Re: Howdy, good to be here

The name's Sylas.

I'm still fairly new to writing and sharing that writing with more than close friends. Enough of them yelled at me to try pursuing it in earnest, so here I am now in the process of writing at least 3 books at once.

The first of which has now been approved for this site, and in celebration I've put the first five chapters up. You can expect at minimum a chapter a week.

I have two other books in progress I'm working on, but as those don't have cover art I won't be able to post those yet. They will also be updated at minimum once a week.

I'm still learning, still growing, always looking to improve my craft. I'm already loving the site and wish I had found it sooner.

You'll find I write under the overly broad genre of "speculative fiction". Which is a different way of saying I write various types of fantasy and sci-fi with other genres thrown in for seasoning.

Welcome!

A mixture of genres sounds nice. Unless it is a reinvention of a genre, reading the same stereotypical thing can get a little boring.

You might want to include links to your stories in your forum post signature so that every post becomes an advert for you. You can do this by going to your settings and edit your signature there or use the following shortcut url to get you there faster: https://www.royalroad.com/account/signature

Xian also created a pretty good signature creation guide (https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/107061) if you want to do something more advanced in it.

Hope this helps and that you enjoy your time here!

msng Wrote: Welcome!

A mixture of genres sounds nice. Unless it is a reinvention of a genre, reading the same stereotypical thing can get a little boring.

You might want to include links to your stories in your forum post signature so that every post becomes an advert for you. You can do this by going to your settings and edit your signature there or use the following shortcut url to get you there faster: https://www.royalroad.com/account/signature

Xian also created a pretty good signature creation guide (https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/107061) if you want to do something more advanced in it.

Hope this helps and that you enjoy your time here!
Even when I don't completely mix up a genre, I aim for making it a unique experience that's going to have its own feel.

And I appreciate that! I've given it a shot so we'll see how it goes.

And thank you!

SylasWrites Wrote:
TheWritingBirb Wrote: Hello there!

Three novels at once? @[email protected] I barely can manage the one I have going..

But I wish you luck in your endeavor to become a pro writer!
Surprisingly, I've found my productivity increased since going that insane route. It helps to switch between ideas/worlds.

And thank you!

I totally get that! While writing my novel I always have new ideas for something else. Maybe After I'm done I'll try your route. Although three novels are still scary to me I'd try two. Btw do you have synopsis of the three? I'm intrigued by how they differentiate

TheWritingBirb Wrote:
SylasWrites Wrote:

Three novels at once? @[email protected] I barely can manage the one I have going..

Surprisingly, I've found my productivity increased since going that insane route. It helps to switch between ideas/worlds.

And thank you!

I totally get that! While writing my novel I always have new ideas for something else. Maybe After I'm done I'll try your route. Although three novels are still scary to me I'd try two. Btw do you have synopsis of the three? I'm intrigued by how they differentiate
Well, of note I've pulled all three from responses I've done over on the writing prompts subreddit.

The one I have up on here, Between Mountains and Moons is...let's call it old middle eastern flavored high fantasy and dealing with the supernatural forces at work in the world that may or may not be slowly making things worse.

The second is "Guardian's Folly, Dryad's Melancholy" about a man who accidentally helps a dryad and gets lightly drafted into a supernatural world and the hidden conflict in the modern day world.

The third is "I Got A Rock" about a young mage who just got into magic school where everyone has a familiar to help/protect them. His family was not well off so they bought something that technically counted from the resident mad mage. A pet rock. It turns out to be far more than it seems. This one is, to my mild surprise, the most popular of the three.

There are some common themes between them, namely of exploring and getting acquainted with a world of magic. Some supernatural romance. Of note there's a forbidden fourth book idea that's on the backburner because there wasn't as much interest. Namely magic knight who rescues dragon princess. That one being less exploring a world of magic with fresh eyes, more adventuring through a world of magic.

I've realized I'm a fiend for supernatural romance and at some point I'll break away from that. I do have the ideas for it, namely some supernatural/pre-apocalyptic horror with decidedly no romance. Far off in the future I've got an epic fantasy planned, psychic flavored cyberpunk, space opera seasoned with mystery and cosmic horror, and retro-scifi dramedy.

I just happened to get some common themes that rose to the top and found some popularity at the start. At some point in the theoretical future when I have a decently sized fanbase I'll throw all of those into a poll or something to see what the people want to see next.

SylasWrites Wrote:

And thank you!

Howdy and welcome!

Out of curiosity, how do you keep track of your novels?
Do you plot down characters, important event, and places, as you write?
I’ve always been curious as to how other writer stay consistent in their work. Does it happen that you overlap plots between novels mistakenly? If not, what tools or advice would you suggest?

Best regards

RainGear

RainGear Wrote:
SylasWrites Wrote:

And thank you!

Howdy and welcome!

Out of curiosity, how do you keep track of your novels?
Do you plot down characters, important event, and places, as you write?
I’ve always been curious as to how other writer stay consistent in their work. Does it happen that you overlap plots between novels mistakenly? If not, what tools or advice would you suggest?

Best regards

RainGear
I always feel somewhat odd giving writing "advice" because I feel so much of it comes down to preference and personal style. I bring that up as I preface any "advice" I give mostly being what I personally do.  If you find something else works for you, then by all means go for it.

In the sliding scale of "planners vs pantsers" (i.e. do you plan a story or do you write it by the seat of your pants) I am at the fairly far end of pants. For some of my stories, I've started keeping a document of important terms/names that I have invented for the story. As I mostly write by the seat of my pants, these are documents that get edited as these terms come up rather than when I think of them. I do this because in my own style, a concept of what something is that I've had in my head for a long time may change by the time I actually get to it. But once I do get to it? It is set in stone. I may spend a good deal of time thinking over, for example, a new monster and how it works, its place in the world, and how it has affected everything else in the world. Mostly my memory is good enough that I don't write it down, but I'm trying to get into the habit of writing more of these concepts down both for my own reference and so that in some future where I have editors who can't see inside my head, they will be able to refer to this sort of loosely thrown together reference document.

A similar situation is going to come up as I delve into more "historical" events in my works where I have a perfectly clear running image of it in my head, but for the convenience of all I will write it down as it comes up in story. I've found this "fluid until the words hit the page" approach works well for me because I write from a method of following events as they progress. I have a world, I know the history, rules/mechanics, and general inhabitants of the world. I then think about what kind of story I want to tell, and to tell that story I'll come up with some characters who should be able to reach that "goal" because they are capable of doing so, and not because I the writer/the plot needs them to do it. I then drop these characters in the world and follow them on the path to that goal.

As for overlapping plots? Most of my plots are different enough that that has never really happened. I moreso worry about characterization getting mixed up, but the more I write for a character the more I get a feel of what they would do. A good way to help reinforce this thinking is give them a few quirks, and define how they react to certain things early on. What do they love, and what do they hate? What keeps them going? From there, as I write I always keep those in mind and what, if anything, would change those aspects of them. You could keep some external character notes in this case but the way I write, I try to make it clear enough that if you need a refresher on why a character is acting different now, just go back and read and it should be all clear.

Biggest "advice" I can give, and my main approach, is to spend lots of time thinking of your world as a series of connections and questions. For example, how exactly would the world change if there were some people who had a surefire way of telling if someone is knowingly lying? How did it affect governments? How does it affect common people? The media? And from there, you keep asking yourself questions.

As you can see, I can get a bit rambly sometimes on subjects I find interesting but I hope this was insightful and helpful.