Re: Describing Smells/ Aromas (Resource)

Describing the senses can be difficult without sounding repetitive. Expanding your sensory vocabulary is hard, especially if you're like me with my rubbish sense of taste and smell, and therefore lack strong sensory experiences to draw upon.

I came across the following resource while googling 'how to describe smell' and it's been useful so far. I'll link it below, and I want to add additional resources for describing the other scents as I find them. If you know of any straightforward, beginner-friendly, easy to reference resources for the other senses, let me know and I'll add update my list.

Aromatic (Smell)
  • World Food and Wine, Describing Aroma. This one focuses on describing scents and aromas of food and drink, and therefore can help you describe taste as well. Be careful not to use the wordier options unless your character is a seasoned wine taster or sommelier. The synonyms the site uses to define the harder words are often more useful, such as 'an aroma that tickles the nose' for piquant.

Re: Describing Scents (Resource)

Nice resources! Although, I would stay away from fancier descriptions such as Odoriferous, Muscadine, or Anosmic unless the character is a super-smart, highly educated science nerd. I would just use the simpler versions: Odoriferous = strong-smelling, Muscadine = aroma of grapes/grapy, or Anosmic = odorless. Like that, the readers don't need a dictionary to understand what is described.

What I use for some of my smells is also whiff. 

Re: Describing Scents (Resource)

Unfortunately, since it's a wine tasting site there's no way to avoid the fancy words. However, as you pointed out, the synonyms the site uses to define the more complicated words are more useful. One of my new personal favourites is using 'an aroma that tickles the nose' which the site uses to define 'piquant.' I'll clarify this point more clearly in the post.