Re: What are your favourite chapters that you have written?

Inspired by Lime_Lover’s post (check it out here if you have a favourite particular line you have written What are your favorite lines from your books? | Royal Road) , I felt it might be nice to also share and discuss a favourite chapter that we have written so far. 

What one are you particularly proud of the most?

Does it come at a pivotal time in the story?
Is there a turning point for a character’s journey?
Maybe it's for personal reasons?
Have you written the best damn battle scene/romance scene/up-levelling moment? (Is that what they're called?)

It’s great to lurk in on threads where people are wanting feedback and wanting to get better as a writer, but it’s just as exciting I think to share the work that we’re proud of, for whatever your purpose for writing.

For me, I have one coming up which is set in the past (that being said, the past in my timeline is still 2027..)
Nothing major happens… ish. We meet 2 of my characters at the start, as their relationship is rocky. Things don't get better either across the whole ‘season’. This one chapter at the middlish point goes back and explores the reason for their friendship falling apart. I just like the timing of it- there have been hints in the run up to it that suggest something happened, and whilst I like keeping the readers in the dark, it comes at a good time.

I have another too.. I’m also actually writing my second ‘season’ in the series, which whilst this particular chapter won’t be out for a long time I’m excited to get it typed up and edited.
I’m in love with comics and the way they tell stories. And I often picture what I’m writing as if it is being told in a comic- taking consideration into perspective, and angles, and character expressions. I also love how Quentin Tarantino directs his intense conversation scenes. This chapter though is a ‘two hander’, just 2 characters talking about “things that have occurred up until that point”.
I’m proud of it because I really tried to focus on the emotion of them talking and sorting out their differences. But also because something happened ‘off the page’ and it slowly unravels over time so as a reader I like to think you’ll be part of this moment between the two, knowing something happened, but it not becoming apparent what exactly until the middle. And I don’t think the not knowing detracts from it either.

I don’t know if I’m articulating it well enough, and I guess it’s hard when you all have no idea what I’m talking about.

So yeah, those are the two I'm proud of and enjoyed writing. 

Over to you if you feel like sharing!

So far, my favourite chapter has got to be Chapter 7. There's a huge shift in the storyline, all sorts of ineffable events happen in one chapter and there's lots of build up leading to one single moment that makes way for a smooth transition to the next arc of my web novel. That's as far as I can go without spoiling a thing.

I've written other chapters I think are also super cool in its own ways ahead of time but I won't mention them because I've obviously not posted them yet   XDD

My 'favourite' (dislike the least) chapter isn't actually one chapter, it's the end of one, and the start of the next, the same event from two different characters view, for the main lead it's a terrifying experience, for the second it's almost routine. I really enjoy the juxtaposition of the two.

The problem I have it's just after the middle of the story up to that point it's mostly character and world building plus locking down the story to that point so readers aren't asking themselves the same questions (I want them to ask new questions), that I found interesting, but I'm worried others won't and will then miss out on the more action packed second half

My lead character was raised to believe the world he now inhabits didn't exist so I had to get him to a point where he could be equipped mentally and physically to got out into the world, I also had to give him a home, a place he wanted to be for the first time in his life, so that when he's rescued/abducted by a paramilitary type organisation it didn't make sense for him to stay, which sets up the conflict with said group

I think the structure works, I wanted there to be an element of a long journey I just wish I could make a 'trailer' or something because I quite like some of the action sequences, which are far more common in the later half

I enjoy the first parts of both my short stories, Return and Destination: Tomorrow.

Return's first part introduces the two MCs and they're relationship, as well as the one MC's motives and motivations, and I appreciate how I deliver the world in the first paragraph and the interaction between the MCs, especially since one is a 7-year-old.

Destination: Tomorrow's first part also introduces the leading MC and supporting MC, and I just enjoy the way I wrote them meeting. It gives a good sense of both characters' personalities.

In Symbiosis, my favorite part would have to be...part 6 (second to last part), because the story's coming to a close and everything wraps up. I write a heartwarming conversation between husband and wife, and in my opinion, do a good job of setting up for the sequel.

My favourite thing that I ever wrote was actually a one shot fanfiction to properly examine the potential aftermath of an episode.

But assuming this only covers original stuff, then it's probably Chapter 5 of Endeavour. Where I get to delve into two characters' backstories and sow some friendship seeds between two people who don't necessarily want to get along with each other (they don't really hate each other, they just want to be on their own paths again), and I quite like what I got out of it in the end.

Otherwise I tend to just like specific scenes over whole chapters. Which doesn't really make sense, does it? 😆

Saga of the Cosmic Heroe's Chapter 39: Into the Dark and Chapter 50: The Words from that Day were two of my favorite chapters to write since 39 was an emotional near-death experience the protagonist experiences, and the latter was something of a heartfelt intertwining meeting between the protagonist and the deuteragonist (which had a lengthy excerpt from the Favorite Line thread) which comes after a pivotal battle between the two character's fleets.

Thanks for sharing! Our chapters can be difficult to talk about in isolation without perhaps spoiling something! It's nice reading about what you're all proud of and for why.  DrakanMelt

A lot of heart felt moments being chosen too, I'm noticing. I think maybe because we can relate to those kind of moments more from our real lives, more than the car chases and epic battles perhaps! :D 

FourPin Wrote: My 'favourite' (dislike the least) chapter isn't actually one chapter, it's the end of one, and the start of the next, the same event from two different characters view, for the main lead it's a terrifying experience, for the second it's almost routine. I really enjoy the juxtaposition of the two.

The problem I have it's just after the middle of the story up to that point it's mostly character and world building plus locking down the story to that point so readers aren't asking themselves the same questions (I want them to ask new questions), that I found interesting, but I'm worried others won't and will then miss out on the more action packed second half

My lead character was raised to believe the world he now inhabits didn't exist so I had to get him to a point where he could be equipped mentally and physically to got out into the world, I also had to give him a home, a place he wanted to be for the first time in his life, so that when he's rescued/abducted by a paramilitary type organisation it didn't make sense for him to stay, which sets up the conflict with said group

I think the structure works, I wanted there to be an element of a long journey I just wish I could make a 'trailer' or something because I quite like some of the action sequences, which are far more common in the later half

I like the sound of the juxtapositions! I think they can work really well and are an interesting way to tell an event or story. I like to follow up an action heavy chapter with a slower, more character driven one. 

Sometimes it does take a while though to build to something. Plus, the work done putting in at the beginning giving your MC his motivation will make the reader care more for the second half when it comes to the conflict. I'm sure the readers will be sticking around! :) 

EnhancedBeing Wrote: I like to follow up an action heavy chapter with a slower, more character driven one.

That was the original plan, two leads would alternate between action and less so, but as I built the world it didn't make sense for the character to go looking for trouble, or that there would be trouble in the parts of the world he was in. Plus it would have been too long, it's probably too long now
EnhancedBeing Wrote: Sometimes it does take a while though to build to something. Plus, the work done putting in at the beginning giving your MC his motivation will make the reader care more for the second half when it comes to the conflict. I'm sure the readers will be sticking around! :)

Hope so, I tried to build up the world/characters believably (relatively speaking) above everything else, there are intentional gaps within the narrative so I could revisit it

Basically if I planned on putting something at risk I tried to build it up first

EnhancedBeing Wrote: Wow, I'd never heard of Thunderbirds being fanfictionised before! I don't know what it says about the world where I strangely/scarily knew of Peppa Pig fan fictions before TBs!

Thunderbirds was my second fanfic fandom ever, after Back to the Future (and before Stargate).

It's hard to say what my favourite written chapter is.  I'm torn betwen Dreamtime 1, for it's floaty quality of rhyming words and concepts and repetition and snippets of dialogue out of context, Interlude: Cups for it's outside perspective on the usual POV character and alternate take on various character interactions, and Ghost Cache 0.6 (not yet publically available) for its sheer weirdness and defiance of convention and logic.

Hmm, looks like I enjoy my strange experimental stuff more than my standard writing.

EnhancedBeing Wrote: Wow, I'd never heard of Thunderbirds being fanfictionised before! I don't know what it says about the world where I strangely/scarily knew of Peppa Pig fan fictions before TBs!

I'm pretty certain there is fanfiction for literally everything out there. I remember seeing a minesweeper game fanfic once. 🤣

Also, Thunderbirds fanfic I how I came across the term "whump". Poor Virgil.

/Off topic.