Re: Help picking ideas please

Ramingo Wrote: Does indeed look a lot like Spice & Wolf, even the cover. Can't wait to read something similar instead of going back to the original for the 1000th time :DrakanWine:

That was intentional(the similarities of design) though I will warn you, it is also very differently from spice and wolf, it is essentially an iseaki set in an almost realistic medieval setting where the main char is a bard, and the main girl has been looked down on her whole life because of her birth, so she neither has the demenour or the attitude of Holo. I used spice and wolf as an example to explain how it would be focused on slice of life/ medieval realism and character/relationship development.

Zekharyah Wrote:
Ramingo Wrote: Does indeed look a lot like Spice & Wolf, even the cover. Can't wait to read something similar instead of going back to the original for the 1000th time :DrakanWine:

That was intentional(the similarities of design) though I will warn you, it is also very differently from spice and wolf, it is essentially an iseaki set in an almost realistic medieval setting where the main char is a bard, and the main girl has been looked down on her whole life because of her birth, so she neither has the demenour or the attitude of Holo. I used spice and wolf as an example to explain how it would be focused on slice of life/ medieval realism and character/relationship development.

It's fine, not every girl can be the best girl.  FancyDrakan

Jokes aside, I'm mostly looking forward to the rest since very few novels have done that in my experience.

They both sound like very interesting stories and I suggest writing both at some point if not at the same time. Though I personally lean more towards the second idea since it is something that is similar to the stories I like to read. Its also a very popular genre for this site and many others. However, the first story may end up being even more popular just because of its uniqueness. Sure it has the trope of ending up in another world different than Earth but with its low fantasy setting and him being a bard with a crossbow, it can bring a freshness that is very much needed. Funny thing a few years back I actually wanted to write a story based around a magical bard who traveled from town to town and from one world to another telling tales of his adventures and the stories of those he met while secretly being op mage. Also you first idea reminds of a story I read by Tedd Dekker called Black, it has a mc who gets knocked out on Earth to wake up on a alternate Earth that has Good and Evil in the physical form instead of the spiritual form(its a Christian based fantasy novel). The mc would fall asleep in one world to wake up in the other and that continues for the majority of the story since in both worlds he ends up having a crisis he must solve in order to save both worlds. 

oscblade Wrote: They both sound like very interesting stories and I suggest writing both at some point if not at the same time. Though I personally lean more towards the second idea since it is something that is similar to the stories I like to read. Its also a very popular genre for this site and many others. However, the first story may end up being even more popular just because of its uniqueness. Sure it has the trope of ending up in another world different than Earth but with its low fantasy setting and him being a bard with a crossbow, it can bring a freshness that is very much needed. Funny thing a few years back I actually wanted to write a story based around a magical bard who traveled from town to town and from one world to another telling tales of his adventures and the stories of those he met while secretly being op mage. Also you first idea reminds of a story I read by Tedd Dekker called Black, it has a mc who gets knocked out on Earth to wake up on a alternate Earth that has Good and Evil in the physical form instead of the spiritual form(its a Christian based fantasy novel). The mc would fall asleep in one world to wake up in the other and that continues for the majority of the story since in both worlds he ends up having a crisis he must solve in order to save both worlds.

Hmm, I have never read that book, is it any good? worth a read?

Zekharyah Wrote:
oscblade Wrote: They both sound like very interesting stories and I suggest writing both at some point if not at the same time. Though I personally lean more towards the second idea since it is something that is similar to the stories I like to read. Its also a very popular genre for this site and many others. However, the first story may end up being even more popular just because of its uniqueness. Sure it has the trope of ending up in another world different than Earth but with its low fantasy setting and him being a bard with a crossbow, it can bring a freshness that is very much needed. Funny thing a few years back I actually wanted to write a story based around a magical bard who traveled from town to town and from one world to another telling tales of his adventures and the stories of those he met while secretly being op mage. Also you first idea reminds of a story I read by Tedd Dekker called Black, it has a mc who gets knocked out on Earth to wake up on a alternate Earth that has Good and Evil in the physical form instead of the spiritual form(its a Christian based fantasy novel). The mc would fall asleep in one world to wake up in the other and that continues for the majority of the story since in both worlds he ends up having a crisis he must solve in order to save both worlds.

Hmm, I have never read that book, is it any good? worth a read?

I think it is a very good story and worth the read. Here is the description of the story Black by Ted Dekker. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Fleeing his assailants through deserted alleyways, Thomas Hunter narrowly escapes to the roof of a building. Then a silent bullet from the night clips his head...and his world goes black.

From the blackness comes an amazing reality of another world-a world where evil is contained. A world where Thomas Hunter is in love with a beautiful woman. Then he remembers the dream of the chase as he reaches to touch the blood on his head.

Where does the dream end and reality begin? Every time he falls asleep in one world, he awakes in the other-both facing catastrophic disaster. Thomas is being pushed beyond his limits...even beyond the limits of space and time.

Black is an incredible story of evil and rescue, betrayal and love, pursuit and death, and a terrorist's threat unlike anything the human race has ever known.

Some say the world hangs in the balance of every choice we make. Now the fate of two worlds hangs in the balance of one man's choice.