Re: Killing off the characters you love

FantasyBliss30 Wrote: How is the experience when you have to kill off the characters you absolutely love and adore? Is it too depressing? How do you cope?
peoconfused

Change their backstory to contain some awful stuff and actions, so that you feel like you're rightfully punishing them. (But don't share them with the readers, you want them to stay maximally emotionally attached and heartbroken <3)

arashifufu Wrote:
FantasyBliss30 Wrote: How is the experience when you have to kill off the characters you absolutely love and adore? Is it too depressing? How do you cope?
peoconfused

Change their backstory to contain some awful stuff and actions, so that you feel like you're rightfully punishing them. (But don't share them with the readers, you want them to stay maximally emotionally attached and heartbroken <3)

Okay, now I am dreading all this even more.
peolaughing

I don't think I've ever actually killed a character I truly loved before. But with ordinary characters, I don't find it so hard because their story's end is not their life's end, and vice versa. If I like them, there are always more stories I can tell from before they died. Knowing where they die doesn't mean they're actually gone anywhere. Characters have whole lifetimes which are only briefly observed in the story.

Yes, it's highly emotional to write the actual scene, but that doesn't last more than a few days and then it's fine.

Asviloka Wrote: I don't think I've ever actually killed a character I truly loved before. But with ordinary characters, I don't find it so hard because their story's end is not their life's end, and vice versa. If I like them, there are always more stories I can tell from before they died. Knowing where they die doesn't mean they're actually gone anywhere. Characters have whole lifetimes which are only briefly observed in the story.

Yes, it's highly emotional to write the actual scene, but that doesn't last more than a few days and then it's fine.

Thanks! You give me hope! 
peolove

Listen to The Fray's How to Save a Life on repeat, then you'll kill them all off.

Or at least, I did.

However, generally I tend not to kill off characters unless a story calls for it. This is something I am toying with now because I currently have a large cast of characters about to engage in some pretty dangerous stuff and probability says they won't all survive. The question is which and why? The answer? Character backstory and history (not) giving them the skills they need to survive and no one being available to rescue them.

I generally don't, because I feel like there's always more to tell about them and taking them from the story just makes it worse. Although that may just be a justification because I don't want to.

In one manuscript, I originally intended to kill a character I really liked, but with a beta reader's feedback on the rewrite I changed it so she stayed alive, and is even the protagonist of the sequel I've planned. Of course, she still gets a pretty bad deal and is taken out of the action in that novel, so it didn't change the story much.

There's one character I have killed off in another story (more or less. It's complicated.). That was kind of the whole point of the story. I love that character as a character, but I also kind of hate him, and he's kind of intended to be hated by the readers. Plus the protagonist also has a love-hate relationship with him, so writing his death scene from her perspective was pretty intense. I may have shed a tear. I coped by focusing on what was coming in the story and how cool it would be.

DrBuller Wrote: I have already planned them all out, and it is going to be magnificent.

Oh yes. I have the most beautiful deaths written for my favorite characters. Dying well is the most glorious thing a character can ever do. 

I remember a play in Chicago that I did the lighting for back in the Stone Age of Man. It was a truly horrendous affair, except for exactly two things. The leading lady was gorgeous, and this good fellow I knew had the most splendiferous lines. I still can hear him say them.

"Dying? Why, I have died thousands of times. Yep. People say it's the best thing I do. D'ya need someone to die for you, eh? Well then, I am the man for the job. If there's someone that needs to be dying, just say, 'Hey will you die for us, mate?' And I do!"

Honor their sacrifice. 

These are the brave souls who sacrifice their lives for the betterment of the story. You musn't falter; write the best tale you can. If you stop, or hold back, their sacrifice will have been in vain. Drink that nectar of sorrow; pour it into your work. Let it flow through your readers bitter tears and sing through their heartache, so that the character may live forever, eternal. 

Write, my fellow paragon of words, god of could-have-beens, pathfinder through sorrows and heartaches. Write them their justice. 

(I KNOW THO DAMNIIIIIT WHY DO I HAVE TO KILL OF THAT ONE GUYYYYYYY)