Re: * * *

Nautilus Wrote: so that's what it's called

it seems like it has more use in physical books rather than webnovels though

I would whole heartedly disagree, it signifies a transition, regardless of medium (physical, electronic, ect). It started as a typesetting device, but has become a piece of literature. The dinkus, be it plain or fancy, is a scene change. A change of tone. It is emphasis of a traumatic event.  It can break sentences, paragraphs, or even words. The single character chapter pov may be popular now due to Grr Martin, but that is not the only way. I feel the dinkus is far more intersting, rather than sitting through a boring characters boring ass pov, we can jump to someone else doing something interesting. Even if you are doing single character POV chapters, a dinkus can skip past all that boring shit to something interesting later in the day. Or next week. Its that versatile.

Im not saying the dinkus has zero uses in webnovels, just that it probably has less. with physical novels the chapters are typically longer(I think) so the break that the dinkus provides can be used more effectively. And when I said it had more uses in physical novels than in webnovels, by no means did I say that a story should only cover a single character through first person perspective, I've no clue where you got that from.

I wasn't saying the dinkus doesn't have any good uses, quite the contrary, I quite like the dinkus. Most of my favorite stories use the dinkus, and it fits them quite well, often switching to a refreshing point of view before going back to the familiar view of the MC.

I'll stick to being a bad enough dude and using the horizational line thingy since it more or less serves the same purpose and has pretty options for premium users. I do use the dinkus in Scrienever to indicate a scene break for me though. 

I actually thought about using them when I started doing scene transitions. Using nothing made it impossible to tell that there was a sudden POV shift.
Don't remember why but I settled on just using a line of dashes... wierd since I definitely considered using these. Overall I'd say 3rd person stories where multiple POVs are important should think about using these, but not at every shift. I'd argue that only using it in a scene and POV shift is ideal.

When I'm writing my drafts, I'll tag specific parts with ===%%%=== or ===$$$=== so that I can Ctrl+f between various scenes quickly. It's just a thing I do so that I can continuously write from scene to scene, from story to story. 
They don't end up as part of a final draft; when it gets published and there's a scene break, I just use the horizontal line. 

I've always just used two dashes.
--
Like that. If given an entire line for itself, its purpose is obvious enough. As long as there's something there that lets the reader know that there's something special about that line, you should be fine. Hell, you could probably do something really goofy if you wanted.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Recently, I've been writing shorter chapters to make my stories more accessible, so I've been using scene breaks less and less. My later projects almost never have scene breaks. Personally, I aspire to have fewer scene breaks to avoid reader confusion. Not to say I think lowly of readers, I'd just rather have them thinking about what's written, not deciphering whatever weird formatting I use.

I would like to clear up a misconception yall seem to have and tell you that "***" is not a dinkus on it's own, when it is used to break a line is when it is a dinkus, otherwise it is just three asterisks in a row. "A dinkus is a typographical device to divide text, such as at section breaks."

so while you are laughing in premium I am laughing in knowing you still use something with a name like the dinkus.

Nautilus Wrote: I would like to clear up a misconception yall seem to have and tell you that "***" is not a dinkus on it's own, when it is used to break a line is when it is a dinkus, otherwise it is just three asterisks in a row. "A dinkus is a typographical device to divide text, such as at section breaks."

so while you are laughing in premium I am laughing in knowing you still use something with a name like the dinkus.

*still laughs in premium*

Some of my chapters are longer than others, most are around 4000, but some clock in 8, I'm 'happy' (I don't hate) where the ends are but I realise that's a little long.

Would it be better to upload them as 13a/13b or just put *** as a break?