Re: How thick is your author skin?

I like encouragement, because it you know, motivates me to do that much better. 
I like feedback. a good criticism and critique will teach me what I need to do better, and I have a hunger to do better. win/win. 
I've got pretty thick skin, because nobody is a harsher critic of my works than me. Long before I've published something, I've already run the gauntlet against myself. 

Personally, I find that it stings just a bit. When I first uploaded my story, I had someone message me on Reddit telling me how much they hated my story due to a lack of blatant exposition. It bothered me for a while, but I decided that instead of being bitter, I asked what they'd prefer in the story. I know you can't please everyone with what you write, but getting those opinions and preferences from people that dislike your story can help you write.

With that same person, I decided to use their dislike of my character focus to write a more descriptive setting and sneak more exposition within the dialogue, which I feel has made the story even stronger. That's just one example, but I think you get the point. Criticism is great for improving your writing skill. Still, I have to admit that having those criticisms made publicly does kinda suck, especially when people are upvoting the one grilling you.

As I said, you can't please everyone. There will be groups of people that dislike your story, and there are groups that will love it and binge it at every opportunity. Take the criticisms from the first group, mix it with the likes from the second, and add in your own personal flair and tastes, and now you have a good story that isn't a chore to write. That's just how I feel, though.

It varies a lot for me.  With respect to my fiction here, I'm probably equanimous whether a review is negative or positive.  I've got a shitty rating, right now, and don't give a stuff.

However, my other, non-fiction writing is literally how I make a livelihood and it puts the food on the table and clothes on my children's backs, so I am super sensitive to critical reviews and people pointing out mistakes.  These books are published.  Don't point out my mistakes, because there's sod all I can do about them now!!  It takes 5-10 positive reviews and uplifting feedback to cancel out the emotional toll of every negative review - even really stupid reviews.

I got a terrible Amazon review on my first published book in which the reviewer criticized the mathematics in the book as "stupid".  His criticism was objectively wrong.  It was statistically illiterate and 100% incorrect and everything that's happened since that review has proved me correct again and again.  Yet I still remember that review, even though it was almost five years ago.  Can I remember any of the positive reviews on the same book?  Nope.

A negative review probably loses me somewhere between 20 and 100 sales over any given quarter and that can be the difference between being able to pay for my grocery shopping this week and not being able to.

In short, do not leave negative reviews for authors (EDIT - On Amazon or other commercial booksales outlets, not RR).  Leave them for scammers who took your money and gave you nothing, or who sent you obviously faulty goods and refused to replace them.  But if you buy a book and decide you didn't like it, just... don't say anything.  Unless its EL James.

EDIT - To clarify, by all means leave negative reviews on RR. Especially on my fiction.  This is the whole point of RR as a place for people to learn the discipline and craft of writing and where they have ample opportunity to make changes in response to your critical feedback.  I apologize if this wasn't clear.

Quote:His criticism was objectively wrong.  It was statistically illiterate and 100% incorrect and everything that's happened since that review has proved me correct again and again.

Where have I seen this before, I wonder?

Quote:In short, do not leave negative reviews for authors.

What happened to not caring if an opinion is wrong and taking what you can from a review? What happened to not caring if people thought the review was crazy or not? 
https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.discordapp.net%2Fattachments...image0.png

Curious. 

Ouch.  Dude.  Sharing a private correspondence on a forum is not polite.

But to directly answer the point, three things:

1. My issue with the review was with an objective point of fact.  He was of the opinion that a particular statistical outcome was incorrectly calculated.  He was wrong.

2. I didn't complain about his review, seek to have it removed or argue with it.  It's still there on that publication's Amazon listing, to this day.

3. That was a review posted on a finished, printed, published product so, even if he had been correct, there was nothing I could do to fix it.  All he was doing was robbing me of potential sales, affecting my livelihood.

By contrast:

My review on your fiction was a matter of subjective opinion.  You can disagree with me.  But my opinion is my opinion.  It was a review on an un-monetized and unfinished work, providing feedback with the intent of helping you to improve your work.

However, I will add an edit to my post to the point that I meant not leaving negative reviews on Amazon on published, commercial works.  Leaving negative reviews on Royal Road is 100% fine.

I’ll share whatever I want to point out hypocrisy. If you didn’t think it’d point you out as one and there was nothing wrong with it, you wouldn’t have a problem with it.

I can sit here and rip into how big of a hypocrite you’re being right now with your initial post with a ton of screenshots, but, it’ll get me no where, and I don’t feel like being extra petty right now. I just wanted to poke the bear a bit.

But, regardless, people have a right to leave their “incorrect” opinions on works, whether published or not. You should take a note from your own book and deal with it, no?

Unless you want me to go the whole nine yards and continue anyway? I literally wasn’t gonna comment on the thread till I saw that wild ass comment you made. But, as expected, the hit dog did holler.

Wait, wait, wait. So, it's okay for precintomega to openly accuse someone of cultural appropriation in a review because "I'm pretty sure the writer isn't Japanese", attack a WHOLE cultural setting because you think the story could be placed 'anywhere else and still work' (News flash, the Sengoku period didn't happen anywhere else, it happened in Japan), incorrectly accuse the same writer of emasculation of men (Graffiti literally is a guy based off his profile), WRONGLY criticize a plot point that anyone that read the story knew was unsubstantiated (like myself and the shit ton of downvotes his review got), and then, based off that screenshot, basically tell the writer you don't care if you just lowballed a story... That you OUT OF NOWHERE hopped on a swap thread to preemptively review DESPITE EXPLICITLY SAYING "I wouldn't like this story even if it was perfect" in your review, ON TOP of ADMITTING you were aware you weren't the target audience to begin with. . . Because the fiction is free?

But woe is me if the same thing happened to you? Because you just happened to publish it? Are you serious? Lmfao.

You literally are the definition of a jackass that thinks its ok when you dish out a bad SUBJECTIVE (not objective, please learn terminology) but then call a screenshot that shows you to be an ass as "impolite cause it's a private conversation" and have excuses 6 ways from Sunday to defend you being a blatant hypocrite. Wow. 

Sorry for derailing the thread; I don't write stories, but I do read them. If I DID write, hopefully I wouldn't think the same way as hypocrite over there. OP gets a rep as an apology for my rant. Sorry.  

Deathflare Wrote: Wait, wait, wait. So, it's okay for precintomega to openly accuse someone of cultural appropriation in a review because "I'm pretty sure the writer isn't Japanese", attack a WHOLE cultural setting because you think the story could be placed 'anywhere else and still work' (News flash, the Sengoku period didn't happen anywhere else, it happened in Japan), incorrectly accuse the same writer of emasculation of men (Graffiti literally is a guy based off his profile), WRONGLY criticize a plot point that anyone that read the story knew was unsubstantiated (like myself and the shit ton of downvotes his review got), and then, based off that screenshot, basically tell the writer you don't care if you just lowballed a story... That you OUT OF NOWHERE hopped on a swap thread to preemptively review DESPITE EXPLICITLY SAYING "I wouldn't like this story even if it was perfect" in your review, ON TOP of ADMITTING you were aware you weren't the target audience to begin with. . . Because the fiction is free?

But woe is me if the same thing happened to you? Because you just happened to publish it? Are you serious? Lmfao.

You literally are the definition of a jackass that thinks its ok when you dish out a bad SUBJECTIVE (not objective, please learn terminology) but then call a screenshot that shows you to be an ass as "impolite cause it's a private conversation" and have excuses 6 ways from Sunday to defend you being a blatant hypocrite. Wow. 

Sorry for derailing the thread; I don't write stories, but I do read them. If I DID write, hopefully I wouldn't think the same way as hypocrite over there. OP gets a rep as an apology for my rant. Sorry.

I wasn’t going to even go in like that tbh lmfao. I just wanted to take a pot shot, but, goddamn. Basically said what I wanted to in DMs before the guy just ghosted me and never replied.

If he hadn’t have said that one part, I’d have not bothered responding to him. It was that one specific paragraph that triggered the red light in me and I couldn’t help myself. 

The clear disdain for anything Japanese was what got me (I'm Japanese. Surprise Surprise!). Seeing "Don't set this in Japan' triggered a snowball effect. Like, the Warring Period is a unique part of Japanese history. Saying it could happen anywhere else is like me saying the Crusades could be set in historical Antarctica and still work, or the Vikings invasion of England wasn't unique enough to be written about. It's fucking stupid lol. You don't have to be a certain race to respect and be interested in the historical culture of something.

I'm not gonna even touch the emasculation part again. If Dirge had a dick and killed those "angry men" men, or if those men were "angry women" instead, I doubt precintomega would bat an eye. The story criticisms paled in comparison to the other shit he wrote about. I went full SJW LOL

ANYWAY IM DONE! Closing notes: Thick skin is required as an author IMO, but that doesn't mean it's not okay to feel disrespected by bad reviews. If something bothers you and there's 0 effort from the reviewer to work with you on a FREE SITE, yes, you have a right to have thinned skin.

Graffiti Wrote: ...
precinctomega

Whoa dudes. If you could keep your beefs to PM or forums meant specifically for that discussion? I'm a still a newb here and I don't have the clout to moderate this kind of fallout, but it sounds like you two either need to hash this resentment out or pleasantly ignore one another. 

Either way, stop it and let me vicariously live through with authors with stricter constitutions than me!

Deathflare Wrote: Like, the Warring Period is a unique part of Japanese history. Saying it could happen anywhere else is like me saying the Crusades could be set in historical Antarctica and still work, or the Vikings invasion of England wasn't unique enough to be written about.

I love ancient and Sengoku era Japanese history. It really was a unique period of history you don't find much of anywhere else, especially with the available details and record keeping. The whole thing reads like a soap action drama, even in non fiction.

Quote:Either way, stop it and let me vicariously live through with authors with stricter constitutions than me! 

Oh, I meant to touch in the OP anyway before I got distracted by my urge to pot shot lmao, as I said, I’m done with it. 

Back on topic, you tend to get thicker skin as time goes on. When I first started writing my original story called Dirge of Apocrypha, I was a noob at writing. I messed up tenses and everything constantly, and it surprises me to this day how that story managed to hit top 300 before it got bombed.

There was only one negative review that was a 3 star, which I was okay with, because it had valid points. It was the random rates that made me wonder if I did something wrong, so, I eventually deleted DoA and made a new story with greatly improved writing. 

Honestly? It may hurt, but thicker skin sometimes limits you from improving. If you look at every review you get THATS bad and go “whatever” to it and shrug it off, you won’t take it and improve. 

Thick skin can be beneficial but detrimental. I think you need a good median.

gwunders Wrote:
precinctomega

Whoa dudes. If you could keep your beefs to PM or forums meant specifically for that discussion? I'm a still a newb here and I don't have the clout to moderate this kind of fallout, but it sounds like you two either need to hash this resentment out or pleasantly ignore one another. 

Either way, stop it and let me vicariously live through with authors with stricter constitutions than me!

Deathflare Wrote: Like, the Warring Period is a unique part of Japanese history. Saying it could happen anywhere else is like me saying the Crusades could be set in historical Antarctica and still work, or the Vikings invasion of England wasn't unique enough to be written about.

I love ancient and Sengoku era Japanese history. It really was a unique period of history you don't find much of anywhere else, especially with the available details and record keeping. The whole thing reads like a soap action drama, even in non fiction.

Pfft don't get me started on talking about the Warring period, you'll never hear me stop LOL! Every time I see a story set in that era its an instant follow/fave. I'm also very defensive of it too because its such a popular and chaotic period that people sometimes dog it as cliche. Add in fancy superpowers and stuff on top of the sengo chaotic scene too and ahhhhhhhhhhh, I love it! If you play videogames you should give Sekiro and both Nioh a try. Sengoku era BADASS GALORE!

Deathflare Wrote:
gwunders Wrote:
precinctomega

Pfft don't get me started on talking about the Warring period, you'll never hear me stop LOL! Every time I see a story set in that era its an instant follow/fave. I'm also very defensive of it too because its such a popular and chaotic period that people sometimes dog it as cliche. Add in fancy superpowers and stuff on top of the sengo chaotic scene too and ahhhhhhhhhhh, I love it! If you play videogames you should give Sekiro and both Nioh a try. Sengoku era BADASS GALORE!

Lord have mercy Nioh 2 was so good. Literally my favorite game in recent times because of how fucking perfect everything about it was. It even inspired both my fictions in a way lmao. 

Sekiro was a true test of my willpower, though. That game right there literally dares you to throw your controller sometimes. Fucking Emma was not gentle at all with me the first time I fought her. Bitch took out half my health bar with one hit and I was like “WHAT”!?

Deathflare Wrote: Fighting Shibata Katsuie in Nioh 2 gave me period cramps. Literally the 1 boss I've never soloed. Shit, getting off topic again LOL ima hop away from here.

I can talk about history all day, every day, especially if someone has more education on the particularly subject than I do. I haven't played Nioh before, but I'm a big Souls fan so I'll put it on my list of ever-expanding Steam obsessions. 

But yes, let the topic resume over lamentations.

On the first chapter of my last fiction, someone commented that they liked my stories but would never follow me because I always drop them. Previously, I got a 0.5 advanced review on an ongoing fiction because they were sure I would abandon it like everything else, so they wanted to warn people.

Those hurt the most because I know they're right. I have abandoned a dozen fics on RR over the years, and have no doubt that people avoid my work for that reason.

At the same time, starting a new fic and seeing that as one of the first comments gutted me.