Re: Let's Be Honest

I wrote this thread because I suddenly had the thought that I am only here because I have read all my favorite novels to the limit.
All my favorite novels have either ended in the translated version, mtl, or take a long time to upload. 
Think about it, Martial World, My Wife is a Beautiful CEO, Peerless Martial God, Ancient Strengthening Technique... etc. are all finished. 
There are few good novels remaining and those like 'Against The Gods' and 'Tales of Demons and Gods' upload literally a single chapter every month TF?

Are there any good novels remaining that are not finished and do not upload one chapter a month. The only thing I hate more than no upload is slow uploads that ruin your immersion every time. I rather wait two years for the chapters to increase so I read everything at once. 

Let me know what you think, and drop your favorite completed or slow uploading novel below!

Cybernetic Dragon is a (slow updates/hiatus/hopefully not dropped) story I've been following, it's a gamelit isekai following the life of a  dragon and a nanomachine ai interface that latched onto it.

Another one that's been hiatus hell is Hilda Finds a Home following the journey of a dwarf as she ventures into a dungeon for loot in order to buy a fancy home. Quite humorous if a little raunchy at times, with a few fourth-wall D&D spoofs here and there. The world-building was amazing and the action scenes were well-written I think.

The_Young_Flash Wrote: I wrote this thread because I suddenly had the thought that I am only here because I have read all my favorite novels to the limit.
All my favorite novels have either ended in the translated version, mtl, or take a long time to upload. 
Think about it, Martial World, My Wife is a Beautiful CEO, Peerless Martial God, Ancient Strengthening Technique... etc. are all finished. 
There are few good novels remaining and those like 'Against The Gods' and 'Tales of Demons and Gods' upload literally a single chapter every month TF?

Are there any good novels remaining that are not finished and do not upload one chapter a month. The only thing I hate more than no upload is slow uploads that ruin your immersion every time. I rather wait two years for the chapters to increase so I read everything at once. 

Let me know what you think, and drop your favorite completed or slow uploading novel below!

Yes. Yes there are. There are tons of good novels that are still updating. But, that depends on what you count as "good". From the examples you mentioned you are interested only in super-popular and super-long cultivation/op-protag stories. Most novels are nothing like this. 

You might like The Primal Hunter I think, if you haven't read it..? Idk, I don't read asian or asian-imitating fictions so I can't recommend any. Maybe Forge of Destiny, it's a bit similiar to Tales of Demons & Gods, but slower.

You can go to the "Popular this week" tab or "Ongoing fictions" tab and every fiction there will be active, with several new chapters per week. I'm sure you can find at least one new "good novel" there, that suits you. :)

SJ Wrote:
Edgelord2020 Wrote: I'm quite new here still, but 2025 has been having some steady uploads, though it's not that popular and still new

For a second, I thought you were from the future. I wanted to know if I'd finished any books yet.

But if someone told you yes, you've finished a book in the future, would you ever finish them? What if you would've finished all your unfinished projects in a blaze of glorious inspiration, but in this timeline it never comes to be, because you'll always asume you'll finish it later? 

The_Young_Flash Wrote: I wrote this thread because I suddenly had the thought that I am only here because I have read all my favorite novels to the limit.

TBH IF you are bored and like fantasy and do not know what to read, give A Game of Thrones a try. I am not kidding when I say that GRRM is a true magician and that is the best thing I have ever read, and I have read close to a thousand books.

Second, if plugging your own work is okay, I would invite you to check out my work. It is an original fantasy with elements from Indian mythology. Short summary is it is about a perfect human Prince but a darkness starts eroding his dreams and he discovers all is not what it seems. There is a bigger story at play here, a story involving Gods and Demons. But I do intend to keep my story and characters very human and their stories personal. Link: https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/39679/rakhtabhushan-blood-ornament 

If you feel interested give it a try. I try to upload 2-3 chapters a week, and starting this week, I might drop chapters on weekends in batches and see how it goes.
peoeyesparkle

DownSyndromeShadowAssassin Wrote: Defiance of the fall updates often.

And you can also check out the manga made from those novels you mentioned.

I'll be sure to check it out then. I am always looking for potential good reads now that all the good authors are not writing anymore. It is time for fresh blood. 

DownSyndromeShadowAssassin Wrote: Defiance of the fall updates often.

And you can also check out the manga made from those novels you mentioned.

Defiance of the fall is amazing but it's not hosted widely enough to be considered amongst the greats. It is hosted mostly on RoyalRoad here, but I believe in its future potential if is ever published I'd be the first to buy and read. XD 

As for the mangas, I don't like them very much. The mangas make the novels feel a bit silly and also comforting. 

FantasyBliss30 Wrote:

TBH IF you are bored and like fantasy and do not know what to read, give A Game of Thrones a try. I am not kidding when I say that GRRM is a true magician and that is the best thing I have ever read, and I have read close to a thousand books.

Second, if plugging your own work is okay, I would invite you to check out my work. It is an original fantasy with elements from Indian mythology. Short summary is it is about a perfect human Prince but a darkness starts eroding his dreams and he discovers all is not what it seems. There is a bigger story at play here, a story involving Gods and Demons. But I do intend to keep my story and characters very human and their stories personal. Link: https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/39679/rakhtabhushan-blood-ornament 

If you feel interested give it a try. I try to upload 2-3 chapters a week, and starting this week, I might drop chapters on weekends in batches and see how it goes.
peoeyesparkle

Haha, I am already reading your novel. I am glad that we have new material to read, I was just saying that all the truly famous works are on break or not publishing aymore. e.g. Tower of God and more...

Publius Wrote: There are way more good books than what a human being can read in a lifetime, and a vast number of these are freely available online in a non-serial format.

Well, recommend some.... I know that there are so many books but few truly awesome ones. And even if they're good ones, the internet never provides us with all the options. I read some awesome books in other countries that you would never find online because our respective countries limit our search capacity. I have seen this happen so many times.

The_Young_Flash Wrote: Well, recommend some.... I know that there are so many books but few truly awesome ones. And even if they're good ones, the internet never provides us with all the options. I read some awesome books in other countries that you would never find online because our respective countries limit our search capacity. I have seen this happen so many times.

If you like non-fiction, I would really recommend Ulysses Grant's Memoirs, it's one of the best historical memoirs ever written in my opinion.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/4367

If you like fiction, one of my favourite fantasy/sci-fi writers is Jack Vance, I would recommend basically anything from him. If you like picaresque novels Cugel's saga is a must read. I won't link it, because it's not in public domain yet, and I don't know how strictly the admins take that sort of stuff, but free versions of his books can be found.

Robert E. Howard's works on the other hand have already passed into public domain AFAIK, so I can link good old Conan:

https://studyhighschoolenglish.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/conan-the-barbarian.pdf

If you haven't read them, I recommend to have a look, it was surprising for me how different Conan is from his public perception. Usually, if you say "Conan" people imagine a naked muscle-brain, but in the original stories he uses his smarts as often as his brawn. He is also learned in his own, self-educated way, he reads multiple ancient languages. My personal favourite from these stories is the Jewels of Gwahlur, it shows Conan in his full picaresque-hero glory. Though I have to admit that some of the short-stories are really bad, like the Frost-Giant's Daughter.

If you like anime, you have probably already read Konosuba and Re:Zero, but if not, it's high time you treat yourself! For Konosuba I won't link English translations, because the author nuked his webnovel, but there is a very good English translation, and what's more, it's easy to find. For Re:Zero the webnovel is still available AFAIK, so I will leave the link here.

https://witchculttranslation.com/

If you want to be blown away, I recommend the sci-fi horror Blindsight from Peter Wattson, in my humble opinion it is the best sci-fi written in the XXIst century till now, or maybe ever. You can find it on the author's website here:

https://rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm

If horror is not your jam, and you want some goofy, light-hearted sci-fi, then I can recommend The Martian from Andy Weir. Again, I won't link it, because the author nuked his original webnovel, but it is pretty easy to find a free version via any search engine.

If none of these are satisfactory for you, then make some specifications, and I will see if I can find something along those lines.

EDIT: If I already mentioned Grant, I guess I can mention my other favourite memoir, which is none other than Caesar's De bello Gallico and De bello civile.

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:text:1999.02.0001

I will be sure to try them all. And yeah, I go to read on shintranslations.com every so often. Novels such as The New Gate is still up and running, and there are also some good ones on there. 
I read Konosuba, and Re: Zero. I am excited to try reading the rest of the novels you mentioned, and I urge everyone try it as well. 
Here is shintranslation for those who want to read something nice.

Link: THE NEW GATE ToC – Shin Translations

If anyone else has recommendations, just drop them in the thread. I'll read them and come back with some decent reviews. Of course, I recommend you try to find something that tickles your fancy on this site first. There are a lot of good novels on RoyalRoad, but they don't get as exposed as they would like Webnovel contracted Authors. 
I have to dig deep to find the truly awesome novels on this site.