Re: RoyalRoad is the first site I've found that listens to its members

At the beginning of January, myself and many others contributed to emperor yair's debate topic, 'stories that the author delete the content to sell on amazon should be deleted from this site.' While not everyone agreed with the proposition in the title, everyone agreed we need a way for authors to tag their stories as excerpts/ teasers and that readers need a way to filter these out of their search results.

One month later and February's patch notes said the following:

Quote:Fictions can now be marked as a Stub to indicate that the majority of their content has been removed. Additionally, you can now exclude them via the advanced search page. Further options might be added in the future. 

I'm quite amazed at how quickly the RR staff implemented this change. I'm a 'Wattpad refugee' for many reasons, but this has consolidated my decision to move over here. For starters, Wattpad no longer has a forum for users to discuss the site, and even if a lot of people got behind a movement like this, I doubt we'd see anything done about it for at least six months to a year (if Wattpad even acknowledged our complaints).

Another thing I've noticed is how readily the admins interact with us when we have problems. In Lime_Lover's 'Uneven Achievements And Annoying OCD' it only took 5 days until Wing (an admin) showed up with images of different variations of star arrangements on the achievements. Not only that, but they altered them depending on feedback within the thread.

I don't have anything else to add other than thanks, RoyalRoad. Keep doing what you're doing. I'm glad I found you.

Before the suggestions section of the site was added I posted to the forum both the idea of adding nested comments in the comment sections to make reading comment discussions far easier and the idea of having the default page width not be gigantically wide and be more in line with standard published words per line width making a story look more professional and readable to a new user.

iirc both my ideas were added within the month, I was impressed to say the least.

Even more impressive in that I believe there are only two full-time staff on this site (Wing and kanadaj), helped by some part-time mods. 

Though not sure if that might be what helps make it more efficient, as there are not a whole bunch of people getting in each other's way and making needless bureaucracy...  🤔

It does mean that support tickets for non-critical issues might be a little slow though!

JenifryConan Wrote: At the beginning of January, myself and many others contributed to emperor yair's debate topic, 'stories that the author delete the content to sell on amazon should be deleted from this site.' While not everyone agreed with the proposition in the title, everyone agreed we need a way for authors to tag their stories as excerpts/ teasers and that readers need a way to filter these out of their search results.

One month later and February's patch notes said the following:

Quote:Fictions can now be marked as a Stub to indicate that the majority of their content has been removed. Additionally, you can now exclude them via the advanced search page. Further options might be added in the future. 

I'm quite amazed at how quickly the RR staff implemented this change. I'm a 'Wattpad refugee' for many reasons, but this has consolidated my decision to move over here. For starters, Wattpad no longer has a forum for users to discuss the site, and even if a lot of people got behind a movement like this, I doubt we'd see anything done about it for at least six months to a year (if Wattpad even acknowledged our complaints).

Another thing I've noticed is how readily the admins interact with us when we have problems. In Lime_Lover's 'Uneven Achievements And Annoying OCD' it only took 5 days until Wing (an admin) showed up with images of different variations of star arrangements on the achievements. Not only that, but they altered them depending on feedback within the thread.

I don't have anything else to add other than thanks, RoyalRoad. Keep doing what you're doing. I'm glad I found you.

That's cause the RR staff are awesome! 

I hear that they don't even need sleep anymore. They've evolved past that. 

the hard work and investment of the site creators is astounding. in less then a decade they have created just 2 of them what royal road legends is today,
and manage it in an unbiased and remarkable way.

but i am torn inside...
on on hand i want to see, for creating this site, their aspirations succeed and this site becoming huge.
on the other hand, i liked the site when it was little and everyone were all fan fiction litrpg fans and writers.
what should i hope for? i know the 2 wishes cannot co exist in realty...
or maybe they can? (start researching mass mind control, operation pinky and the brain is a go)