Re: How thick is your author skin?

SJ Wrote: On the first chapter of my last fiction, someone commented that they liked my stories but would never follow me because I always drop them. Previously, I got a 0.5 advanced review on an ongoing fiction because they were sure I would abandon it like everything else, so they wanted to warn people.

Those hurt the most because I know they're right. I have abandoned a dozen fics on RR over the years, and have no doubt that people avoid my work for that reason.

At the same time, starting a new fic and seeing that as one of the first comments gutted me.

Only thing you can do is prove them wrong. That way, when you look back, you can say that you did so. I’m sure if you finished the story and that reviewer saw it was finished, he’d change his review. At least, that’s what I’m getting from the impression.

gwunders Wrote: Personally? I obsess over negative feedback. I explore it and try to determine whether it's meant to constructive, whether it's honest, or if there are some kind of ulterior motives. While it's unhealthy to take one opinion too harshly I also think it's an important skill to be able to not only learn how to receive feedback, but how to sort through it for the useful bits.

I think we are very similar in this sense, though I wouldn't say I obsess over negative feedback.

To me, it depends on what kind of negative feedback I get. If it's negative, well worded constructive feedback, I'm more willing to take a look at what the person told me, and if I agree with what they said, I'll try my best to correct what they critiqued, thank them, and move on. If the person didn't care about what I wrote, they wouldn't spend the time letting me know something can be better or corrected. Well, that's how I look at it lol. 

If it's negative feedback in the sense of just insulting me, I shrug it off. For me, it's easier to shrug that kind of stuff off because I'm not out here "trying to prove my worth as an author." The moment you take something like that seriously, is the moment those kinds of insults get under your skin, I find. When you just have fun and truly enjoy what you do, those comments are actually kind of funny lol.

There is a difference between being serious about being an author, and knowing that you can be an author. This applies to anything, really. I saw this a lot in competitive sports. Those who took the sport way too seriously were less able to handle negative/constructive feedback. Those who knew they weren't "perfect" or "the best" and trying to prove it were able to handle negative stuff a lot better.

All in all - I guess you can say negative feedback doesn't affect me as much becaue I don't make writing seriously. But I do take learning, and improving seriously... if that makes sense lol. 

Graffiti Wrote: Only thing you can do is prove them wrong. That way, when you look back, you can say that you did so. I’m sure if you finished the story and that reviewer saw it was finished, he’d change his review. At least, that’s what I’m getting from the impression.

But I'm so much better at proving them right, and I always try to go with my strengths.

That said, sure, he might change his review if I completed the story. But if I just shrugged and said 'eh, he'll see' I wouldn't describe myself as thin-skinned.

SJ Wrote:
Graffiti Wrote: Only thing you can do is prove them wrong. That way, when you look back, you can say that you did so. I’m sure if you finished the story and that reviewer saw it was finished, he’d change his review. At least, that’s what I’m getting from the impression.

But I'm so much better at proving them right, and I always try to go with my strengths.

That said, sure, he might change his review if I completed the story. But if I just shrugged and said 'eh, he'll see' I wouldn't describe myself as thin-skinned.

I wouldn’t call it thin-skinned either. But, I wouldn’t call it necessarily thick-skinned. Having thick skin to me at least means that, no matter what the review is, you can look at it whether it’s accurate or just a bunch of crap and go “lol whatever” and ignore it. 

Thick skin can be good to a fault. From what I’ve seen of your stories though it’s kinda boggling that you hiatus them when they’ve got such large fan bases. Like, 1k followers and up. Any reason you just stop?

Zat Wrote: or overly critical about some event they didn't like

Honestly, it depends on the event. If said event is bad writing, then I'd say it's fair game. If it's something like one character liking/hating another character, then it's not good criticism.

For example if the author decides to randomly kill off half the characters just to make the plot progress in a certain way, then I would say it's fair to criticize it. (not gonna name any names here but one of the series I reviewed did this exact thing, if you're curious just check my reviews)

SJ Wrote: On the first chapter of my last fiction, someone commented that they liked my stories but would never follow me because I always drop them. Previously, I got a 0.5 advanced review on an ongoing fiction because they were sure I would abandon it like everything else, so they wanted to warn people. 

Those hurt the most because I know they're right. I have abandoned a dozen fics on RR over the years, and have no doubt that people avoid my work for that reason. 

At the same time, starting a new fic and seeing that as one of the first comments gutted me.

Just a heads up, you can get reviews like that removed if you report them. It breaks rule 2.2 of the review rules (Do not write about unrelated content, including comments about the author's activities, other people, other reviews, etc). A review needs to be about the content of the story, it can't talk about stuff outside of that.

FlerpDooseMish Wrote:
Zat Wrote: or overly critical about some event they didn't like

Honestly, it depends on the event. If said event is bad writing, then I'd say it's fair game. If it's something like one character liking/hating another character, then it's not good criticism.

For example if the author decides to randomly kill off half the characters just to make the plot progress in a certain way, then I would say it's fair to criticize it. (not gonna name any names here but one of the series I reviewed did this exact thing, if you're curious just check my reviews)

Yes, definitely agree. I was more talking about comments on story direction. For example, I had a comment that was very upset that my MC decided to join up with some people they'd met. It was perfectly reasonable for my MC to have done so, but this commenter just really didn't like it. There is nothing wrong with them not liking it, but I'm also not going to worry myself over someone that doesn't like the story direction in general. My story just isn't for them.

Now... if no one likes the direction your story is going in, that could be something to look at, but even then, trying to fit your story to what other people want is a good way to kill your motivation to write it.

Zat Wrote: Yes, definitely agree. I was more talking about comments on story direction. For example, I had a comment that was very upset that my MC decided to join up with some people they'd met. It was perfectly reasonable for my MC to have done so, but this commenter just really didn't like it. There is nothing wrong with them not liking it, but I'm also not going to worry myself over someone that doesn't like the story direction in general. My story just isn't for them.

Now... if no one likes the direction your story is going in, that could be something to look at, but even then, trying to fit your story to what other people want is a good way to kill your motivation to write it.

I just take the comments as sanity checks. If you're doing fine, the comments will be fine. If you do something controversial, the comment section will go full blown M O N K E.

I guess one should always read the comments, but always take it with a grain of salt.

On the topic of trying to fit your story to what other people want or think is good, I kinda fell for that myself. Writing something for other people really does kill motivation, and I would definitely recommend all authors to just write what they want. (Obviously if you're trying to make money off of writing you'll have to write something the reader wants to read, but that's besides the point)

gwunders Wrote: This is a really solid point. Consider the source as well as the comment itself?

For sure, I think so. If you have totally different tastes from someone, and they say, "you suck!", then you just don't pay attention to them, and that's fine and healthy. On the other hand, if someone has an ambiguous taste profile, and they dislike your work, then it's going to be pretty soul-crushing -- because you'll be asking yourself, "hey, what if they're actually sages and are telling you the straight dope?" This is especially disappointing when you haven't got much of a reaction from anyone yet.

Meanwhile, if someone is vibing with a lot of your influences, but doesn't dig your stuff, then maybe you can tease some good notes from them. Getting feedback from those sorts of people is more exciting than threatening because you know their opinions aren't necessarily artistically useless. e.g., if someone who likes Black Mirror, Neil Gaiman, and China Mievelle reads my work, but doesn't like what I'm doing, then I'll take that a lot more seriously than someone who is just in it for the hentai (or whatever it is the kids on the front page are writing about). DrakanAmused

To be honest, I am still at the new author page and I am just glad and appreciative if they read what I wrote.  If they took the time to leave feedback, that is even better.

I have gotten a few suggestions.  I don't know what I would think if someone just said "This is absolute garbage.  I would rather eat rotten meat with maggots crawling in it than read this trash."

I suppose, I would think that my writing is not for them.  Maybe they will like a different book that I write.

It's definitely gotten a lot thicker over the years. When it comes to art, you'll always have people who aren't into your own taste, and who don't like it. A person might think Van Gogu was a hack of a painter, while the next person thinks he's a total genius. I think where I learned this was in the book titles The Pursuit of Perfection and How it Harms Writers by Kristine Katheryn Rusch. It's super short, like 45 pages or something. You might wanna check it out. She's an award winning editor, writer and teacher of creative writing.

oof.

Absorbant. I try sucking up anything that's thrown my way. Then again, I'm pretty much trying to suck evaporated water from a dry canteen with only a single drop in it. I have only one review, one rating, and two of what I kinda assume are drive-by .5s. Not sure, my story is probably bad enough to warrant them. I also get no comments on them either. I actually feel kinda confused about it. If I look at everyone else(not literally everyone. I'm definitely not alone.) with around the same size or even smaller amount of people who read their stories, they seem to have actual communication with them. I still appreciate them, but most of the people who read my stories seem like robots.
peojudging  
The stark contrast is actually pretty jarring.
I guess I just have silent readers. Other than maybe 2 or three people, the only comments on my stories are mine.
It might make another person feel sad or something about it, but my stories aren't polished. I kinda get it. It's basically "meh". You can read it, but it won't be something you'll love as far as I can tell. ;-;
But I must admit, I was pretty happy when I got my first(and only) thanks for the chapter comment. And I'm just going to ignore the fact that it ends in a question mark.
Then again, I have almost 3k views on one of my fictions now, and it hasn't really changed. 
But I'm a weird person, I do weird things, I say weird things, and I'm a weird author. Might be my fault rather than the fault of my story.
Oof.
Totally thin skin. 
I get K.Oed by a simple "It was decent" review. It's so thin that I hurt myself with my own words.
peodead
Maybe if I did have thinner skin it would help me see my own writing from another perspective easier. Not sure. Don't really have enough experience to say for sure.
If you want to read said "meh" story, its down here. Maybe aggressively advertising on a forum post page 3 will up my views.(Well, maybe one, but I doubt it.)
Edit: Forgot to mention, I rewrote my entire chapter one because of the flaws that the single review pointed out.
vvvv

wedgetail Wrote: Pretty thin. My heart starts beating extra fast whenever I get a new comment notification because I'm immediately dreading what that comment will say and I remember the negative comments a lot longer than the positive ones. It does help to occasionally reread the positive feedback I received in the past.

AHhhh This is me too. Like getting a neutral comment is as bad as getting a bad comment >.< I guess I have pretty thin author skin.