Re: Restarting my own story.

If the story you'll end up with will have the same plot/ characters/ themes, it may be worth keeping the original up. If you put an author's note at the start of the first chapter explaining how the story is on hiatus and you plan on re-releasing a more polished version, then the original can serve as a 'teaser' for the re-release.

However, if you're drastically altering the plot and characters in the re-write, delete the original. If you keep it up and re-direct the readers to the new version, they may be disappointed that the new version isn't faithful to the original.

Just post a final chapter/author note saying rewrite->here.  Then start a new fic.  Something readers do is recognize covers and fiction titles and say "not touching that one again".  If you keep the same fiction page, all you are doing is keeping all the negative opinions you've generated since starting your fiction.  You may have fixed all the problems the readers of the past had issue with, but because they know you, they'll continue avoiding you.  

It's the same idea as resubmitting a resume to the same employers over and over again.  They know they throw out resumes for no reason.  It's literally all they can do to reduce the mountain in front of them.  You may very well have better luck next time.  

I edit my stuff all the time. The stuff I pretty much threw out I’ll put in another one of my fictions that acts kind of like a mix of an archive/dump thing. It contains a lot of stuff that I wrote but I’m not including, things that I corrected so much that I threw out the original which will go in there. Etc.
I’ll just mark it as an archive of ch* (name of chapter)/original version 1.
But I also just have a few unrelated stories I’ll shove into it. 
It holds everything that I don’t want to get rid of, but I’m not going to keep.
Therefore, none of it is official anymore, but you can still find it.
You could try doing that, I guess? Added bonus of only having to copy paste the chapter.
Then again, all of my works are rough drafts that I’ve put up on RR to get help in refining them. So I’m more open to edits and deletions than most others.
There’s probably better suggestions out there. I’ve seen some fictions which include (rewrite) and stuff in the title.
Other than that, I’m pretty sure I don’t have anything else I can say about this.

JenifryConan Wrote: If the story you'll end up with will have the same plot/ characters/ themes, it may be worth keeping the original up. If you put an author's note at the start of the first chapter explaining how the story is on hiatus and you plan on re-releasing a more polished version, then the original can serve as a 'teaser' for the re-release.

However, if you're drastically altering the plot and characters in the re-write, delete the original. If you keep it up and re-direct the readers to the new version, they may be disappointed that the new version isn't faithful to the original.

I was looking for advice on this matter as well since I'm facing the same issues. I really want to thank the above for the advice.