Re: Using 'our' to refer to another person's characters

I've been torn over this, in stories that I really like I feel an urge to take 'reader ownership' of a character an cheer them on using 'our'. 

"Thing are finally looking up for our boy! Go get em' hot shot!" or "Hehehe, just wait till our little cuddle muffin catches up..."

That's the general idea. However, I'm extremely hesitant to do so unless the author themselves has used 'our' to address the character in question themselves. I don't have any baseline and have no idea if using 'our' would rub an author the wrong way, or if opinions on this topic are divided and I should judge on a case by case basis, or even if it would be an okay question to ask this in a comment section. I'd like for your opinions so I can get your guy's side too.

Am I just fussing over nothing?

Box-Fox Wrote: I've been torn over this, in stories that I really like I feel an urge to take 'reader ownership' of a character an cheer them on using 'our'. 

"Thing are finally looking up for our boy! Go get em' hot shot!" or "Hehehe, just wait till our little cuddle muffin catches up..."

That's the general idea. However, I'm extremely hesitant to do so unless the author themselves has used 'our' to address the character in question themselves. I don't have any baseline and have no idea if using 'our' would rub an author the wrong way, or if opinions on this topic are divided and I should judge on a case by case basis, or even if it would be an okay question to ask this in a comment section. I'd like for your opinions so I can get your guy's side too.

Am I just fussing over nothing?

You can adopt any of my characters. They are all super cuddle muffins, lol. 

Nah I don't have a problem with it. 'Our' in this context is also applied to real people and people don't take offense to that, because it doesn't signify ownership, just kinship. For example, "our protagonist" just means all the readers have a common denominator, aka reading the same book. 'Our boy' means the reader feels like the character is part of the group, aka they identify with him, which is pretty much the goal. 

If an author asks not to do it then don't, but it's not like 'our' implies slavery in reality or theft of intellectual property with fictional characters.