Re: What program do you use to write?

Ramingo Wrote: with a cool extension that turns it to dark mode

What extension? I needs

Derin_Edala Wrote: For plotting and tracking details I keep a personal little wiki using Zim,

What's Zim?

L.J.Anders Wrote: Google Docs isn't going to cut it for that because of how it lags with longer documents

Personally, what I do is type out each chapter in a separate doc from the whole thing, that way it doesn't get too long. Plus that way when I add it to the big doc I can re-read and edit it. I don't have the full 60k word doc downloaded onto my phone, but that doesn't bother me much cuz I can pick up and keep writing whenever and wherever I want.

David Wrote: Seems like a lot of work

Hey, the more you work on it the better it'll be at the end ^.^

TurbulentMuse Wrote: I switched to docs because it has an undo button

The most valuable out of all the buttons. Fite me.

Coop500 Wrote: I know it's probably not a popular choice

Who cares! For being the art of putting words in a row, writing is super different for everyone, and we all need to find what works best for us individually. That's why I asked what everyone uses, to find new things to try!

This might seem weird, but I use Visual Studio Code.

This is because I write in Markdown format.  VSCode has syntax highlighting and built-in version control, among other features.  The main reason I switched to VSCode was because it provided the best preview window which was suitable for copying a formatted chapter into various webpages (including RR).  But I don't actually use that anymore, because now I have a Python script which automatically processes my chapters into html pages whenever I save my story document.  This has also allowed me to add a lot of custom formatting shortcuts for displaying complex MMORPG interface stuff, so I don't have to manually write out a lot of boilerplate html code each time.  My programming is done in VSCode too so it's nice to keep my writing in it for consistency of interface.  I switch between programming and writing a lot some days.

Mad Wrote: Personally, what I do is type out each chapter in a separate doc from the whole thing, that way it doesn't get too long. Plus that way when I add it to the big doc I can re-read and edit it. I don't have the full 60k word doc downloaded onto my phone, but that doesn't bother me much cuz I can pick up and keep writing whenever and wherever I want.

That's not why I need something like MS Word.

WriteitNow separated my chapters so I don't have a bunch of separate documents. I can focus on one chapter at a time and switch between them with ease all within the same document.

What I need Ms. Word for is when I finally get to the point I need to get ready for an epub version. For what I want to do, the novels need to be in Docx. I can export the story with WriteitNow to Docx. However, I need something to work in so I can go through it a make sure the formatting for the entire document is good as well as everything written is as good as it can get. One can move through a large document with ease as long as you set-up navigation for it.

I write with Scrivener (Scrivener 3 on the Mac), and after the first five minutes, I couldn't imagine going back to Microsoft Word. Scrivener is just way, way easier for arranging and managing scenes and chapters. Of the other apps people have mentioned, the only one I've tried is Google Docs, but it's always been far too slow and cumbersome to use for doing any significant amount of work.

I use Open Office by preference. It is freely distributed, updates regularly, is well supported, and it's Write processor program the equivalent to anything Microsoft serves up for hundreds of dollars. It can drop or import any file type, has full font support, including a 3D font package, graphics import/design/export ability with full manipulation,  and full integration into its complete spreadsheet, database, math processor package, and presentation modules , which are all fully implemented. It is also supported with an extensive commercial, and user supported template and plug-in library, with dictionary support in almost any language of choice.  It is cross platform, and support is provided by Apache.  In fact, most competing packages are clones or offshoots  of Open Office, originally a Sun Systems product.  I prefer it to Microsoft Word, and it natively drops files in .ODT format unless set for .Doc or whatever, which saves space over .Doc formats. It also can generate standard PDF files.It also makes an excellent publication formatter, handling as it does, full covers, Curvilinear color 3D fonts , picture inserts, overlays, Underlays, print through, watermarking, propagating Column formats, drop caps, pica level re-spacing, basically all the bells and whistles if you set it up to do so, and full documentation. Free download and unlimited use, fee free.

I've had most of the main processors out there from Word, Word Perfect forward, in most revisions, including most of the freeware and cloneware stuff,  all fine and good, but O.O. is  a satisfactory solution, dependable and complete, so Ive no reason to change. Don't miss my typewriter or stocks of white out, and you would have to pull away the ability to boilerplate text and change things on the fly from my cold dead hand, while bent over my dead body.
*It does not support .DocX fully, though it can read and import it okay, as of my version, but then, ,DocX is proprietary, and not compatible with much of anything else. It the third time Microsoft has buggered the world by changing to oddball formats no one else supports, and for which they want to charge big fees to license. Luckily, Microsoft  products support (most) of their old formats, and everyone else's common formats, as do most other processors . 

I like to use Word when writing.  At one point, I thought about writing with Doc, but then, recently, I was helping someone write on Doc—and they lost some of their work (they probably hit the wrong key when selecting something)—and Doc had saved the change.  Long story short, we couldn’t recover what was lost on Doc because of the auto saves.  Regardless, I’ve saved copies of my work on Google Drive just in case my external drive or laptop somehow loses my writing, which has happened before. 

Plotfactory is my weapon of choice. I love the organsation of it - being able to organise my stories by univers, create character/object/place sheets to keep track of all my world building it amazing. Has a great quality drafts tool, word count session goal tracker thingy to keep me honest and most importantly for me, it also has a narration tool that really helps me proof read and edit.

At the risk of sounding like a corporate shill here, but I absolutely adore pf.

I've tried many apps, can't remember them all. I do remember the one's I used the most which were: 

For Android:
Writer Plus (pretty basic)

Pure Writer (it was better and it helped me organise chapters more. I think I stopped using it due to a few bugs and the developer blocking everyone that gave feedback)

Novelist (It was hard to understand it for me. fantastic for organising, not so much for writing imo)

Jotterpad (I love this one. gets the job done. plus you can backup to drives easily)

For PC I used manuskript for a while then switched to Scrivener. Scrivener is the best so far and it's what I've been using since plus Jotterpad for when I'm out or just want to write an idea.

I'm just starting out, using Visual Studio Code for everything and writing in markdown. This lets me use GIT version control to keep track of what changes over time, gives me a preview that is close to what the chapter will look like once I format it for submission, etc. All my supporting data - character info, race descriptions, story outlines, etc - go in subfolders so that they're separate from my chapters and to make things easier to find.

Formatting is mostly via simple HTML generation from the markdown (I'm a programmer, so this might not be for you) with a little bit of hand customization on the output before pasting it into the HTML source of the RR editor. This gives me a lot more control over the format of the output, which is nice. Takes a bit of trial and error to get it looking nice in both light and dark modes though.

VSCode has a huge number of plugins that help out too.

C. Wrote: I'm just starting out, using Visual Studio Code for everything and writing in markdown. This lets me use GIT version control to keep track of what changes over time, gives me a preview that is close to what the chapter will look like once I format it for submission, etc. All my supporting data - character info, race descriptions, story outlines, etc - go in subfolders so that they're separate from my chapters and to make things easier to find.

Formatting is mostly via simple HTML generation from the markdown (I'm a programmer, so this might not be for you) with a little bit of hand customization on the output before pasting it into the HTML source of the RR editor. This gives me a lot more control over the format of the output, which is nice. Takes a bit of trial and error to get it looking nice in both light and dark modes though.

VSCode has a huge number of plugins that help out too.

Are you me?  That's remarkably similar to my process.

To automate it, I detect whenever a source document for a story is saved (using the watchgod python package, which is an improvement/variation on watchdog), then invoke the markdown to html (with various preprocessing and postprocessing steps, including a bunch of manipulation using Beautiful Soup).  Well actually I produce a django template for each chapter.  And then any pages I have open are automatically reloaded to reflect the changes.  So I can get a pretty much instant preview of changes without any intervention needed.

However my story with fancier formatting hasn't hit RR yet so I'm not sure how well that will work out.

dimsum Wrote: I like to use Word when writing.  At one point, I thought about writing with Doc, but then, recently, I was helping someone write on Doc—and they lost some of their work (they probably hit the wrong key when selecting something)—and Doc had saved the change.  Long story short, we couldn’t recover what was lost on Doc because of the auto saves.  Regardless, I’ve saved copies of my work on Google Drive just in case my external drive or laptop somehow loses my writing, which has happened before.

FWIW: Doc has a revision history, where you can go back in time, completely aside from the undo button.

Access via the last edited blah blah in roughly the middle of the header.