Re: Help picking ideas please

Hello all, I’m new here on royal road, and would like to start publishing a story, the problem is, I have two such stories started(both of which are near the 10,000 word mark atm so neither is significantly longer than the other )

I enjoy all of them and really need to focus on only one(I can always get back to the other one at a later date) and couldn’t decide which to do, so I thought I would ask everyone here.

1) A man falls asleep and wakes up in a low fantasy world, which he thinks is a really lucid dream, when he goes back to sleep he wakes up in our world. The process repeats several times until he finds that even if he falls asleep in the fantasy world he can no longer wake up in the real one. 

It is at this point he realizes it truly is not a dream, and stuck there he searches for a way to go back. The world is low fantasy, meaning magic is more rumored and mythic, and so he and a few companions hunt down an arch magus said to live on the other side of the continent.

Along the way he uses his skills with a guitar (which are fairly easy to translate to a lute, speaking from experience here) and adapts tales and songs from modern day.

Essentially it is the story of a traveling bard and a female halfbreed outcast as they try to find the arch magus. This one is more casual, with romance between the Mc and the halfbreed girl, as he dosent have the inborn dislike that others in the world do for her parentage.

2) when a man was fifteen he was marked by a god, which though rare does happen once every 1000 years or so. Each of these men end up as great historical figures, heroes and the like. Thinking this means he is destined for greatness he rises in rank and ends up a general in the army, and suffers defeat after defeat, until he is left with a battered army and only one stronghold, knowing it is all at an end and cursing the god that marked him he marches out alone to face the enemy army.

This is where the story starts, with him walking out and dying in a duel to the enemy’s lord. As his vision fades he wakes up, fifteen again, the very morning he was marked, only the mark is no longer there.

Realizing that the god allowed him to see what would happen in the next ten years he decides to use those years of experience to change things, with knowledge of the enemy, their tactics, tricks, disposition, and other important  moments he vows to protect his homeland and to change himself to be less arrogant and self serving.

Essentially it is a story about a blooded war veteran in his 15 year old body and given a second chance with intimate knowledge of the future. This one is a little more action packed though humor and romance both have a part in it.

Honestly I'd want to read both! I've been updating two stories at a time and it's worked out for me, but if you want to focus? I think the first story will find a more receptive reader base on this site. Portal Fantasy looks like it has a solid home here. 

If you don't care about that then the second story looks like it has the potential for real intense drama and good psychological story telling.

I say pick your favorite! Or the one that is currently the most fun for you to write.

I think the first idea could be very interesting. There are a lot of stories out there about a murder hobo waking up in a new world and just blowing shit up, but following a bard on an adventure would be fun. I have to ask though, would the bard be a "magic" bard? Like, would his songs sometimes do magic/unexpected things?

The second one would be popular with the current crowd. Having a character die and then start over is a popular concept and if you do it right, it has good potential.

A fusion of these ideas would be really cool, btw.

O_Weaver Wrote: I think the first idea could be very interesting. There are a lot of stories out there about a murder hobo waking up in a new world and just blowing shit up, but following a bard on an adventure would be fun. I have to ask though, would the bard be a "magic" bard? Like, would his songs sometimes do magic/unexpected things?

The second one would be popular with the current crowd. Having a character die and then start over is a popular concept and if you do it right, it has good potential.

A fusion of these ideas would be really cool, btw.

Well like I said the first one is sorta low fantasy, so there is magic but it is so rare that people live their entire lives and might only see real magic once. 

It’s got a more spice and wolf/slice of life style vibe, and the main character would basically be using it to ply his trade, imagine him reworking Star Wars to be understandable for a medieval audience or playing like say the unforgiven by Metallica on a lute(acoustic unforgiven sounds awesome btw) and you get the gist.

It would be a little more like a historically accurate bard, there would still of course be fights, their are bandits and such, as well as some other things I don’t wish to spoil, and the main character’s weapon of choose is a crossbow, as he is familiar with guns, so the basic concept is easy for him to grasp which makes it a better weapon for him instead of a sword or something, as he had never touched one before in his life.

Despite all of that it is more of an adventure/light hearted with a good amount of romance novel.

midnightrainbow Wrote: I would post both stories, then based on reception, stick with one and kill the other.

The issue with this is that I have a limited amount of time, full time job and all that. Which means that I only get a few hours a day to write, if I split it up between the both of them each story would only be getting one chapter a week or so(word count per chapter is 3,000 to 5,000) and I feel like more chapters per week on one novel would help get that novel more views.

Zekharyah Wrote:
midnightrainbow Wrote: I would post both stories, then based on reception, stick with one and kill the other.

The issue with this is that I have a limited amount of time, full time job and all that. Which means that I only get a few hours a day to write, if I split it up between the both of them each story would only be getting one chapter a week or so(word count per chapter is 3,000 to 5,000) and I feel like more chapters per week on one novel would help get that novel more views.

Oh, I was under the impression you had a few chapters of each story already written...

I've been posting one chapter a week on my current story and it's doing fine with views. It gets views even days after I post an update. But don't take my experience as the norm. Do what you feel is best for yourself. Good luck!

midnightrainbow Wrote:
Zekharyah Wrote:

Oh, I was under the impression you had a few chapters of each story already written...

I've been posting one chapter a week on my current story and it's doing fine with views. It gets views even days after I post an update. But don't take my experience as the norm. Do what you feel is best for yourself. Good luck!

I do have several chapters for each written, but I want to make sure my posting doesn’t  catch up with my writing to fast lol

Thanks everybody for the feedback, I decided to go for the first option as it seemed to have gotten the most support, I just submitted the book and will post the link here when it is accepted for anyone who wants to read it. For anyone who is interested I drew some cover art for it, and here is the synopsis.
https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FGw8IS6G.jpg

Synopsis: 
Markus was a simple man, a man who would have been content with a decent paying job, a woman who truly cared for him, and a few hours of downtime every now and again. Unfortunately, life hadn't conformed to his wishes the past few months. He had the decent-paying job, though it left rather too little free time in his opinion, and as for the woman, well, she had decided to leave for "greener pastures," all of which had conspired to put him in a rather foul mood.

This changed when he opened his eyes one morning to find himself in what could only be described as a medieval fantasy setting. Assuming it was a rather convincing lucid dream he found that upon closing his eyes in one he would wake in the other. Content to work during the day and explore the dream world at night he found that he felt happier, more fulfilled here than he did in the waking world. Everything was going smoothly up to the point he found that he could no longer leave the dream world.

Confronted with the only two logical possibilities, that either this was not a dream, or else it was and he was in a coma in the waking world he chose to accept the former, though doubts still lingered. Needing answers he decides to find the one person that might be able to give them to him, a Magus. A mythic figure that may or may not exist that is the holder of all knowledge and magic.

With a clear goal in mind, he sets out to find the Magus and to get his questions answered. Along the way, he meets a great number of people, including Elaisan, a half breed woman who, like all half breeds, is an outcast in both human and Alvaa societies due to her mixed parentage. The two of them decide to travel together, and as they wander together, performing "tales and songs" from his home, both suitably modified for the setting, he finds himself caring more and more for her...