others, but the author hasn't fixed them.

Don't call the popular novels trash just because they're LitRPG/Xianxia/Dungeon core and you dislike those genres. No, they're not popular just because they're a "trash-genre". They're popular because they're entertaining and people like reading them. And many are really well-written, too. Flaming them on the forums makes other (usually smaller) authors look petty/jealous, in my opinion.

Don't engage in flame-wars with the readers in the comments/forums/PMs, it never ends well, and will only make you stress. There's no win to be found "against the horde". 

Don't assume that you're the hottest thing since sliced bread, and start demanding changes from the Admins after being here for 3 days (or 3 weeks). RR is a complex and delicate ecosystem, and probably 99% of suggested changes would do it more harm than good (which is true for any change to any complex system, usually). Well-meaning changes often have negative end results, and unpredictable side-effects or exploits. And many changes would be straight up impossible to implement, or too resource-intensive. It's a huge site with a huge user-base. Money for these things doesn't grow on trees: I think most (if not all) of the staff are volunteers.

Also don't assume that your story is the hottest thing since sliced bread, and keep crying on the forums about how you're not getting any readers. Everybody's in the same boat, playing the same game. The average follower-count of a story is about 10, I think. The median is 0 or 1. It's perfectly normal for your story's readership to remain small. Do what you can to market it and promote it, but complaining and crying about the numbers makes you sound a bit arrogant. ("My story is amazing and deserves so much more!!!!" etc.)

If you have advice or criticism for a story you're reading, which is directed at the author, it might be better to send it as a PM instead of a Review. The review's purpose is not to talk to the author and give them advice: it's to inform readers about the story, and try to rate it objectively. And if you're writing a review for a story you don't like, it's also good manners to at least mention the parts of the story/writing/characters that executed well. Try and be fair about it :)

This is pretty much everything I can think of, on the fly. Might've been smarter to post this as a seperate thread. 

Ararara Wrote: I have some. They might be more of a "culture" rather than hard rules, but maybe you will find them useful:

Don't change the default font/size, it will make it hard to read, and most readers will be forced to mess with the settings, to overwrite the font back to their normal one for reading. Some will leave right away, when they see the formatting is weird. 

Don't rate stories 0.5 unless you want to break the author's heart and make them sad.

Don't spam your discord-buddies to all favourite and follow your fiction, write dishonest reviews or spam comments, that's vote manipulation.

Don't private-message your readers "Hey, I saw you stopped commenting, are you still reading UwU ? Just a friendly recommendation to pick up where you left off..." It's awkward and annoying, and they will probably not come back if you keep pestering them about it. The honest anwser is usually "I got bored of it -_- Leave me alone".

Don't downvote every positive review of a story when you don't like it. It's rude. If someone else liked it, that's fine. Downvoting a review makes more sense when it's just wrong, or the review is full of jibberish, or it's insulting the author/readers/genre, etc. 

Feel free to give Rep+ to the people who comment under your fictions. It's expected, so if you don't, then the commentator might think you hated the comment. They might be discouraged from commenting more. Also, when giving Rep+, if you can give from [1,5], be generous with it. Giving it only 1 rep is like rating that comment 1/5, it's a bit unpleasant to see. (Because the default behaviour is to give max rep). It's ok to give less Rep+ for "thanks for the chapter" generic comments, though.

If people give you typo edits and grammar fixes in the comments, it's a good idea to implement the edits if you agree with them. If you don't, the commentators might think you're lazy or don't care about mistakes like that. It's not a great look. ESPECIALLY when multiple people suggest the same fixes, only to see that the same mistakes have already been mentioned by others, but the author hasn't fixed them.

Don't call the popular novels trash just because they're LitRPG/Xianxia/Dungeon core and you dislike those genres. No, they're not popular just because they're a "trash-genre". They're popular because they're entertaining and people like reading them. And many are really well-written, too. Flaming them on the forums makes other (usually smaller) authors look petty/jealous, in my opinion.

Don't engage in flame-wars with the readers in the comments/forums/PMs, it never ends well, and will only make you stress. There's no win to be found "against the horde". 

Don't assume that you're the hottest thing since sliced bread, and start demanding changes from the Admins after being here for 3 days (or 3 weeks). RR is a complex and delicate ecosystem, and probably 99% of suggested changes would do it more harm than good (which is true for any change to any complex system, usually). Well-meaning changes often have negative end results, and unpredictable side-effects or exploits. And many changes would be straight up impossible to implement, or too resource-intensive. It's a huge site with a huge user-base. Money for these things doesn't grow on trees: I think most (if not all) of the staff are volunteers.

Also don't assume that your story is the hottest thing since sliced bread, and keep crying on the forums about how you're not getting any readers. Everybody's in the same boat, playing the same game. The average follower-count of a story is about 10, I think. The median is 0 or 1. It's perfectly normal for your story's readership to remain small. Do what you can to market it and promote it, but complaining and crying about the numbers makes you sound a bit arrogant. ("My story is amazing and deserves so much more!!!!" etc.)

If you have advice or criticism for a story you're reading, which is directed at the author, it might be better to send it as a PM instead of a Review. The review's purpose is not to talk to the author and give them advice: it's to inform readers about the story, and try to rate it objectively. And if you're writing a review for a story you don't like, it's also good manners to at least mention the parts of the story/writing/characters that executed well. Try and be fair about it :)

This is pretty much everything I can think of, on the fly. Might've been smarter to post this as a seperate thread.
https%3A%2F%2Fi.kym-cdn.com%2Fentries%2Ficons%2Fface...-texto.jpg

MUMUMUATAMU Wrote:
Ararara Wrote: Don't rate stories 0.5 unless you want to break the author's heart and make them sad.
My rating is always 5☆ because i only rate story i like. Giving rating less than 5☆ usually have negative impact statistically IMO. Ex. Story with 4.3☆ average get 4☆ rating. This is one of 5☆rating system weakness
since i only rate what i review, i feel the same
i don't like having negativity beside my name
if i don't appreciate a tale, i move along
when the radio's annoying, i just change the song
DrakanAmused

eric_river Wrote:
MUMUMUATAMU Wrote: Congratulation eric_river 3 of your reviews get to top reviews in home page RR  DrakanWine
holy smokes, the stars must have aligned with what i rate
that must mean it's prime time to sit down and cultivate
i'll just take a week or two to quickly meditate
maybe this time i'll get jade bones too, i cannot wait! 🐲
GG eric_river

A full review of meaningfull poetry, all in fourteener.. awesome ! 
(like your posts here.. that takes dedication, hard work and training ... well done)

GG mumu for having noticed it :)

Joe Wrote: I truly am sorry if this offends anybody, but I was wondering why I have been sent a picture of a duck? Is this some obscure ritual that I was otherwise unaware about? And I am similarly confused on what I am meant to respond with, and I would be happy to get some advice on the matter

Never had that happen to me, but I am pretty new to Royal Roading (is that the verb?).

Deerkat Wrote:
Joe Wrote: I truly am sorry if this offends anybody, but I was wondering why I have been sent a picture of a duck? Is this some obscure ritual that I was otherwise unaware about? And I am similarly confused on what I am meant to respond with, and I would be happy to get some advice on the matter

Never had that happen to me, but I am pretty new to Royal Roading (is that the verb?).

He was sent an unsolicited picture of, most likely, a completely uncensored duck. 

If it never happened to you, consider yourself lucky.