Re: Writing a sci-fi series about aliens and money

Hey, I started writing a story on reddit and then decided to look for a better site to host medium to longish stories.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/39729/galactic-economics

Here's the synopsis:

Quote:Humanity enters the galaxy and makes First Contact, only to begin to realize that not everything is at it seems. It appears that the galactic alien community has forgotten to invent some rather important economic concepts that human civilization has taken for granted.

This is a look at a hypothetical galactic scale barter economy, how that would work, or how as one of our main characters Sarah realizes... it doesn't.

And as the galaxy falls apart at the seams, it's up to the best and brightest in humanity to put things back together.

Story contains a lot about markets, logistics, development, and the best and worst of human history. Not so much Space Marines nuking aliens.
If that interests you, welcome aboard!

It is currently on chapter 8, out of a total of ten planned, but I plan to write other stories in the same universe, so I'll stick around for a while. :)
Beware that a couple of the chapters in the middle get pretty dark.

As for me, I haven't written anything in years. This is my first bit of non-technical writing I've done since... high school, so I'm very eager to hear any feedback and critiques of it. I think the quality of it has gone up since I started, but whenever I look back at my first chapters, I just can't seem to find a way to edit it to make it better. Maybe a rewrite is in order...

Welcome to Royal Road. Lots of people like sci-fi here and your story is unique so I hope it draws many readers. I understand going from technical writing to fiction. Feels good to write for yourself doesn't it. You should include a link to your story in your signature to promote it. As Cinn said, there's a lot of good information on the Forums. Hope you have fun here and that your story does well. Good luck.

Welcome.  Well of course RR is here to post whatever prose (within reason) you like. I am rather surprised more new authors don't workshop their efforts in critique clubs and sites first though, which is where most newbies earn their writing chops and advance their prose, as that's their purpose and reason for being. Not that you can't get sporadic aid and crit here, but it's a side issue for display sites usually.

Welcome. I like your topic; I've seen that kind of philosophical HFY story a couple of times back in some 60s and 70s short stories, and it's nice to see it again with an interesting take on the premise. I've had some professional experience as an editor on how to shape economies, something that no actual economist I've ever spoken to on the subject can wrap their minds around (even the ones reading SF&F) as typical economist training doesn't go into "what if things happened another way" lessons. I'll have to take a look at what you have and offer feedback. 

FAHyatt Wrote: I am rather surprised more new authors don't workshop their efforts in critique clubs and sites first though, which is where most newbies earn their writing chops and advance their prose, as that's their purpose and reason for being.

That's been a little hard for the last year, and doing an online workshop means you have to meet members first. 

"That's been a little hard for the last year, and doing an online workshop means you have to meet members first. "

Try Critter's.org, or other sites that appear in your browser when you look up "online writing clubs" circles or critique groups. Most are free to join, and you do not have to have face to face meetings to join. The main difference between online critique sites and places like RR is their purpose.  I formerly ran two such groups for over ten years and never scheduled a face to face meeting, ever. I also moderated another club, and was member in three others. None required in person meetings.   Live clubs do schedule actual meetings, but are not your only option.